Xfce 9 Isadora development(Released)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bruceleejr

Re: Xfce 9 Isadora development(Updated July 12 )

Post by bruceleejr »

Great~!!! I have been waiting for this~!! I will test it right now~!!
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Xfce 9 Isadora development(Updated July 12 )

Post by merlwiz79 »

Ok if you a have followed the testing you know they have been rejected. http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
I hope to get these all fixed today and test the iso tomorrow.
Then I will upload for testing and hopefully get them passed.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Xfce 9 Isadora development(Updated July 17)

Post by merlwiz79 »

I have uploaded 2 new ISOs for testing that should pass all tests.
Check the testing site for it's progress http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

Thanks for all your hard work! It is really appreciated.
saquerocl

Post by saquerocl »

Thank's, amigo! We know you put a lot of good work into this release. God bless you and your family!
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Thanks I don't mind the work just wish I could get it done sooner.

The amd64 ISO failed but I built a new one and uploaded it yesterday.
It's been tested 95.56% by mmesantos1.
The i386 edition is at 64.44% tested by justin.
http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Xfce 9 Isadora development(Updated July 19)

Post by merlwiz79 »

http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
Clem has finished testing them and they have passed for RC. :mrgreen:
Now they have to be uploaded to the mirrors and I just need to write the release notes.
gnomeorkde

Post by gnomeorkde »

Great stuff and many thanks for all the hard work you and the testers have put in. Think I'll try the amd64 version to see if it really flies!
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

does it have the dreaded fsck boot stall bug? I filed a bug report about it. Every 30th boot is set for a fsck but after reaching 100% it just stalls to that point, unless you press C for cancel.

My friend was eagerly waiting for this release. Hope this is gold!
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

merlwiz79,

Downloaded and installed Mint 9 XFCE this morning. Been doing setup and playing with it about 3 hours now. No problems yet.

Congratulations and thanks for another outstanding Mint XFCE version. You outdid yourself this time.

I'm especially liking Gigolo as this lets me easily access my music and pictures in my Data partition.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Aging Technogeek wrote:merlwiz79,

Downloaded and installed Mint 9 XFCE this morning. Been doing setup and playing with it about 3 hours now. No problems yet.

Congratulations and thanks for another outstanding Mint XFCE version. You outdid yourself this time.

I'm especially liking Gigolo as this lets me easily access my music and pictures in my Data partition.
Glad you like it.
This is the 1st time I have had Gigolo actually work on an install.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Congrats Merlwiz79 on RC. :D
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Well looks like the some of the mirrors already have it.
I hope to get the release notes finished after dinner.
Not sure when clem will post the Release notes since he has to wait for all the mirrors to get them
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

Will download and test the RC asap.. thank you very much. I loved you work on Mint8 (that was the longest distro on my desktop)!
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

Downloading the RC right now!
Joylove

Post by Joylove »

Installed the RC from http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/Linux/LinuxM ... c-i386.iso

encountered the following:

-aside from / and /home partition, my 2 NTFS partition on the same HDD fails to mount upon boot
-post mount, Thunar does not show the 2 NTFS on the upper left panel
-keyring issues (keeps prompting me post boot)

Will reinstall later to check if its a fluke

---test results---

Post initial install I decided to skip the login screen using Startup-Manager to automatically log me in. This was where the problem originated.

Changed the setting so rather than automatically logging me in it gave me 5 & 10 seconds (two test instances) to choose a different user else it will login automatically. This fixed the Thunar & NTFS mount problems, however the wifi/keyring issues remain.

Decided to manually login for now where everything works fine.

:D
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

If you don't shutdown Windows correctly it doesn't unmount the hard drives.(sometimes it still happens on normal shutdown)
Then Linux Mint won't mount them.
The 1st time you create a wireless connection it asks you to create a keyring password.
Then it needs that password to input the wireless WEP/WPA/WPA2 key.
This is how it works on all Linux Mint(Ubuntu) editions.
Joylove

Post by Joylove »

merlwiz79 wrote:If you don't shutdown Windows correctly it doesn't unmount the hard drives.(sometimes it still happens on normal shutdown)
Then Linux Mint won't mount them.
The 1st time you create a wireless connection it asks you to create a keyring password.
Then it needs that password to input the wireless WEP/WPA/WPA2 key.
This is how it works on all Linux Mint(Ubuntu) editions.
Haven't plugged my other drive containing Windows XP (using a laptop without an internal HDD so using 2 x 3.5 IDE HDD connected via IDE/EIDE/SATA -> USB2 cable

Post install I plugged a USB based Wlan adapter (to be able to DL the required broadcom drivers) but can't recall it prompting me to supply a keyring password (though I did get the normal WPA2 passkey prompt). Had to reboot (so I can remove the USB wlan adapter & test the onboard) but also set StartupManager to automatically log me in. Post reboot was where the problems appeared.

1st time I've encountered this since LM8 and was also an LM8-XFCE, LM9, & LM9-LXDE user.
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

Installed the RC today and started having a play around.
Man, talk about "worth the wait". This is simply superb! Seriously, the most professional XFCE system I have used, and I use them a lot!!

Even the attention to detail by including the gtkrc adjustments for transparency of the desktop icon text boxes.
That says to me that there is someone running this show who really knows what they are doing and cares about the outcomes. (That's the same right across all versions of this distro.) Well done.

The only two things I did notice today were:

- having some problems with 'drag-n-drop' working as expected in Thunar. The context menu keeps dissappearing. I'm not quite sure if it is a Thunar functional matter or a mouse sensitivity one; I suspect the latter. Will test some more tomorrow.

- on this installation at least the font clarity does not seem anywhere near as good as in the Main Gnome edition. Same fonts, same settings - kde apps particularly are terrible looking even after setting up "systemsettings" to match. Again, will try a few more things tomorrow.

Once more, smooth work and THANK YOU.
Rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

I made a live USB drive using unetbootin and ran a live session from there. It worked beautifully on my Dell Inspiron 1721.

The wireless card was automatically detected, I plugged in the ethernet cable and activated the Broadcom drivers, no problem. WEP security worked.

Bluetooth detected my phone right away (I could not get Bluetooth to work on Mint 9 LXDE)

I installed Skype and got it running after my usual fiddling with the input volume levels (I always have to max out the input volume levels for the microphone to work). The built-in webcam was automatically detected and worked.

Gigolo connected to my Windows XP machine.

Tonight's project will be to do the full install and get Evolution to sync with my Palm handheld.

Thanks merlwiz, great work!

Ed

Return to “Xfce”