What would it take to make Linux Mint more successfull?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vrkalak

Re: What would it take to make Linux Mint more successfull?

Post by vrkalak »

In actuality, we do have a Distro for each person.

Example:
Debian Lenny is absolutely positively totally 'rock solid' stable. Always.
However, if you change anything, do an upgrade, or install from outside the Debian 'stable' repositories ... then you are no longer using Debian 'stable'

All of use, have changed, upgraded and 'tweaked' our various Linux distributions to our own liking.
To the point that we are no longer using the 'original' installed distro.

GNU/Linux states in their constitution ... that with your Distro ... you can change, edit, tweak, modify, copy, redistribute, give-away, sell, fold, spindle or mutilate it. Whatever works for you.

So, in a sense .. we each have our own 'distro'
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

vrkalak wrote:In actuality, we do have a Distro for each person.

Example:
Debian Lenny is absolutely positively totally 'rock solid' stable. Always.
However, if you change anything, do an upgrade, or install from outside the Debian 'stable' repositories ... then you are no longer using Debian 'stable'

All of use, have changed, upgraded and 'tweaked' our various Linux distributions to our own liking.
To the point that we are no longer using the 'original' installed distro.

GNU/Linux states in their constitution ... that with your Distro ... you can change, edit, tweak, modify, copy, redistribute, give-away, sell, fold, spindle or mutilate it. Whatever works for you.

So, in a sense .. we each have our own 'distro'
Yep! And Linux is Linux. The distro thing is just superficial anyway, the biggest difference will be the package manager. Install sudo in Fedora, use su - in Ubuntu, whatever...It really is all the same. Just a different wrapping paper. Personally, I would rather have 500 plus odd gifts under the tree than just three!
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

FedoraRefugee wrote: but this whole "Linux users are all just elitist a-holes" and "Linux needs to become better so it can beat Windows" is simply stupid and you are not only doing a disservice to Linux with this attitude, you will also not be taken seriously by the serious Linux users - Those users who you now call elitist a-holes because they seem to know and understand something that you do not.
Excellent :D
FedoraRefugee wrote: You take it too personal. I am not testing your skin thickness, I really do not care one way or another. I am simply trying to show you that there are other ways to think about Linux. You are choosing to make me an enemy, I have nothing against you.
Yes, yes ... this sounds very familiar :D (I've been so many times in the same spot ... !). Some people really have super-thin skin. And it would be better if they didn't use any computer at all for the sake of everyone else's mental sanity :D

Excellent posting :D
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

FedoraRefugee wrote: Yep! And Linux is Linux. The distro thing is just superficial anyway, the biggest difference will be the package manager. Install sudo in Fedora, use su - in Ubuntu, whatever...It really is all the same. Just a different wrapping paper.
Agreed. We all talk about this Distro does this, and that Distro can do that. And all the various Devs are trying to make the best distro "for them"

When you get right down to the nitty-gritty ... all Linux Distros use the same Linux Kernel.
The Devs may change it, modify it, add to it, take a way from it ... but, it is the same Linux Kernel. Bare bones fact.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

That's not to say that some distros are quite good and others flat out suck...I also appreciate that Merlwiz does all the work on the Xfce spin so I don't have to. I think generically speaking that particular spin is as close as I have found to being just right. Even my Arch Xfce installs end up remarkably similar. That is saying a lot. Can't wait for the Mint 9 Xfce spin, I am putting off trying the main edition for a couple weeks.
Brad

Post by Brad »

windows to collapse
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

Maybe we should split Linux in two camps:

1) The open-minded, community oriented, helping others, any level is welcomed camp

2) The elitest, snobby, me! me! me! camp
mick55

Post by mick55 »

I propose making the CLI more friendly with coloured text.

.....And ponies. And rainbows.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53319

:wink: :o :P :lol: :mrgreen:
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

More cowbell!

Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:
jesica

Post by jesica »

I know we have discussed this before but regarding this forum, I reckon a Linux Mint online shop will help make it very sucessfull. Get muggs and t-shirts, get our own Computer brand with Mint skins, key rings, Mint stickers

I know that would be awesome :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “Chat about Linux”