(SOLVED - sort of) A Noob with Install Problemo

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Daveman

(SOLVED - sort of) A Noob with Install Problemo

Post by Daveman »

I am new here and I never wanted to mess with Linux at all for years until I recently seen YouTube Videos and I thought, "WOW! Now THIS is something I have GOT to try. I have no illusions that this is NOT Windows - so thats not a problem.

The Problem: When I try to install Linux Mint or the help boot part from CD of the Install Disk - both installs crash with an error. Am I the only one this happened too? Surely not - whats the fix for this.

I Already tried VirtualBox and VirtualDrive - I get the same crash on the install - Usually its about 3/4ths progress - and i see NO Install screens as I did on example YouTube Videos - All I seen was a Progress Bar. Any help would be appreciated.

When I get my new Spider Man computer mod done - I want to run Linux Mint exclusively on that system. If I love it as much as I think I will - Windows will be history - or at least a minimal use thing for me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: A Noob with Install Problemo

Post by dawgdoc »

Daveman wrote: ...both installs crash with an error. Am I the only one this happened too? Surely not - whats the fix for this.
What is the error message?
Is it something like
Unable to locate package any files, perhaps this is not a Debian disk or the wrong architecture?
No value set for '/apps/netbook-launcher/favorites/favorites_list
No value set for '/apps/netbook-launcher/favorites/favorites_list
No value set for key '/apps/netbook-launcher/favorites/favorites_list
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

Are you trying to install a 64bit image on a 32bit virtual machine?
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Ok - here's the deal - I run Windows XP - and tried to run Linux Mint 9.10 both from the install disk and having failed it used the Virtualbox and VirtuaDrive - etc - to no avail.

Here's what happens on a direct "Side By Side" Dual Boot install...,
1. Put in the Install CD and I get the following several times... after I press cancel.., (placing in all Caps - not intending to be yelling - lol)
WINDOWS: NO DISK
EXEMPTION PROCESSING MESSAGE C0000013
75B6BF7C 75B6BF7C 75B6BF7C
2. After Canceling that error window about 3 or 4 times...., Next I get the Install Window - I select Install for the Dual OS Boot selection between Windows and Linux Mint. I see the Progress Bar - which when it gets a little over 3/4ths of the way through it stops on another error - and refers me to a Log File located in my Documents temp folder...,

THIS IS NOT THE FULL Content of the Log - if it needs to be put here (the full log) let me know. I quickly looked over the log for anything related to the error that I feel is most relavent - Clipped and Pasted Only that part below....,
(PARTIAL of WUBI-9-REV189.lOG)

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\pyl15F.tmp\data\images\Linux Mint.ico -> C:\linuxmint\Linux Mint.ico
07-20 11:42 DEBUG TaskList: ## Finished copy_installation_files
07-20 11:42 DEBUG TaskList: ## Running get_iso...
07-20 11:42 DEBUG TaskList: New task copy_file
07-20 11:42 DEBUG TaskList: ### Running copy_file...
07-20 11:44 ERROR TaskList: [Errno 13] Permission denied
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "\lib\wubi\backends\common\tasklist.py", line 197, in __call__
File "\lib\wubi\backends\common\utils.py", line 209, in copy_file
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied
07-20 11:44 DEBUG TaskList: # Cancelling tasklist
07-20 11:44 DEBUG TaskList: New task check_iso
07-20 11:44 ERROR root: [Errno 13] Permission denied
File "\lib\wubi\application.py", line 56, in run
File "\lib\wubi\application.py", line 128, in select_task
File "\lib\wubi\application.py", line 194, in run_cd_menu
File "\lib\wubi\application.py", line 118, in select_task
File "\lib\wubi\application.py", line 156, in run_installer
File "\lib\wubi\backends\common\utils.py", line 209, in copy_file
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied
07-20 11:44 DEBUG CommonBackend: Searching for local ISO
07-20 11:44 DEBUG CommonBackend: Could not find any ISO or CD, downloading one now
07-20 11:44 DEBUG TaskList: New task get_metalink
07-20 11:44 ERROR TaskList: Cannot download the metalink and therefore the ISO
File "\lib\wubi\backends\common\backend.py", line 493, in get_iso
File "\lib\wubi\backends\common\backend.py", line 331, in download_iso
Exception: Cannot download the metalink and therefore the ISO
07-20 11:44 DEBUG TaskList: # Cancelling tasklist
07-20 11:44 DEBUG TaskList: # Finished tasklist
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

That does help. The wubi referred to in many of the lines is the program used to allow you to run Mint as an application within Windows, you may see it referred to as mint4win.

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no experience with this method of "installing" Mint.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Just a thought. Did you check your download was not corrupt, and compare the MD5 hashsum check to ensure it was "good"? It could be a corrupted download.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

I've done a mint4win install, and never had these issues you speak of. However, I prefer to install directly from CD/ DVD or USB.

Questions:
1) Did you download the Mint Isadora ISO File, or did you just do the Wubi Install? (Didn't know Wubi could be used for OS's other than the Primary Ubuntu Distro's (Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, etc.).
2) If you downloaded the ISO, have you used CDBurnerXP, InfraRecorder (Portable Version of InfraRecorder can be found at portableapps.com) or something similar to create a Boot CD (Unetbootin Works well to create a Bootable USB Thumbdrive for Netbooks and systems that allow you to boot from USB)? A simple data copy of the ISO will not work.
3) As mentioned earlier, did you check the MD5Sums? (You can find a portable version of MD5CheckSum to install on a Thumb Drive at portableapps.com.)
4) What system are you trying to install Mint on?
5) Have you been in the Bios Setup to allow the system to boot from CD/ DVD/ USB (generally striking F10 or F12 during start up will let you in to alter the Boot Sequence, and only pertinent if you are installing from a Live Version.)?

