Level 2

Re: LMDE Bug Reports Thread

Post by kneekoo »

Code: Select all

nicu@mintulet ~ $ sudo su -
[sudo] password for nicu: 
cowsay: Could not find small cowfile!
mintulet ~ #
I simply started a Terminal. What else can I offer for details?

P.S. Please take into account the stuff I reported in the blog and the -cd-/-dvd- thing with the ISO file name.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

MintUpdate is recommending a level 3 update (live-installer-slideshow)..get an error:

W: Failed to fetch http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main ... .3_all.deb
404 Not Found

*edit* get this as well:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the list directory
Last edited by darco on Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

its installed......I closed Mint update then restarted and no longer mentions the slide show......but get the above error re: lock
wlake

Post by wlake »

I apologize if I am in the wrong thread, I don't know if this is a bug.
Is it correct that the LMDE installer will not allow you to install grub to a partition? The only choice seems to be to an MBR.
I worked around this and so far LMDE run great.
kneekoo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kneekoo »

@Ikey: As a recapitulation, here are my reports from the blog.

1. Don't forget to name the new ISO with -dvd- instead of -cd-.
2. I installed LMDE, chose Romania (ro_RO) and everything went smooth, but there are a lot of packages to be updated (over 240). Could the respin have the updates preinstalled?
3. During the update I noticed plenty of issues which, however, didn't mess anything. Here's the list:

apt-listchanges: Mainling root: apt-listchanges: news for mynewmint
sh: /usr/sbin/sendmail: not found
Woudln’t it be better if sendmail would come preinstalled?

Installing new version of /etc/init.d/checkroot.sh …
insserv: warning: script ‘K01mintsystem’ missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script ‘mintsystem’ missing LSB tags and overrides
The above lines (LSB) repeated 30 times in a row.

Then this:

Processing triggers for menu …
warning in file ‘/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0078′ near line 5 package ‘ufraw-batch’: missing description
warning in file ‘/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0078′ near line 5 package ‘ufraw-batch’: missing maintainer
warning in file ‘/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0127′ near line 5 package ‘vlc-plugin-notify’: missing description
warning in file ‘/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0127′ near line 5 package ‘vlc-plugin-notify’: missing maintainer
warning in file ‘/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0160′ near line 5 package ‘librtmp0′: missing description
warning in file ‘/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0160′ near line 5 package ‘librtmp0′: missing maintainer
Then this:

Processing triggers for gconf2 …
WARNING: Failed to parse default value `’ for schema (/schemas/desktop/gnome/f-spot/ui/main_window_x)
WARNING: Failed to parse default value `’ for schema (/schemas/desktop/gnome/f-spot/ui/main_window_y)
WARNING: Failed to parse default value `’ for schema (/schemas/desktop/gnome/f-spot/ui/viewer_x)
WARNING: Failed to parse default value `’ for schema (/schemas/desktop/gnome/f-spot/ui/viewer_y)
Then mintUpdate asks:
Do you want to replace the configuration file “/etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf”?
// basic difference

-COMPRESS=lzma
+COMPRESS=gzip
Regular people have no idea what to answer, so whatever you guys can do to automate these questions on update... please think about it.

Then this one:

Installing new version of the configuration file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades
update-rd.d: warning: unattended-upgrades start runlevel arguments (none) do not match LSB Default-Start values (0 6)
update-rd.d: warning: unattended-upgrades stop runlevel arguments (0 6) do not match LSB Default-Start values (none)
To me, it looks like the run levels are reversed.

The following come up _again_ every now and then during the update:

insserv: warning: script ‘K01mintsystem’ missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script ‘mintsystem’ missing LSB tags and overrides
And finally, when I installed LMDE I didn’t specify a boot partition so now, with the update, a window popped up:

Configure grub-pc
GRUB install devices:

/dev/sda (250059, ST3250410AS)
- /dev/sda7 (18416 MB /)
/dev/sdb (250059 MB, WDC_WD2500JB-22GVC0)
I ticked /dev/sda7 – my root partition – and the log displayed:

Removing update-grub hooks from /etc/kernel-img.conf in favour of /etc/kernel/ hooks.
/usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Attempting to install GRUB to a partition instead of the MBR. This is a BAD idea..
/usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
Installation finished. No error reported.
Because I like Midnight Commander, I installed it through the terminal:

nicu@mintulet /var/log $ sudo apt-get install mc
[sudo] password for nicu: 
Citire liste de pachete... Terminat
Se construiește arborele de dependență       
Se citesc informațiile de stare... Terminat
Pachete sugerate:
  zip unzip arj dbview odt2txt gv catdvi djvulibre-bin python-boto python-tz
Următoarele pachete NOI vor fi instalate:
  mc
0 înnoite, 1 nou instalate, 0 de șters și 11 neînnoite.
Este nevoie să descărcați 2.157kB de arhive.
După această operație vor fi folosiți din disc încă 6.574kB.
AVERTISMENT: Următoarele pachete nu pot fi autentificate!
  mc
Avertisment de autentificare înlocuit.
Luat:1 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main mc i386 3:4.7.0.6-1 [2.157kB]
Aduși: 2.157kB în 1s (1.552kB/s)
Se selectează pachetul mc, deselectat anterior.
(Se citește baza de date ... 106788 fișiere și directoare actualmente instalate.)
Se despachetează mc (din .../mc_3%3a4.7.0.6-1_i386.deb) ...
Se procesează declanșatorii pentru man-db ...
Se procesează declanșatorii pentru menu ...
warning, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0000' near line 5 package 'mc': missing description
warning, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0000' near line 5 package 'mc': missing maintainer
warning, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0002' near line 6 package 'mc': missing description
warning, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0002' near line 6 package 'mc': missing maintainer
warning, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0004' near line 6 package 'mc': missing description
warning, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0004' near line 6 package 'mc': missing maintainer
Se pregătește mc (3:4.7.0.6-1) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/mcview-debian to provide /usr/bin/view (view) in auto mode.
Se procesează declanșatorii pentru menu ...
nicu@mintulet /var/log $
Again, the missing description/maintainer issue. I understand it's harmless (thank you for confirming that, secipolla), but it really looks bad. Can something be done about this?

P.S. The GRUB boot screen is butt-ugly. At least make the blue text back/fore-ground GREEN, so it matches the image behind.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

There's a "nasty cosmetic" ;) bug in the preferences in MintUpdate: instead of Debian we see Ubuntu's brand when choosing the levels of update

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
tawan

Post by tawan »

On boot I get told my keyring failed to unlock and I have to enter my (sudo) password.

On reboot I get a loud proud PC speaker BEEP.
eric71

Post by eric71 »

The install went fine, and everything is up and running. My only complaint (and I suppose it is not exactly a bug) is that whereas Debian by default sets up a root account, and Ubuntu and Mint don't set a root password and use sudo by default, LMDE seems to do a combination. Some administrative apps ask for my password, some ask for the root password - and the password is the same. I can work from the terminal with either su or sudo (using my password for either). It's not exactly a bug because it "just works", but it feels odd. When Ubuntu started using sudo by default and there were all of the arguments for which way was better for security, it seemed that one or the other was OK, but not both. On the surface it really doesn't make much difference, I guess. I suppose I'm just wondering WHY it can't be one way or the other.
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

- As my wifi is not detected, I tried using the Windows driver installer but after pointing to the .inf file it tells me that ndiswrapper is maybe not installed !?

- installer doesn't allow using more than one HDD (I have a small SSD and would like to put / on it and /home on another HDD, not possible). Don't remembetr if it was already this way with the previous installer.

- not really a bug but the installer displays each and every file that is copied, and I think it is taking too much time. Also it makes the progress bar flash probably because copying small files is so fast that the progress bar gets filled/emptied too quickly for our eyes.

By the way, it is booting really fast on my system, from the selection in grub menu to the desktop, 10-11s !
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

GoustiFruit wrote:- not really a bug but the installer displays each and every file that is copied, and I think it is taking too much time. Also it makes the progress bar flash probably because copying small files is so fast that the progress bar gets filled/emptied too quickly for our eyes.
This is a nice touch, maybe a little geek, but give us additional info about what is been really installed. I liked
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I downloaded the new (fixed) dvd of linux mint debian and just wanted to run it as a live cd at the moment...I checked the md5 sum (was correct and burned my dvd at the slowest speed possible on my burner (2x)....While it loaded in just fine, my mouse (which is a laptop touchpad mouse) was able to move around but when i would click on any item (such as the menu, volume control, calender, desktop short cut, etc) nothing happens...nothing would respond...so i ended up having to remove the disc....and did not get a chance to check it out on the live cd...

edit*** I tried again and figured out what the problem is: touchpad mouse tap is not automatically turned on in the default settings (at least when running live cd...don't know if anything different would happen on a hard install)...I had to go into the mouse settings and enable it....

font rendering needs to be adjusted to match ubuntu/kubuntu standards...really bad on firefox and even worse on Google Chrome/Chromium which usually renders fonts superbly...this is despite playing with the font settings...

also: deb files from websites do not install automatically like they do in ubuntu/kubuntu based versions of mint....

hope that is helpful :)
Last edited by craig10x on Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

zerozero wrote:This is a nice touch, maybe a little geek, but give us additional info about what is been really installed. I liked
Useless as you don't have the time to read anything.

