Firefox updated!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
secipolla
Level 4
Level 4

Firefox updated!

Post by secipolla »

Hello, Firefox was updated yesterday from 3.6.8 to 3.6.9.
I reckon the Linux Mint team created this package specially for Mint Debian and I'm also guessing they must be quite busy with all that's going on but I'm leaving here this reminder just in case.
Thank you all.

stz*j
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Firefox updated!

Post by stz*j »

Have you tried the beta version?
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/beta/

Might be interesting :D, I like the tab candy thingy. Too bad the linux side isn't getting that much attention yet, compared to windows.
LMDE (Release 1), tracking debian testing, Kernel 3.14.1-686-pae i686 (32 bit), MATE & Enlightenment;
Plays (and rescues system) with experimental and sid repos on another partition with Cinnamon & Gnome3, if grub boots nice that is.

secipolla
Level 4
Level 4

Post by secipolla »

Hi, I tried it as soon as it came out. But it was in another system that I don't have anymore. Even the first beta was working fine.

I'm using Debian Sid and enabled LMDE's repositories so I had Firefox from the repo.
It's easy to set up the one downloaded from Mozilla, just do what LMDE's package does: extract to /opt/, create a desktop file, a /usr/bin/firefox link and set the Debian alternatives system to use it. But I checked the package 'cos I thought it a good alternative for people not familiar with tweaking at this level.
Unfortunately until now the package hasn't been updated. I wrote to Ikey asking if that was because they're too busy or if they didn't intend to keep it up-to-date but got no response.

Here, I replaced it with version 3.6.9 already.

If you're interested in how to replace Iceweasel for Mozilla's version, have a look at http://techpatterns.com/forums/about1435.html
If you're using LMDE, this is the procedure:
- download Mozilla's version (current or beta whichever you want)
- backup /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop
- uninstall the firefox package from LMDE (and the localization package for it too if you use it)
- extract the downloaded firefox to /opt/
- change ownership of /opt/firefox

Code: Select all

chown <username>:<username> -R /opt/firefox
→ replace <username> with your username
- create a link to /usr/bin/firefox

ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox
- restore /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop that you had backed up
- update alternatives system to use Firefox as default

update-alternatives --install  /usr/bin/x-www-browser x-www-browser /opt/firefox/firefox 70
Then since you changed the ownership of firefox's folder to the normal user you should be able to keep it up-to-date with the automatic updates from Firefox itself.
- note: you can either put sudo in front of those commands or run them logged as root in the terminal.

stz*j
Level 2
Level 2

Post by stz*j »

Actually, I already have the latest version 5 of the firefox 4 beta running well. I came from Mint 9 to LMDE just today and have had no problems with firefox.

I found this add-on that seems to be pretty good for multiple firefox versions including nightlies, it's made for Ubuntu and I'm not sure whether it works on others as well. I can't say I've had a problem-free go with it on my Mint 9. Not using it now.

Foxtester:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/141505/
http://www.webupd8.org/2010/09/foxteste ... stall.html

Thanks for the /opt lesson thing. Took me a while to know what those folders under / was used for. Right now, I just run the firefox beta script in its extracted folder with gnome-do in a second or two.

Don't feel like making the beta one default yet, I'll wait a while to see how it goes.
LMDE (Release 1), tracking debian testing, Kernel 3.14.1-686-pae i686 (32 bit), MATE & Enlightenment;
Plays (and rescues system) with experimental and sid repos on another partition with Cinnamon & Gnome3, if grub boots nice that is.

secipolla
Level 4
Level 4

Post by secipolla »

I thank you, Ikey.
No worries, I just thought some people would be interested to know if Firefox will be kept up-to-date, if Clem is using the packages from Mozilla or some patched ones from Ubuntu (?) etc.
Regards.
Sergio.

fluxalex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fluxalex »

I'm trying the "ubuntuzilla" repository http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/u ... =Main_Page. They say
This repository should also work on Linux distributions that are derivatives of Ubuntu, and probably also on any Debian derivative.
I've installed firefox-mozilla-build (3.6.10) and thunderbird-mozilla-build (3.1.4), both up to date. By now everything works perfectly, but I'm not sure what the longer term consequences will be ;-)...

fluxalex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fluxalex »

Then there is still updating the "flash-player". Is there any other way but going to the command line?

sudo /usr/sbin/update-flashplugin-nonfree --install

secipolla
Level 4
Level 4

Post by secipolla »

fluxalex wrote:Then there is still updating the "flash-player". Is there any other way but going to the command line?

sudo /usr/sbin/update-flashplugin-nonfree --install
Either that or replace the flashplugin-nonfree package for flashplayer-mozilla that comes from debian-multimedia.org and is updated automatically.

fluxalex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fluxalex »

I replaced the packages after

sudo /usr/sbin/update-flashplugin-nonfree --uninstall
But replacing caused "mint-meta-debian" also to be removed. Hope that's not a big deal?

By the way, I'm very happy with the LMDE rolling distro - for me the perfect balance of speed and comfort. There were just a few issues that I had to fix manually after installation: fstab was a bit disordered and xorg.conf - my nvidia screen resolution 1440x900 was not detected properly. Taking into account that this is the very first release, for the rest of it a huge thumbs up.

Return to “LMDE Archive”