[Solved] Webcam output is upside down

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Webcam output is upside down

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Have you checked Cheese Special Effects to see if "Vertical Flip" is enabled? I know it's basic, but sometimes the basic, obvious answer works.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Webcam output is upside down

Post by DrHu »

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-687663.html
--sound and other issues..
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=870681&page=2
upside down image in webcam

Code: Select all

modprobe xxxx_driver_name_xxx invert=1
ipernar

Re: [Solved] Webcam output is upside down

Post by ipernar »

Seems easy but doesn't work 4 me... i really dnt know what to do...
j0eh4x

Post by j0eh4x »

after updating v4l you need to add this to your launcher "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so"
Example
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so app_name
llmunro

Post by llmunro »

Hi,

Sorry to ask such a basic question, but I'm quite new to Mint and trying to figure out how to fix the upside-down web cam problem. I thought I'd try the suggestion made by A30N, but I am a bit confused. I open the password manager, type my password, go to settings> repositories....but here I don't see "new" or anywhere to type the url. Opening up repositories gives me a box with some options (tabs with LinuxMint software, Other Software, and Authentication), but none of the options described.

Am I just looking in the wrong place?

Many thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

Best,
Lisa
carloseap

Post by carloseap »

Hello, Lisa,

I am also new to Linux Mint and I was able to install the libraries by doing the following:

Went to update manager (the small icon of a lock that usually sits at the bottom right of your screen)
Select Edit - Software sources
Make sure the last 3 options are checked (backported packages, unstable packages and source code)
update manager will tell you that the package information is not up to date so click on the reload button.
close update manager and open package manager
on the search box type libv4. You will now find the libv4 libraries are listed there.
I don't know if I did the right thing, but I right click the libv4l-0 and libv4l-dev libraries and selected "mark for reinstallation" (since the "mark for upgrade option was grayed out). I use the 64 bit version of Linux Mint. I see there are other libraries there that are called lib32v4l-0 and lib324l-dev (I imagine they are for the 32 bit version).
After the libraries have been reinstalled, reboot your system and you will find that the camera is not upside down anymore.

Afterwards I believe you should again open the update manager and uncheck the software sources you previously checked so that you don't update those packages.

There should be an easier way to update libraries, but in the meantime this worked for me, so don't laugh at my stupid solution. :) I said I am completely new to Linux Mint, and so far I love it! I dual boot Mint and Windows 7 on my laptop, the two best OS's out there at this moment

Hope this helped someone!

PS: Sorry about my English, it's not my native language.
llmunro

Post by llmunro »

Hi carloseap,

I tried what you advised, but no luck! :(

Thank you very much!
Lisa

P.S. No sé si español es su idioma nativo, pero yo digo q escribe bien el inglés! Saludos! :)
carloseap

Post by carloseap »

Hi Lisa,

Sorry for not getting back to you before, and thanks for your comments :) Yes, Spanish is my native language.

Anyway, the webcam upside down issue has been corrected in version 9, which is awesome!

Cheers!

Carlos
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

ok tried all of the methods and no luck for me

when i start recording the frames freeze and have do a force exit on cheese. :roll:

heres the output of my specs.

tolga@tolga ~ $ lsusb
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 002: ID 0b05:1751 ASUSTek Computer, Inc. 
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 045e:00f6 Microsoft Corp. 
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 006: ID 058f:6366 Alcor Micro Corp. Multi Flash Reader
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 04f2:b036 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd 
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0718:1900 Imation Corp. 
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1199:6880 Sierra Wireless, Inc. 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
tolga@tolga ~ $ dmesg | grep uvc
[   16.085535] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device USB2.0 0.3M UVC WebCam (04f2:b036)
[   16.089206] usbcore: registered new interface driver uvcvideo
tolga@tolga ~ $
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
Enna

Post by Enna »

carloseap wrote:
Anyway, the web cam upside down issue has been corrected in version 9, which is awesome!

Cheers!