I'd prefer to be able to play a pacman game during the install, like in the good old times of Caldera (I think ?) :mrgreen:
Baerius

Post by Baerius »

The Bcm4312 module doesn't work initially, but I've followed Debian squeeze method and all works fine.
link:
http://wiki.debian.org/wl

When shutting down there is a very noisy sound ("beep") that I can't solve.

Gnome panel doesn't mantain it's position after rebooting. that's a crap because I use the panel on the upper side of the screen and cairo-dock on the lower side.
mfdemicco

Post by mfdemicco »

Anyone else notice that fonts do not look as good in LMDE as they do in Mint 9? Specifically, in Google Chrome or Chromium Web browser. Do a search in Google and compare the quality of the fonts in the search results, which will illustrate the issue.

I set up anti-aliasing the same as in Mint 9, and installed the msttcorefonts.
billybob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by billybob »

wlake wrote:I apologize if I am in the wrong thread, I don't know if this is a bug.
Is it correct that the LMDE installer will not allow you to install grub to a partition? The only choice seems to be to an MBR.
I worked around this and so far LMDE run great.
Same here and I won't wipe my mbr. Need to install to partition.
Is there a text based installer or a way to change this script so it install to partition.
Thanks for the work
ghysmodos

Post by ghysmodos »

some minor questions:

1. Firefox is in English, while I'm using the German version
2. after reboot, the keyboard indicator does not remember which layout I want to be default.
3. at each login the system is asking me for the password, although I have disabled it.
4. Compiz does not work at all
5. maybe I'm just to stupid, but if I try to open/mount some of the other partitions, it simply says "authentication is required", but then there is no possibility to do so

the rest is just great.

EDIT:

I am also not able to set the time correctly: now it says 01:22 while it is 00:22.
If I try to set it:
Not Authorized for action org.gnome.clockapplet.mechanism.settime
Last edited by ghysmodos on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pappfer

Post by pappfer »

ghysmodos wrote:1. Firefox is in English, while I'm using the German version
Same for me. You can download the Firefox i18n file for your language from Synaptic, though.

ghysmodos wrote:4. Compiz does not work at all
I struggle with this, too. I downloaded the NVidia driver (195) from Synaptic but it didn't get better, I still get the following error message:

Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
compiz (core) - Fatal: Root visual is not a GL visual
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

Launching fallback window manager
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

mfdemicco wrote:Anyone else notice that fonts do not look as good in LMDE as they do in Mint 9? Specifically, in Google Chrome or Chromium Web browser. Do a search in Google and compare the quality of the fonts in the search results, which will illustrate the issue.

I set up anti-aliasing the same as in Mint 9, and installed the msttcorefonts.
Yep..i immediately noticed that too and i had done the same things you do...Firefox looks bad...Chrome/Chromium even worse...and in regular Mint 9 gnome and kde...Firefox is quite good and Chrome/Chromium is outstanding...

From my experience of checking out various distros, i have found that ubuntu/kubuntu based ones seems to have the best font rendering in all web browsers, and that includes the standard Linux Mint editions (both gnome and kde of course)...so there must be a missing "piece" that ubuntu adds in that is missing from here...probably one of the "pieces" that the mint team will need to add in on their own, to make this comparable to the main edition...
pappfer

Post by pappfer »

pappfer wrote:I struggle with this, too. I downloaded the NVidia driver (195) from Synaptic but it didn't get better, I still get the following error message: ...
Woah that's really weird. I suspended my notebook just to see how it works. Well, it didn't work, I had to shutdown my notebook by pressing the power button. After I powered it on again Compiz just started to work. :shock: I haven't got a clue why. Also my fonts were messed up (huge fonts) but I managed to solve it. Really strange, but finally I'm using Compiz happily. :)
frsu

Post by frsu »

On my Asus eee 1000H with Ralink 2860 chipset the wireless works only once while using the live USB. Then the connection fails. Several times entering the right password gives no wireless connection back. :?

Return to “LMDE Archive”