[SOLVED] First Time install, didn't work, can't boot help! -

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
princessmarisa

[SOLVED] First Time install, didn't work, can't boot help! -

Post by princessmarisa »

Had enough of a buggy falling over dead installation of XP Prof so decided to go for some linux, was going to use Ubuntu, googled and found this, seemed perfect for a big noob like me who used Ubuntu for one project at Uni and got very confuddled!

LiveCD 32bit Isadora Installer
booted from CD
hit install
Followed all the prompts
Selected to fully wipe and use entire harddrive and wipe over win xp prof
Waited until completed to press reboot/restart button
removed disk when asked and pressed enter

Now all I got is a black screen with a white _ flashing.

I repeated the whole process and same thing happens.

I now have no OS ;_; thankfully I have my trusty netbook.

So help please, where did I go wrong and how do I fix it?
(is it because I used the 32bit installer but I have 64bit hardware?)
I know I should have tried a dual boot first but so sick of that computer just wanted to give it a total fresh start :)

Some basic comp stats off top of head, let me know if you want the details I'll try remember them!

Core2Duo E6400
Asus p5b mobo
ATI mid-range dx9 graphics card
3GB DDR2 RAM
160GB SATA HDD - installation drive
400GB SATA HDD - storage drive, not touched by this AFAIK
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BubbaBlues

Re: First Time install, didn't work, can't boot help!

Post by BubbaBlues »

After I updated last night, I have the same thing. Just a flashing curser. Not sure what's going on.
princessmarisa

Post by princessmarisa »

BubbaBlues wrote:After I updated last night, I have the same thing. Just a flashing curser. Not sure what's going on.
thanks for the reply, hopefully some super guru wil give us an easy answer soon, glad to know I am not alone in this :)
Klink-a-dink-dink

Post by Klink-a-dink-dink »

First of all, use the 64-bit version. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain (unless you have less than 4GB of ram)

Try booting into the livecd, open a terminal, and try typing

Code: Select all

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
Then try

sudo update-grub
Or you may just need the second one, I'm not sure.
princessmarisa

Post by princessmarisa »

Klink-a-dink-dink wrote:First of all, use the 64-bit version. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain (unless you have less than 4GB of ram)
I only have 3GB RAM, 2GB of it is pretty slow rubbish stuff too, that is why I stuck with 32bit.
Klink-a-dink-dink wrote:
Try booting into the livecd, open a terminal, and try typing

Then try

sudo update-grub
Or you may just need the second one, I'm not sure.
Thanks I'll give that a try now
princessmarisa

Post by princessmarisa »

grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot/grub (is /dev mounted?).
No path or device is specified
Auto-detection of filesystem module failed
Please specify the module with the option '--modules' explicitly

$sudo update-grub
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannoy find a device for / (is /dev mounted?)
Robin

Post by Robin »

I may get rapped in the head for saying this, but... I can't use Isadora either. But Helena works awesomely! They ("they" being Ubuntu, which Mint is based on) insisted on adding a buggy, troublesome thing called Plymouth in their latest version (10.04, on which Isadora is based) in order to speed up boot time. But Plymouth is a Papa Oscar Sierra. Helena did not use that abomination (and the Xfce edition also didn't include the equally troublesome PulseAudio either) and boots reliably and quickly.

Before you try the previous version, though, hit the ESC key during boot-up. That's supposed to disable Plymouth interfering with boot-up. You'll see abuncha stuff scrolling along but it might boot into the usable graphical desktop.

Let us know how that goes, k?

-R
princessmarisa

Post by princessmarisa »

Robin wrote:I may get rapped in the head for saying this, but... I can't use Isadora either. But Helena works awesomely! They ("they" being Ubuntu, which Mint is based on) insisted on adding a buggy, troublesome thing called Plymouth in their latest version (10.04, on which Isadora is based) in order to speed up boot time. But Plymouth is a Papa Oscar Sierra. Helena did not use that abomination (and the Xfce edition also didn't include the equally troublesome PulseAudio either) and boots reliably and quickly.

Before you try the previous version, though, hit the ESC key during boot-up. That's supposed to disable Plymouth interfering with boot-up. You'll see abuncha stuff scrolling along but it might boot into the usable graphical desktop.

Let us know how that goes, k?

-R
ESC did nothing restarted a couple of times and hit it non stop from turning on to few seconds after flashy evil prompt, noticed I can ctrl-alt-del to restart from evil cursor screen though.
colyn

Post by colyn »

Since you have internet access go to http://www.ptdd.com/manual2.htm and download the CD bootable version. Burn to a CD. Insert the CD and boot up. You may get several error messages at startup but don't worry. Just click yes.

Delete all partitions (this will delete all data) then create a new single partition using the default Fat 32.

Remove the CD and insert the Mint CD and reboot. At the partition point of install choose to erase and use the entire disk (partition). This default will create a root and swap partition. Finish install and restart. Once the CD is ejected remove and close the tray then hit enter.

This should hopefully get you up and going..
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Mint Cinnamon 20.1
princessmarisa

Post by princessmarisa »

For anyone interested I solved it following

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2#Recover%2 ... a%20LiveCD

especially the part at the bottom!

Seemed it had installed grub to my "storage 400GB harddrive" not my "booting" 160GB harddrive. crazy mofo.

Return to “Beginner Questions”