Mint Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Mint Debian

Post by clem »

Hi Ikey,

Among the few bugs remaining there's that Cairo partitions graph which doesn't redraw itself... "hint" ;)

Clem
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

That's great news, Clem...But now that i got "hooked" on boo's Mint 9 KDE (darn you...lol) i hope that you will expand it and offer the following:
Mint Debian (gnome) 32 bit and 64 bit as well as Mint Debian (kde) 32 bit and 64 bit... :wink:

I'm sure MANY mint fans have the same wish :lol:
frsu

Post by frsu »

craig10x wrote:That's great news, Clem...But now that i got "hooked" on boo's Mint 9 KDE (darn you...lol) i hope that you will expand it and offer the following:
Mint Debian (gnome) 32 bit and 64 bit as well as Mint Debian (kde) 32 bit and 64 bit... :wink:

Nice and easy, don't rush it. Beginning September is soon.... :D
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

sorry..let my enthusiasm overcome me :wink:
but i suspect this is going to be extremely popular...so i just wanted to "pitch" the idea out at the "mint lords" :lol:
frsu

Post by frsu »

+1 :D
rbpyogesh

Post by rbpyogesh »

craig10x wrote:That's great news, Clem...But now that i got "hooked" on boo's Mint 9 KDE (darn you...lol) i hope that you will expand it and offer the following:

Yeah...Plenty are out there....

Even a 32 Bit KDE version will do....

Sorry...I am not following this topic...I have few questions...
Is this Debian Version going to be a Rolling Distro..>??

And what will happen to the Ubuntu based GNOME version..??

Are you gonna keep focussing on that one too..??
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Is this Debian Version going to be a Rolling Distro..>??
Yes.
And what will happen to the Ubuntu based GNOME version..??
Same as before.
Are you gonna keep focussing on that one too..??
Yes.

More info: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1467

Clem.
rbpyogesh

Post by rbpyogesh »

Thanks for the reply Clem,

I hope you introduce an KDE based version of Debian as well...

It would be quite useful if this version is very light on Resources...I am not talking about LXDE version but the main version itself...
deleted

Post by deleted »

This is really great!!! Tho I have no problems going from one Mint release to the next, rolling releases are really fantastic.
-H
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

Clem, will the debian edition be as usable out of box as the ubuntu edition?
Or it will require tweaking and using command line?

PS: Hinto, the Ubuntu/Mint LTS IS a rolling release!
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

There will be a few rough edges. What comes to mind for instance is the installation of 3D drivers, the activation of compiz, the lack of graphical splash at boot (I'm not happy with Plymouth at the moment so I decided not to put it in LMDE) etc... there are a few things that were developed by Canonical and not ported to Debian, so for this we'll need to port things or develop alternatives. But overall it aims at being as user-friendly and desktop-ready.

Clem.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Well, speaking as somebody that knows how to install his own 3d drivers, hates compiz and wouldn't run a bootsplash if you paid me - it sounds ideal :D

Just tell me it is not on DVD only - please!
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Just curious Clem...regarding the "rough edges" aspect (including the lack of graphical boot splash, drivers for 3d, etc as you mentioned...)...as a "rolling distribution" can those "rough edges" be sent over as updates when they are "smoothed out" or "added", or would one require an entirely new install to get them?
I never used an OS with a "rolling system" before so pardon my ignorance :wink:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i been following this topic here and there, but now it's getting "hot" :)

In the last 2 weeks i've tried to go closer to Debian as possible ( and my skills allow it): Lenny, Squeeze, Sidux, Mepis and there's always one or more big issues that stop me from switch totally.

The one that comes closer in my short list of must have is sidux: KDE version, ease to put everything working when they don't work o.o.b.
But fails, or it's me!, to settle my wireless (damn Broadcom!!!)

Last night i remembered Jockey.gtk, but as Clem says here http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/23 it was not ported upstream.
And thanks Clem for thinking in solve that.
deleted

Post by deleted »

There's a hold on sidux according to their news :(
-H
ginjabunny

Post by ginjabunny »

I've had a little play recently, started with Debian testing then updated using the Mint-Debian and Debian-Multimedia Debian-Testing repositories, a few observations which I assume you are addressing

1) Debian install does not seem to include "non-free" drivers (inc some network cards), will you include these in the iso?
2) For system level changes Debian uses root authentication as opposed to Ubuntu's sudo route, are you going to stick with sudo or allow a choice?
3) Hopefully you will remove the annoying root only shutdown policy?

Glad to see the spirit of Husse is included :-)

I can't wait.
GB
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

I don't care much if it is slightly rougher around the edges than the Ubuntu-based version. It makes it all the more fun to mess with. I'd actually prefer it if many of the Ubuntu-specific software was kept out. otherwise it ends up contaminating the Debian base with "fixes" and we might as well not be running a different version.
olligod

Post by olligod »

ginjabunny wrote:I've had a little play recently, started with Debian testing then updated using the Mint-Debian and Debian-Multimedia Debian-Testing repositories, a few observations which I assume you are addressing

1) Debian install does not seem to include "non-free" drivers (inc some network cards), will you include these in the iso?
2) For system level changes Debian uses root authentication as opposed to Ubuntu's sudo route, are you going to stick with sudo or allow a choice?
3) Hopefully you will remove the annoying root only shutdown policy?

Glad to see the spirit of Husse is included :-)

I can't wait.
GB
It is easy to introduce sudo policy: Create a group (admin is used in Ubuntu) that is allowed everything and anything under sudo policy
(command visudo should be used to edit the sudoers file -- with certain locking mechanisms. See Ubuntu-based examples).
All users that are to be rightful sudoers must be included in that group that has full sudo rights.
(of course that happens in /etc/group or via the system settings gui's).
If you ever created a 2nd user under Ubuntu you had to do that as well in order to give that account the sudo rights that the 1st user account (created at install time) has by default.

That means you may have to tweak 2 config files. But I guess for somebody that mixes Debian and Mint repositories just like that, that should be doable...
Just for info.

If we were to vote about it though - I'd also have "sudo the Ubuntu Way" included in Mint Debian.

... And actually,

I CAN'T WAIT EITHER !!
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I was just curious..and although i previously asked this of clem on this thread (but no doubt he is very busy..i am sure he doesn't get too much time to scan the forum) i was wondering if anyone who has HAD experience with rolling distros before, know if the type of rough edges that Clem mentioned...as for example, a lack of a boot splash screen at the beginning (until they figure out something to add for that) can those type of things be sent "down the pike" as an an update to you? Or is that the type of thing that would require a complete re-install?
shayney

Post by shayney »

I would assume rough edges is more to do with teething troubles that any new distro (kind of) is going to face.
I would also assume these rough edges would naturally be ironed out through the upgrade process.

Taking the splash as an example, if it was decided mint was going to use plymouth or splashy or something it would be added to the main mint or mint-artwork metapackage so would be pulled in automatically in due course.

Regarding the sudo situation.
I could have sworn my last play with testing a few weeks ago DID use sudo.

Return to “LMDE Archive”