M-Audio Audiophile 2496 - no sound under Mint 9

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
loserxyz8

M-Audio Audiophile 2496 - no sound under Mint 9

Post by loserxyz8 »

Hi,

i have been using the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 for some time now. It used to work flawlessly until I think Ubuntu 6 or 7, but not at all in any version higher than that, and now it's not working in Mint either.

The point is: the system DOES seem to recognize the sound card, at least it's listed in that "Audio Properties" windows (or whatever this is called in English), but I simply don't hear a thing.
While using the Live-CD I actually got that sound-output-display to correctly SHOW when there should have been sound, though I generally would prefer to actually hear it.

I know literally nothing about the inner workings of a Linux system, from the stuff I found on Google I think there appears to be something called "Alsa" (though I don't really get what to do with it), and the speakers ARE turned on, I checked all of that, so please take that into account if you have any idea how to solve this problem.

Yes, I did search the forums for a solution to this, but I didn't really find anything that appeared to be too helpful (like: lots of ideas what to type into a terminal that only lead to a "application doesn't exist" message with me, because those tips were apparently written with an Ubuntu system in mind, i guess).

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: M-Audio Audiophile 2496 - no sound under Mint 9

Post by JasonLG »

loserxyz8 wrote:Hi,

i have been using the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 for some time now. It used to work flawlessly until I think Ubuntu 6 or 7, but not at all in any version higher than that, and now it's not working in Mint either.

The point is: the system DOES seem to recognize the sound card, at least it's listed in that "Audio Properties" windows (or whatever this is called in English), but I simply don't hear a thing.
While using the Live-CD I actually got that sound-output-display to correctly SHOW when there should have been sound, though I generally would prefer to actually hear it.

I know literally nothing about the inner workings of a Linux system, from the stuff I found on Google I think there appears to be something called "Alsa" (though I don't really get what to do with it), and the speakers ARE turned on, I checked all of that, so please take that into account if you have any idea how to solve this problem.

Yes, I did search the forums for a solution to this, but I didn't really find anything that appeared to be too helpful (like: lots of ideas what to type into a terminal that only lead to a "application doesn't exist" message with me, because those tips were apparently written with an Ubuntu system in mind, i guess).

Thanks in advance.
Enter this into a terminal.

Code: Select all

alsamixer
Press F6 and select your card and press enter. Look at the faders and make sure they are not muted or turned all the way down. A "OO" at the bottom of the faders means it's not muted, "MM" means it is. Highlight any muted faders by using the left and right arrow keys and press m to unmute them. You can adjust a selected faders volume with the up and down arrows.
jadamso

Post by jadamso »

Had exactly the same problem. Here's the solution:
1. Open up terminal. Type in su and press enter. Use the password that you created when you installed Mint. That will give you sudo privileges.
2. Type sudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/90-pulseaudio.rules and add the following line after the last Subsystems entry:
SUBSYSTEMS=="pci", ATTRS{vendor}=="0x1412", ATTRS{device}=="0x1712", ATTRS{subsystem_vendor}=="0x1412", ATTRS{subsystem_device}=="0xd634", ENV{PULSE_PROFILE_SET}="m_audio-audiophile-2496.conf"
3. Whilst still root in terminal type sudo gedit. Copy and paste the following in the new file:

# This file is part of PulseAudio.
#
# PulseAudio is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
# it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as
# published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the
# License, or (at your option) any later version.
#
# PulseAudio is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
# WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
# General Public License for more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License
# along with PulseAudio; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
# Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA.

; M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
;
; This card, based on the Via ICE1712 chipset, has two stereo audio channels
; (1 in and 1 out) and a separate S/PDIF digital stereo channel. Like with
; all ICE1712-based cards, this is exposed by ALSA as a single 10-channel
; device with some of the channels not connected.
;
; See default.conf for an explanation on the directives used here.

[General]
auto-profiles = no

[Mapping analog-stereo-in]
description = Analog Stereo Input
device-strings = hw:%f,0
channel-map = front-left,front-right,aux0,aux1,aux2,aux3,aux4,aux5,aux6,aux7,aux8,aux9
direction = input

[Mapping analog-stereo-out]
description = Analog Stereo Output
channel-map = front-left,front-right,aux0,aux1,aux2,aux3,aux4,aux5,aux6,aux7
direction = output

[Mapping analog-digital-stereo-out]
description = Analog/Digital Stereo Output
channel-map = front-left,front-right,aux0,aux1,aux2,aux3,aux4,aux5,front-left,front-right
direction = output

[Mapping digital-stereo-out]
description = Digital Stereo Output
channel-map = aux0,aux1,aux2,aux3,aux4,aux5,aux6,aux7,front-left,front-right
direction = output

[Mapping digital-stereo-in]
description = Digital Stereo Input
channel-map = front-left,front-right,front-left,front-right,front-left,front-right,front-left,front-right,front-left,front-right,front-left,front-right
direction = input

[Mapping digital-stereo]
description = Digital Stereo Input/Output
#device-strings = hw:%f,1
device-strings = iec958:%f
channel-map = left,right
direction = any

[Profile output:stereo]
description = Analog Stereo Output
output-mappings = analog-stereo-out
input-mappings =
priority = 80
skip-probe = yes

[Profile output:stereo-da+input:stereo-analog]
description = Analog Stereo Input/Output
output-mappings = analog-stereo-out
input-mappings = analog-stereo-in
priority = 100
skip-probe = yes

[Profile output:stereo-da+input:stereo-analog]
description = Analog Stereo Input/Output, Digital Stereo Output
output-mappings = analog-digital-stereo-out
input-mappings = analog-stereo-in
priority = 90
skip-probe = yes

[Profile output:spdif]
description = Digital Stereo Output (Analog Disabled)
output-mappings = digital-stereo-out
input-mappings =
priority = 60
skip-probe = yes

[Profile output:spdif+input:spdif]
description = Digital Stereo Input/Output (Analog Disabled)
output-mappings = digital-stereo-out
input-mappings = digital-stereo-in
priority = 70
skip-probe = yes

4. Save as m_audio-audiophile-2496.conf in /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets/
5. Restart your computer.
6. Once restarted go into Sound manager and ensure all options are set to PCI card. Be careful: I did this with the speakers on and almost had a heart attack when the music suddenly kicked in.
7. Enjoy!

Adapted from the following link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1268856

Its a shame that people have had to find a work around for a soundcard from such a major manufacturer (though its not like avid/m-audio pander to the needs of linux in their audio software).
Just note the comments in the link about updating pulseaudio.

J.
PeDr0

Post by PeDr0 »

I've done all this, the only thing I haven't done is login as root http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 78#p457878 but I have been using a user with admin rights, I believe I have put things in the correct place but I still aint getting sound?

By sound manager do you mean sound preferences :?: Oh well I might have to re-install anyway..

Pete
PeDr0

Post by PeDr0 »

I've sorted it now :-)

Thank you
umma gumma

Post by umma gumma »

hey everyone I wanted to sat *THANKS* I just installed ubuntu 12 & had the exact same issue with my 2496 sound card

the instructions above worked 100%

google brought me here

cheers

Return to “Hardware Support”