Add/Remove Software like Ubuntu

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alasse_cala
Level 1
Level 1

Add/Remove Software like Ubuntu

Post by alasse_cala »

Hello...
Frist of all i'm a newbie... :D

For some time i use ubuntu and one of the thing that convence me to use is user was the app add/remove software...

A great list of software at a distance of a clic...

It's true that mint have the Synaptic Installer but that particular app is very handy...

I don't know if theres a legal problem if it's used on a diferent distro than ubuntu...

But if isn't how can i install in mint???

Greatins for all who see this topic
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Add/Remove Software like Ubuntu

Post by scorp123 »

alasse_cala wrote: I don't know if theres a legal problem if it's used on a diferent distro than ubuntu...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gpl

And Mint is based on Ubuntu. There are things where they are very similar; there are others where they differ.
alasse_cala
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alasse_cala »

It seem like i must get deal whit it...

But so far i'm enjoying using MINT

my compliments to the development team...

:wink:
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

If you like easy software installs, try the Mint software portal (there should be a link just below the adress bar if you are in Mint and Firefox).
alasse_cala
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alasse_cala »

I already done this...
the first install that i made in Mint has trying the *.mint files... 8)

But what i like was a program with a big list of programs, with a good GUI...
with a nice description of the programs available for install, divided by categories, etc...

Organization his very important... :wink:

And for showing to my friend's- non linux users- it's easer to show a program whit a big list of programs and simplified, to remove from their brains that theres a lack of programs for this OS...

Elegance must not scrumble to Desktop.
Any little gesture that can simplify and minimize life is a great step to life without stress...

Just according to a nice sentence from the 70's, that rule on the Design:

K.I.S.S.

Keep It Simple, Stupid. :lol:

Thank you for your attention
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

alasse_cala wrote:But what i like was a program with a big list of programs, with a good GUI...
with a nice description of the programs available for install, divided by categories, etc...
That is not Synaptic? It has all about which you speak… :D
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
alasse_cala
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alasse_cala »

Synaptic at my point of view is good and i use it in ubuntu too...

But is not so friendly for using (again, at my point of view)

In most cases of people that i know don't guive the work of went to google and put their questions to find out answers about what they want to do with their system...

And people like to se color on their desktop... thing's that have pictures...

Synaptic has all the program's that you need but has also all the libary that you want enbentef in the same program...

This is too mutch information in the same place.

I see why the option of the Mint to have only one program to install other programs than the ones on the install disc.

Is just one program to do that!!!

But at my point of view, this his in agree with simplicity but don't combine wiht elegance...
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

So that is the Software Portal, no?... There are categories, colors, pictures, screenshots etc. It appears to have all about which you speak, if I understand you well.

Or maybe you think at a kind of mix between Synaptic and the Software Portal? :wink: The marriage between "the beast and the beauty" :lol:
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
alasse_cala
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alasse_cala »

Than again...
It's not on the distro but apart....

I use the most part of the programs in the Software Portal and the ones that comes with the Mint... But in there is only 88 programs that i can chose...
They are a very good and compact list by the way...

In ubuntu i would need to install them because some of them i use...

Theres automatix if i want to use but the most is already by default on Mint (the programs that i use).

And because of this i don't have to many programs installed...
That's a good thing.

but for something, sometimes i travel all over the net to find the perfect programs that feet my needs and computer habits (this on other distro not ubuntu based) and the "Add/Remove Software" solve me this problem with that tiny little tool...

The thing is that the "Add/Remove Software" (thinking that this software is much alike the evil Microsoft "Add/Remove Programs") it's not really necessary in Mint but is a little funny feature...

I really don't need it because i already know what programs i want to use...
But for someone that install and start to use linux, such application is a little candy...

I am just writing my point of view, based on my little experience...
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

I am not here on my computer home with Mint and my memory is missing to me but if you replace MintMenu with the Main Menu in the panel there is not the "Add/Remove Software" function like in Ubuntu?
alasse_cala wrote:But in there is only 88 programs that i can chose...
I suppose the Mint Portal will grow bigger gradually.:wink:
alasse_cala
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alasse_cala »

I check again if it has there, but not...
sonicbhoc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sonicbhoc »

Synaptic hard to use? What's so hard about clicking search, typing some terms (or a program name), clicking go and choosing your desired program out of the list?

Of course, there's always Adept. But I only use that for the notifier - I highly prefer synaptic. Maybe you'll like Adept.
alasse_cala
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alasse_cala »

it's libraris and programs mix up all thogether...

not a dedicated program

Return to “Beginner Questions”