Mint Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
randomizer

Re: Mint Debian

Post by randomizer »

zole052 wrote:Image
Well there you go. i normally just use the search anyway 8)
Orographic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Orographic »

randomizer wrote:Kernel 2.6.33 was the first to have full support for the i3, including the IGP. 2.6.32 may have some support for the CPU but I think IGP support is flaky at best.
So, would the 2.6.33 kernel be around any time soon on LMDE? I am happy to wait. :)
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

LMDE will get the update when Debian Testing does.

That sounded familiar...

*waves to fellow whirlpuddlian*
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

Is there a way one can improve change the way LMDE grub looks :oops:
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

Orographic wrote:
randomizer wrote:Kernel 2.6.33 was the first to have full support for the i3, including the IGP. 2.6.32 may have some support for the CPU but I think IGP support is flaky at best.
So, would the 2.6.33 kernel be around any time soon on LMDE? I am happy to wait. :)
You can easily install 2.6.35 from experimental or from the Liquorix repository.
For the Debian kernel from experimental, just add a line to your /etc/apt/sources list exactly like the one you have for "testing" but with "experimental" in its place.
Then open Synaptic, reload the package information and install the 2.6.35 kernel. There's no problem since your current kernel won't be removed. Also you can leave the experimental repo enabled since packages from there can only be installed if you explicitly request.

If you prefer to install a Liquorix kernel, which is tweaked for desktop use rather than for server use, add to /etc/apt/sources.list

Code: Select all

deb http://liquorix.net/debian sid main
Then open Synaptic, reload the package information and install liquorix-keyring and the 2.6.35 kernel.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

secipolla wrote:
Orographic wrote:
You can easily install 2.6.35 from experimental or from the Liquorix repository.
For the Debian kernel from experimental, just add a line to your /etc/apt/sources list exactly like the one you have for "testing" but with "experimental" in its place.
Then open Synaptic, reload the package information and install the 2.6.35 kernel. There's no problem since your current kernel won't be removed. Also you can leave the experimental repo enabled since packages from there can only be installed if you explicitly request.

If you prefer to install a Liquorix kernel, which is tweaked for desktop use rather than for server use, add to /etc/apt/sources.list

Then open Synaptic, reload the package information and install liquorix-keyring and the 2.6.35 kernel.

would this work on lm9
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

I think so. But I think the Ubuntu kernels are also tweaked for desktop use. In your case you could perhaps install Maverick Meerkat's kernel too, but then its repository would have to be disabled so as to not affect the other installed packages.
Orographic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Orographic »

secipolla wrote:
Orographic wrote:

Hi there,

I'm a newbie to LMDE and Mint in general. Could you run exactly through the process of doing this via the Liquorix kernel way? I've made an image of LMDE via Clonezilla so I can easily restore the original install if something goes awry.

1/ What is the best way to add to my sources list in LMDE? How do I open this file at terminal in LMDE?

2/ So, then I open Synaptic and reload?

3/ Then install liquorix-keyring at terminal via that link you gave?

4/ Will the newer kernel just be in Synaptic now for me to download?

5/ Will I see the options to choose between the original kernel and the new one on boot?

Thanks! :)
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

1. sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Switch steps 2 & 3

2. - 5. Yes
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

@Orographic
1) if you don't like the terminal . . Menu -> Control Center -> Software Sources . . click the Third Party tab, see below . . :)
2) do number 3, then number 2 . . :?
4) yes.
5) yes.
Screenshot.jpg
:)
Orographic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Orographic »

Ripper guys, thanks for your help.

Okay, I've got synaptic open now and have just entered 2.6.35 kernel in the quick search box.

Do I just select these two?

[] linux-headers-2.6.35-4.dmz.2-liquirox-686
[] linux-image-2.6.35.dmz2-liquirox-686
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I installed all 4 . . ?
Orographic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Orographic »

When I type '2.6.35 kernel' into synaptic I just get those two selections:

] linux-headers-2.6.35-4.dmz.2-liquirox-686
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I use the Origin button , then choose liquorix in the upper left.
Orographic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Orographic »

Thanks guys, all seems well now with the newer kernel.

Does this effect standard updates or anything else in LMDE?

I can always resort to an earlier clonezilla image anyway.
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

It doesn't affect anything else regarding the packages, except for kernel related ones, like the linux-headers. You need the linux-headers package if you need to build kernel modules like to install NVIDIA's proprietary video driver or VirtualBox kernel modules etc.

P.S. if later on you find out that a newer kernel has some betterment regarding your hardware, go and check Synaptic since from time to time the Liquorix kernel maintainer launches a new version. Then you can install it the same way and as usual the current kernels are kept. You can also remove an unused kernel through Synaptic or apt-get/aptitude.
Orographic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Orographic »

Thanks secipolla. Just out of interest, are you able to add this newer Liquorix kernel in Mint Standard just as easily? Or is that not possible because that version is based on Ubuntu?

My newish core i3 CPU and onboard HD graphics seem to like this newer Liquorix kernel more than the default one.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Orographic wrote:Thanks secipolla. Just out of interest, are you able to add this newer Liquorix kernel in Mint Standard just as easily? Or is that not possible because that version is based on Ubuntu?

My newish core i3 CPU and onboard HD graphics seem to like this newer Liquorix kernel more than the default one.
Correct, you cannot install an Ubuntu kernel in Debian. While Ubuntu is loosely based on Debian ... they are not compatible nor inter-changeable.

You can download the new 2.6.35 kernel for Ubuntu here >> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

And for Linux Mint Debian you can either use the generic Linux Kernel or the compiled for Debian Sid kernel: Liquorix

Liquorix kernel >> http://liquorix.net/

Basic Linux Kernel >> http://www.kernel.org/

Very helpful site for using/upgrading kernels >> http://kernelnewbies.org/

Please, note that when you are installing/upgrading a kernel ... there are 3 parts to it, and they MUST be installed in this order.
Download and then install the following IN THIS ORDER:

First, get the linux-headers file that ends with "all.deb".
Second, get the linux-headers file that ends with "i386.deb" or "amd64.deb" depending upon what architecture you need.
Finally, get the linux-image file that ends with "i386.deb" or "amd64.deb" again depending upon what architecture you need.

Honestly it doesn't really matter what order you download them in ... but, you need to make absolutely sure that you install them in this order.
Orographic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Orographic »

Thanks for your helpful post. The way I did it earlier today (Australian time) was to head to that liquirox link and I added the suggested link to my sources list and then installed the liquirox keyring. All went well, i think.

When I opened Synaptic and entered 2.6.35 kernel in the quick search box, I got this below:

[] linux-headers-2.6.35-4.dmz.2-liquirox-686

I selected both of these and installed them and they were then added to my kernel options on boot.

Is this correct?

If not, it is easy for me to restore a clonezilla image i made of LMDe earlier today and try again.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Yes. In Grub you should now be able to boot into your new kernel or your old one. If it boots and works then the kernel is installed correctly. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1

Return to “LMDE Archive”