I have 2GB RAM, Why does mint report ~1051

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stephenrb81

I have 2GB RAM, Why does mint report ~1051

Post by stephenrb81 »

Hello, I'm having a little issue with Mint and my reported memory. I have 2GB installed, but Mint reports 1015MB (311MB Used) Earlier it showed ~900MB Total system memory. Am I missing something? My "TOTAL" memory keeps changing (verified TOTAL, not what's being used)

My BIOS shows the 2gb total system, Win7 shows 2GB. Linux mint only shows ~900-1050 (Again, it fluctuates...and again it's TOTAL system, not what I'm using). Does linux mint shadow any ram? Just scratching my head wondering what is going on. I've been out of the linux-loop for a couple years so not sure if this is something that is suppose to happen.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Re: I have 2GB RAM, Why does mint report ~1051

Post by Midnighter »

How are you checking this? Where is it showing you this?

edit: Also , What hardware are you running this on? I've never had any issues with RAM being seen properly.
Last edited by Midnighter on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

You can try using the 'mem' boot parameter to force the kernel to use 2GB

Edit /etc/default/grub

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
Find the line that starts with 'GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=' and change it to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash mem=2048M"
Save and run:

sudo update-grub
Then reboot
viking777

Post by viking777 »

If you are looking at it in something like conky that only tells you how much is in use, not how much you have got.

inxi -I 
Will tell you how much is detected (that is a capital I (the one between u and o on the keyboard), not a small letter l (the one next to k on the keyboard).

Of course it rather depends if the inxi script is installed by default. I think it is.
stephenrb81

Post by stephenrb81 »

Hi. Thanks for the replies so far. I was using the System Profiler that came default with Mint. In Summary it currently shows "Memory 2050MB (252MB Used)" Strange as I always thought of 2GB as 2048Mb. If I check it again in an hour or so it will report something along the lines of ~1000 (~200-300 Used).

Interestingly enough, at the same time System Profiler reports 2050Mb (252 Used) the inxi script shows 210.1/2002.9MB

I haven't had any odd behavior out of the system yet (no crashes/lockups/freezes) this is just messing with my mind :wink:
Craig_Dem

Post by Craig_Dem »

When it says 2GB, the actual formatted value can differ, my HDD is 500 GB but is actually 500.1 GB
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Craig_Dem wrote:When it says 2GB, the actual formatted value can differ, my HDD is 500 GB but is actually 500.1 GB

Uh, they're discussing RAM, not hard disks. 2GIG would normally show as roughly 2048MB.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
Craig_Dem

Post by Craig_Dem »

Midnighter wrote:
Craig_Dem wrote:When it says 2GB, the actual formatted value can differ, my HDD is 500 GB but is actually 500.1 GB

Uh, they're discussing RAM, not hard disks. 2GIG would normally show as roughly 2048MB.
My post was to show the difference between advertised and actual amounts of a product, I used HDD because I actually have had that happen with one of mine.
deleted

Post by deleted »

You probably have an onboard video card?
-Hinto

Return to “Beginner Questions”