Carlos
Well, I have Mint 9 and I still have the problem that my web cam is upside down; could someone please tell me, what I need to do?
Cheese, Skype and other web cam programs all show the picture upside-down... and I tried everything that was recommended on the other threads to solve this problem, but nothing worked, in fact my whole system crushed and I had to reinstall Isadora....

Help will be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Enna

PS: I'm using an ASUS K70AD
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

mine also seems to freeze (system) when i start to record, the recording fails as it freezes on the frame rates and play back of recorded clips ae extremely laggy and absolutely hopeless - its like trying to stream via dialup
Image Image
Enna

Post by Enna »

This worked for me with the latest Ubuntu version on ASUS K20:
Upside Down Web Cam Simple Fix
Many laptop put their webcam upside down resulting in flipped images in Ubuntu. There were fixes for some but for some you had to physically remount the camera. The webcam that comes with Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is also mounted upside down. Unluckily there wasn't any simple fix for this. (some people rotated the camera physically).

Fortunately Hans de Goede came with a beautiful solution.

Open Terminal and add libv4l ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libv4l/ppa
Update your software list
sudo aptitude update
Install libv4l
sudo aptitude install libv4l-0
You have to use the following command to open any application that uses webcam
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so application_name
If you use 64 bit system, use the following command
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so application_name
For example:
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
See also: http://techspalace.blogspot.com/2010/02 ... e-fix.html

Good luck,
Enna
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

thanks so MUCH...yeppie it upright. but cheese freezes the moment i start recording....

also the video is upside down in skype....lol.....is there a solution
webcam = usb2 0.3 uvc webcam

edit:
[solved] followed the above post and did LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype and web cam is upright. but i shouldnt be doing this all the time....no way a selling point for people wanting to try linux in general...
Image Image
Enna

Post by Enna »

I did this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=57768 -> sixth post
Is there any way to set it up so that I don't have to run that command every time I want to launch Skype? Having done it once and had it work fine, it reverts to being upside-down when I launch Skype as normal, which is highly inconvenient. Help?

Enna

PS: My webcam: Chicony Electronics Co. Ltd. 2.0 M UVC webcam, computer model: ASUS K70AD
Enna

Post by Enna »

Maybe part of the solution (quoted from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=870681&page=2):
Hum..... Well the script could look like this...

#!/bin/bash

modprobe xxxx_driver_name_xxx invert=1

In KDE there is a Autostart folder, I don't know about Gnome I bet there is. The other way of makeing it run at startup is puting it in your startup daemons. I have that "alsascript" run at startup by puting it in my daemons. I have my script to turn the brightness up in my Autostart folder in KDE because KDE starting is what turns down the brightness.
Anyway back to the web cam fix.... To put it in the daemons you need to... I don't know terditional Linux setup... But in BSD an Archlinux you put the script in /etc/rc.d folder and then add the name to the deamons array in /etc/rc.conf... Dose any one know what folder you list stuff to start in normal Linux???

If that dosn't work i.e. Gnome starting is what is messing it up. Then you have to put it in the Autostart folder..... Owe hay I found a grate Wiki on the Gentoo sight here is a link...

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Autostart_Programs

If you need root privleges to use Modeprobe then you have to give your user the ability to exicute the "webcamscript" with no password. You do this by adding this line to the sudoers file (to edit the sudoers file just type... sudo visudo)

# Same thing without a password
# %groupname ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
username ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: path/to/script/webcamscript

Then you have to write at new script to put into the auto start folder...

#!/bin/bash

sudo webcamscript

Check out how I did my Backlight bright on startup Workaround and I guess in is EZ to do it in Gnome to so you don't have to turn it up by hand every time you strat your computer...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...deapad&page=19
This is just way to confusing to me - can someone please tell me in simple language and in an organised way, what I need to do step by step to add a script to autostart? Only if that is the right way to do it anyway...

