Write permission on NTFS volume

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ForeverNoob
Level 1
Level 1

Write permission on NTFS volume

Post by ForeverNoob »

Hi All,

How can I grunt write permission on a mounted NTFS volume for a specific user?

[using Cassandra]

TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

more info please.

does anyone now have write permission to the NTFS volume?

mintdisk runs in user space so anyone can write to it.

if you set the NTFS volume to mount via the fstab file you can restrict who can read and write to it.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
ForeverNoob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ForeverNoob »

Hi Boo,

Thank you for replying.

There is only one user defined, and he doesn't have write permission. The volume owner is root.

This is the entry in fstab:

UUID=4844D36844D35772 /media/sda6 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1

It is OK to give everyone write permission by default.
ForeverNoob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ForeverNoob »

Problem solved. It wasn't a permission thing, all I had to do was to enable write support in the NTFS configuration tool.

Thanks
Husse

Post by Husse »

all I had to do was to enable write support in the NTFS configuration tool
That is a permission thing :)
It changes the permissions of that disk
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

To be precise it's a not a permission problem but a mount options one.

Clem
Husse

Post by Husse »

Oh Clem....
It mounts the disk in a place where you have permissions, would that be the proper description? :)
Patrissimo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Patrissimo »

I have a second hard drive in my computer. It has 2 partitions. the first one (hdb1) was formatted in fat32. I used the partition editor to change it to ntfs last night.
Now the desktop icon for hdb1 is gone and I can only access it thru sudo nautilus. I do have some kind of new disk icon on my desktop, labelled "disk." When I open it I just get a "lost and found" file
I tried changing the permissions for hdb1 under "properties," but they are just the same as my other partition (hdb5).
I tried the ntfs configuration tool, but it only offers me the option to enable write support to an external device.
I would like to have hdb1 behave like it did when I installed Mint, what can I do?
I'm very noob, and I've tried some of the suggestions I've found here, but I'm stuck.
Patrissimo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Patrissimo »

I went into Mintdisk and changed the mount point to hdb1, restarted, and sure enough, hdb1 was there on the desktop. But hdb5 was gone.
So I went back and restored it to <<DEVICE>>, restarted, and I have only hdb5 again.
Is there something I can enter after /media/ in the mount point box that will get me both drives?

Return to “Beginner Questions”