I only ask these questions, in my newbiness, so that I, as well as those at a much higher paygrade, (nevermind, none of them get paid either) have a better understanding. This is not a personal afront, and I hope you will not take it as such. I try to avoid conflict, albeit sometimes not very well. LOL

Thanks,
Dave
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I had downloaded the ISO - extracted it to a Temporary Folder and burned those extracted files
to a CD. I also tried burning the full files (32 bit) to a DVD disk - made no difference. It just
wont install.
I will Try another download and see if perhaps I had gotten a corrupt copy - I dont think I did
but ya never can tell. Thats all I tried installing was the files extracted from the Mint Linux ISO.
And nope I did not figure anyone was picking on me - LOL. I am super dumb at this Linux thing
so probably wouldnt know an insult if it s.. well - ok, if it slapped me in the face, maybe otherwise
not :-)
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Daveman,

If you have doubts about the ISO go ahead and download another copy, but you may not need to.

1) Do not extract the ISO.
2) Check the md5sum of the .iso file you already have, or the new one.
3) Burn the .iso file to a disk as an image, do not copy the file to a disk (CD/DVD). Assuming you are doing this from Windows, some versions of Nero and Roxio can do this, others can not.
4) Set your computer to boot from the optical drive first and give it a go.

In this post there are links to a Windows application to check an md5sum and Imgburn, an open source disk burning program which will burn iso files as images. (Another program that will work is InfraRecorder.)
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Yeah, sorry mate, but you made a simple (but common enough) error there. You don't extract files from the iso. You use your burning software to Burn the image to Disc (or whatever the corresponding term is in your software). This does not mean copy the file to disc, it will fail also. Your burning software will have a function to burn Disc Images (.iso, etc) and it will use the use to make a bootable, usabale, disc. Try again, and let us know if you are successful. :)
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
blito

Post by blito »

just for info - i have been totally unable to install mint 9 OR the ubuntu 10 that its derived from. Both iso`s check out fine but both crash after 3/4 distance - err no 5 - disk error. Seems to me that these new versions just dont like my ancient HDD !
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

did you burn the download as an iso image? If your burner program doesn't have that, you might want to order a disc from one of those online places that sell them for a few dollars...or have a friend who has a burning program that will make a iso image on the dvd you are burning...
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

blito wrote:just for info - i have been totally unable to install mint 9 OR the ubuntu 10 that its derived from. Both iso`s check out fine but both crash after 3/4 distance - err no 5 - disk error. Seems to me that these new versions just dont like my ancient HDD !
What hardware are you trying to install on?
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

craig10x wrote:did you burn the download as an iso image? If your burner program doesn't have that, you might want to order a disc from one of those online places that sell them for a few dollars...or have a friend who has a burning program that will make a iso image on the dvd you are burning...
ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com/) is a great light weight, easy to use free(as in free beer) Windows iso and data burner.
mintnewbie63

Post by mintnewbie63 »

Hello Daveman
I hope you have found the solution to your problem by now but if you haven't I would suggest that you download a new iso image of Mint9 and without trying to extract anything from it burn it on a disc, by trying to extract any files from the iso image you have damaged it's files that's why it wont boot on your machine, I wish you good luck,
Kind regards
mintnewbie63
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

@blito,

I had the same problem with a Ubuntu install on my son's ancient PC, as well as Mint Isadora GDE (Standard).

Try Mint Isadora LXDE. It went in beautifully on his system, and he loves it. LXDE is lighter than the Standard Mint, but just as sweet. Mint Isadora XFCE RC is really nice as well. (I've got to post a topic on that one)

It's not a guarantee, but you would still have the beauty of Mint. and a smaller footprint on your HDD.

Just a Thought,
Dave
Daveman

Re: A Noob with Install Problemo - GOOD NEWS! & BAD!

Post by Daveman »

SUCCESS!!! - well - Sort of! I took the advice of using my Burner software and burned the ISO Image on CD of "Linux Mint 9 LXDE" and I just ran it from the Disk instead of doing a full install on my Windows Xp system - just to test the waters.

As for the resulting Problem - I will start a New Threat because it falls slightly under its own catagory - LOOK FOR "NOOB WITH SOUND PROBLEMS".
My system came with RealTek - I sing Online Karaoke and Realtek sucks!!! So I purchased an outdated SoundBlaster Live SoundCard and installed the driver and related software. The Linux LXDE would only play sound I made through my microphone but would not play music or any sounds whatsoever other than that. It detected my RealTek - not my "SoundBlaster LIVE 5.01".

OK - So I Reboot to WindowsXP and Now I got no sound! My Speaker MUTE Setting Will NOT Uncheck! It was working fine before the Linux trial run. I really had high hopes for Linux Mint LXDE. Now im screwed. ANYWAYS I WILL REPOST THIS UNDER A NEW THREAT - so Please Address the Problem there. THANX. :-)
Hopefully one of you will have a fix for this. Like I said Earlier - If I like Linux Mint - I will install it on my older computer rebuild Spider Man modification when done. I wont use anything but the ReatTek and maybe it will work all by its lonesome. But for now - My Current Sound Crises is an URGENT One and Needs to be Fixed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”