Thanks,
Enna
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

This is just way to confusing to me - can someone please tell me in simple language and in an organised way, what I need to do step by step to add a script to autostart? Only if that is the right way to do it anyway...

Thanks,
Enna
i tried this in linux mint 10

in terminal mode

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libv4l
sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install gtk-v4l libv4l-0
go to package manager and install

v4l2ucp
If mint 32bit, do:

sudo su
echo -e '#!/bin/sh\nLD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so $1\nexit 0' > /bin/webcamWrapper
chmod +x /bin/webcamWrapper
exit
If mint 32bit, while in terminal:

webcamWrapper skype
webcamWrapper amsn
or if that dosnt work, try this in terminal instead

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
If mint 64bit, do:

sudo su
echo -e '#!/bin/sh\nLD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so $1\nexit 0' > /bin/webcamWrapper
echo -e '#!/bin/sh\nLD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so $1\nexit 0' > /bin/webcamWrapper32
chmod +x /bin/webcamWrapper
chmod +x /bin/webcamWrapper32
exit
If mint 64bit, while in terminal:

webcamWrapper32 skype
webcamWrapper amsn
or if that dosnt work, try this in terminal

i found that the only time the image would be upright was by running the following in terminal

its a real inconvient way to run it, so what i do is type

history
and then place a ! in front of the number the preload command is listed on, e.g, when i run history i would get say

1 dir
2 LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
3 etc etc etc etc
so by entering

!2
will run the preload command. hope this helps.
Image Image
Enna

Post by Enna »

ibm450! Yes, that helps and works in Mint 9 as well; so everytime I want to use Skype, I have to open terminal and type eg. "!2", right? Otherwise my webcam shows an upside down picture in Skype.
Thank you very much! :D

... now it's only the microphone I need to fix ... btw, will all these complications just vanish once Skype has a 64bit version for my 64bit computer?

Cheers!
Enna
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

Enna wrote:ibm450! Yes, that helps and works in Mint 9 as well; so everytime I want to use Skype, I have to open terminal and type eg. "!2", right? Otherwise my webcam shows an upside down picture in Skype.
Thank you very much! :D

... now it's only the microphone I need to fix ... btw, will all these complications just vanish once Skype has a 64bit version for my 64bit computer?

Cheers!
Enna
64bit skype? dont know, im using lm10 64bit and the skype is in beta version.
so everytime I want to use Skype, I have to open terminal and type eg. "!2", right?
depends on what list number your preloasd shows up on, and yes unfortunately thats what i have to do as i dont know how to create a shortcut to do this automatically, perhaps some one else would like to post?

but bear in mind, yours may be listed as number 34 or 100???

putting a ! in front of your history list number is like a short cut to that particular command used.

you can use the history command to list all the previous cli's used and re-execute a command by entering a ! followed by the number. the above was just a example, so in short, type history, enter and then find your preload command, take note of the number in front of it, then type ! followed by the number and enter, presto!!!
Image Image
Enna

Post by Enna »

Thanks, I know, in my case it's !62, I just used your example too :)
I just read on the Skype website, that the Beta version is a 32bit one and that they are working on a 64bit version:
Myth: There is a 64-bits version of skype available for download.

No, there is not yet. However, we assembled a "helper" package which will pull corresponding 32-bits libraries. This is made entirely for your convenience, so you don't have to go and hunt for these packages yourself. This brings some compatibility issues with some (especially video) libraries. Check the forum for more details.
We are working on providing a native 64-bits version of Skype.
See also: http://blogs.skype.com/linux/2009/09/so ... tions.html
Also interesting, Skype forum about video issues in Linux: http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showfo ... 5bed875733

Cheers,
Enna
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

i added skype shortcut to the panel
right click skype icon in start menu, and select "add to panel"
then right click skype icon in the panel, properties, and replace anything in the command box with
bash -c 'webcamWrapper32 skype'
for me its now working through this way :D instead of going through terminal, history and ! the cli line :mrgreen:

hope this helps
Image Image

Return to “Hardware Support”