I have an idea for a Netbook edition.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
memcginn

I have an idea for a Netbook edition.

Post by memcginn »

Hello, Editions Board.

I have an idea on how to make a Mint Netbook Edition based on UNR, and I'm probably interested enough to make it happen. The problem is that I've never created a Linux OS ISO image before (y'know, one for live CD/installation stuff), so if someone could give me a general idea of how to do that (and perhaps suggest a way to practice), that would be great.

Now, what I plan to do: Once I know how to make an ISO image of a Linux OS, I'd like to know how I would go about removing applications from a default Ubuntu installation. If I take UNR, subtract the stuff not in Mint Main, and add the stuff that Mint puts into the Main edition (including most of the Mint Tools, though some things, like MintMenu, wouldn't make sense), that should do it.

I feel like this would be the easiest way to do it, because I don't feel like dismantling the Main Edition and trying to figure out how to throw the UNR GUI over it. If there's a better process, I'd like to know. For what I suggested, I would like someone to walk me through the steps of creating the live CD ISO and removing unwanted applications. However this sort of thing gets done, I could sit here and do the busy-work for it once I know what the process is.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
amassakoul

Re: I have an idea for a Netbook edition.

Post by amassakoul »

A simple netbook-style UI need not mean a separate edition (though I'd be happy to see one), it could simply be a UI choice.

I'm planning to come back over from Ubuntu to Mint, because Mint can be trusted to stay a clean usable Debian-based distro without following all the fads and becoming loaded with bling and social webby stuff. I wouldn't mind having gadgets/tablets/play netbooks with such stuff on them, but I think it belongs in its own profile - Linux for mobile/gadgets/social netbooks.

So I want to put Mint on all the non-server machines I use - netbook and laptop/desktop. The Gnome LMDE version will soon shine on my work laptop when the 64-bit version becomes available - congratulations on an excellent job there, Mint people.

My question is about netbooks when they are used simply as small desktops.

Some people use a desktop-style UI on netbooks, but I find that for simplicity and best use of the screen, the pre-Unity UNR style is excellent. So on my parents' eee netbook, the distro is UNR (Karmic), and it's simple and reliable, though a bit unresponsive at times. Unfortunately for me but understandably strategically, Ubuntu has now gone for Unity, and other trendy netbook distros will probably either do the same, go with Gnome shell, or have their own web/social-oriented look and set of webby applications.

Is there anyone else like me who wants the standard apps for Gnome but with a UI that works well on a small screen?
I've seen elsewhere on this forum some interest in a Netbook edition of Mint. People took this to mean hardware optimizations for netbooks in Mint or adoption of a blingy UI, and replied that lighter standard Mint editions are enough for performance, and that there are distros like Peppermint OS for social and cloud-oriented apps. But what about standard Mint with a simple UNR-style interface, with the same apps and level of social stuff as the Gnome desktop? That doesn't necessarily mean copying the UNR. (I can live without the hardware optimizations and support for special keys out of the box, but maybe these work in Mint already).

The simple netbook style UI could be an install-time option, a standard set of post-install instructions, or an item in the Mint software manager. The same netbook UI option could also be offered on lighter versions of Mint for users that want snappier netbook performance rather than just a netbook UI for Gnome.
jesica

Post by jesica »

all the Mint runs on most of the laptops,

the community must focus on a server Mint edition :mrgreen:

I don't think Mint netbook will ever take of
amassakoul

Post by amassakoul »

Laptops don't suffer from the screen size problem - a UNR style UI's only needed for netbooks.

On what grounds do you think Mint netbook support wouldn't take off, jesica?

I'm trying here to find whether anyone else likes the plain UNR-style UI or uses it on Mint. Elsewhere on this board people are talking about a Mint MeeGo remix. Which would be a better fit for Mint? Maybe both - a simple netbook UI as an option for the various editions of Mint, plus a separate all-singing all-dancing Unity/Gnome Shell/MeeGo social gadget edition?

I know that there are instructions for manual installation of the UNR UI on Mint, but the packages would need to be maintained, since Ubuntu has abandoned them. Also, Mint may want to use different technology to replace them.
Gramps50

Post by Gramps50 »

When I bought my netbook I think I tried about every UNR distro that was available at the time. I didn't care for any of them. They were way to cutezy for me. Plus I didn't like the idea that I could only do one thing at a time. I know others like them but they just aren't for me. Currently I have LMDE on my netbook and it works just fine.

The above is just my personal opinion and likes and in no way reflects the liking of others.

Good Luck

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”