LMDE, nvidia, intel and compiz

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
msuggs

LMDE, nvidia, intel and compiz

Post by msuggs »

I've been putting together a series of fixes for LMDE and intel/nvidia cards with compiz.

I hope you find them useful

http://musings.omnsproject.org/?p=680

or

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/168

:)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ShexNivis

Re: LMDE, nvidia, intel and compiz

Post by ShexNivis »

perfect on 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

copying the script form the website is kinda buggy the -- got compressed to - somehow
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

I've also posted this tutorial at the Mint Community site

Epinephrin3

Post by Epinephrin3 »

omns wrote:I've been putting together a series of fixes for LMDE and intel/nvidia cards with compiz.

or

Was just looking up about how to get the intel drivers to work, thanks!
thermodynamics4

Re: LMDE, nvidia, intel and compiz [SOLVED]

Post by thermodynamics4 »

Install LMDE, update and restart, Go to software manager, download: Compiz, Compiz fusion plugins extra, Compiz Config-backend kconfig, enter to compizConfig and enable [session managment, workarounds, login/logout and regex matching. and of course wherever you may like, wobbly windows etc... After that, i ran the script from here http://musings.omnsproject.org/?p=680

Reboot, and Compiz Works, I have to say that it seems non senses. But I was thinking about some modules in Compiz that may lead to activate in another areas the right code to make it work. Pure intuition... Hihihi! :mrgreen: May help someone.
Sorry that I don't have what it takes to give a good answer, but I'm learning Linux :D and with the time hope to help to the community 8) and hopefully, later, make my own Distro... Peace! :roll:
Last edited by thermodynamics4 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emad78

Post by Emad78 »

I just did the fix for Intel graphics and it worked PERFECT. That was the only thing I had that left that didn't work with LMDE.
Now it is working flawlessly.
I have used Mint Main for awhile now and just tried this new one. I think I will stick with this one. Now that everything works perfect.

Thanks guys for the help and keep it rolling!!!!!!!!!
Awesome job!!!!

Eli
burtb08

Post by burtb08 »

Directions work for me... thanks!!
off220

Post by off220 »

if I install compiz-simple-settings-manager and in appearence properties choose enable animation(standard) do I need to add "compiz --replace" to the startup applications?
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

off220 wrote:if I install compiz-simple-settings-manager and in appearence properties choose enable animation(standard) do I need to add "compiz --replace" to the startup applications?
LMDE doesn't have a simple settings manager but if it did then yes, you would add compiz --replace to the startup applications.
azathoth

Post by azathoth »

omns wrote:I've been putting together a series of fixes for LMDE and intel/nvidia cards with compiz.

or

Thank you, worked great for my desktop's Intel 82G33/G31 onboard. I've tried almost the entire array of array of Compiz goodies and it hasn't missed a beat yet. Seems to be a little more solid than on my Ubuntu setup. Very useful post, thanks again!
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

azathoth wrote:Thank you, worked great for my desktop's Intel 82G33/G31 onboard. I've tried almost the entire array of array of Compiz goodies and it hasn't missed a beat yet. Seems to be a little more solid than on my Ubuntu setup. Very useful post, thanks again!
Thank you for the nice feedback. I'm glad you found it useful :)
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

any chance of making these mods (intel & nvidia drivers / tweaks) part of the default mint deb install just like ubuntu - i say it would really polish off the LMDE for newbies and all who want to try out and experience the best from the word go.
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

Or, they must be a new, LMDE Tutorial to explain these things. With the basic instructions, its easy for someone to install NVIDIA card or Compiz in less than five minutes.
Or to explain the different ways to deal with .deb packages and things like that.

Ah, compiz is impressive but sounds an overkill for me, regarding cpu usage. So, i have it deactivated by deafult and i start it in a moment whenever i wanna to impress someone :lol:
Damian

Post by Damian »

I noticed my intel driver wasn't up to snuff when I tried running Xmoto and found that OpenGL wouldn't work. ikey's script worked perfectly!
rufong

Post by rufong »

'preciate the how-to omns :)
its been my personal odyssey this past week.. thought i'd have to build compiz pkgs with 0.8.6 to get anywhere..

followed thy guide to, check removal of non-intel drivers, reconfig xorg
created/added ikey/mmesantos1 script to startup progs.
installed fusion-icon, it would load, from terminal, same error msg
added

Code: Select all

fusion-icon &
to second last line of their script
compiz wouldn't load, ran it from terminal, same error msg as damian
damian's solution didn't resolve it
had a monitor plugged into my laptop att, didn't think to remove it
saw that plugins mentioned in the ikey's emerald thread required installation of more compiz pkgs
apt-cache search pkg, apt show pkgname, apt policy pkgname, became my friends :lol:

i began playing with xorg, as /etc/X11 didn't have a xorg.conf
http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg seemed out of date, forums.debian gave me ideas
finally realized rebooting into recovery mode achieves single user mode

su

this would be different if u were using kde/kdm or xdm

/etc/init.d/gdm stop

X -configure
creates xorg.conf.new which i then

mv /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

su yourusername

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

sudo startx
at this point i'd login and the desktop would crash back to login
thought i'd go back to havin no xorg.conf and no compiz with monitor and desktop workin, deleted /etc/X11/xorg.conf
still crashing back to login, then i unplugged the monitor, and compiz + fusion-icon + emerald are working..

after login without my external monitor connected, i can use the fusion-icon to switch window manager to metacity,
then reconnect the monitor and watch flix full-screen. man everyone having to do with LMDE did a great job..

edit: more experienced brothers n sisters, forgive my sins[missing the target], hopefully someone can benefit from my Fumbling, hehe..
kwevej thx for the great themes
Compintuit

Post by Compintuit »

May I humbly suggest to you that changing /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager from gnome-wm to compiz will start compiz as the window manager with no other issues?
veronicathecow

Post by veronicathecow »

Hi am using the latest Nvidia drivers for my Zotac Ion atom motherboard thanks to a tip on using smxi to install.
The latest drivers are so much faster and less buggy than the installed ones.
It would be really appreciated if we could have the simple "Install Nvidia drivers" button like on another version
Many thanks
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

It would be really appreciated if we could have the simple "Install Nvidia drivers" button like on another version
Many thanks
+1 :cry:
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

i believe this is grabbing alot of attention....
AriOS comes with offline installer for proprietary Nvidia and ATI (AMD) graphics drivers (simply double click the icon on the desktop)........
http://www.webupd8.org/2010/12/arios-li ... heavy.html

all the best for 2011 every1 :mrgreen:
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

I just mostly followed your instructions for Nvidia (I have a Geforce 6150), but used the 195.36.24-1 packages instead of the 173, and it mostly worked except when I rebooted I got to a blank screen with a fast blinking cursor in the upper left, and I couldn't get out to a terminal to do anything.

So I rebooted again in rescue mode (or whatever it's called) and logged in, got a root prompt and ran the nvidia-xconfig and nvidia-settings, then rebooted and got a desktop login this time. I'm not sure if running those before a reboot would have worked or not? As I'd removed the nouveau stuff mentioned, it probably would have.

In addition to removing the 2 packages you mentioned (which also took out xserver-xorg-video-all) I did a package search in synaptic for 'nouveau' and found libdrm-nouveau1 installed so I removed that also (complete removal). Thanks for the instructions!

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”