[SOLVED]Dock??

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gqpolo

[SOLVED]Dock??

Post by gqpolo »

Is there a cool dock like awn or docky that I can use with LXDE/Openbox?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Dock??

Post by Aging Technogeek »

If you install xcompmgr from Package Manager, it will handle the desktop compositing required for Docky or AWN.

Alternately, you could create a second panel and use it as a dock by adding only the "Application Launch Bar" applet to the panel. Select Center Alignment in the Geometry section and, once the dock is loaded with everything you want, reduce the width to just enough to display all icons. It will self center nicely.
gqpolo

Post by gqpolo »

Man!!! I am so jealous of your knowledge and am sooo glad you have helped me AGAIN!! Thanks!!

OK but how can I start xcompmgr at startup before docky starts at startup...if that makes sense

2nd edit...Adding items to the dock isn't possible as far as I can tell...Dragging from the LXDE menu doesn't work so I added to desktop and dragged...that worked for putting the icons there but they won't launch.

3rd edit...Haha ok icons show up as the same one generic icon and still dont launch after reboot.
Aging Technogeek

Answers

1. To start xcompmgr at boot, add it to your /etc/xdg/lxsession/Mint/autostart file. Open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

sudo leafpad /etc/xdg/lxsession/Mint/autostart
Enter your password when asked and add xcompmgr and Docky using the same format as the existing entries ( sorry, I don't have a working LXDE installation at the moment so I can't show you a copy of the autostart file).

The entries should look like this @xcompmgr followed by @docky

2&3. I have not used Docky in LXDE so I can't advise on this . AWN works flawlessly for me so I have not needed to experiment further. It could be that xcompmgr is not running. This could prevent Docky from loading icons or launching apps.
gqpolo

Post by gqpolo »

I can't add launchers/icons to awn at all.
Aging Technogeek

To get the information you need for the AWN launchers, right click on the menu entry you want to add and click "Properties". This will give you the App name, launch command, description etc.

The icon you should be able to get as normal by clicking on the icon area in the Launcher window and browsing the installed icon set.
gqpolo

Post by gqpolo »

Thank you for hanging in there with my slow ass!! I got it!!! Thanks again for ALL of your help...I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!!!!!

How do you remove applets in awn? My delete button is grayed out.
Aging Technogeek

To remove an applet, open the AWN Manager to the Applets tab. Click the applet to remove to highlight it, then click the small up arrow to the lower left of the applets menu window. You will know you are in the right place when a bubble pops up saying "Deactivate Applet"
gqpolo

Post by gqpolo »

Thanks again for all the help...please see this link http://yfrog.com/79desktop1001wp you can see that my delete button is grayed out. What am I doing wrong?
Aging Technogeek

In the lower window, select the applet you want to delete and click on it. The delete button will stay grayed out, but the up arrow to the left of the delete button should be activated. Click on the arrow to delete the applet from the dock.
gqpolo

Post by gqpolo »

Thanks A TON!!

Return to “Software & Applications”