How to install Dropbox on Linux Mint 9 Fluxbox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Steerpike

How to install Dropbox on Linux Mint 9 Fluxbox

Post by Steerpike »

At least, here's what worked for me.

First, go to the Dropbox web site. Download the package that says 'compile from source.' Once it is downloaded, use the archive manager to extract it to wherever you want it.

Next go to the terminal. Here's what I did (as root):

apt-get install libnautilus-extension-dev

apt-get install python-docutils

Once those packages are installed, make sure you are in the Dropbox folder that you extracted. Still in terminal:

./configure
make
make install

Then you type the following to start Dropbox:

dropbox start -i

Works great. I still need to modify a file in Fluxbox to get it to run Dropbox automatically upon boot.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mizh

Re: How to install Dropbox on Linux Mint 9 Fluxbox

Post by Mizh »

Thank you very much!

If you are a newbie like me and have trouble extracting the 'nautilus-dropbox-0.6.3.tar.bz2' file, then try:
$ tar -xjf nautilus-dropbox-0.6.3.tar.bz2

Beside that, it seems to be working just perfect. Now I just need to find that fluxbox config file too, to make it start when fluxbox starts :)
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

I have fixed the mint-dropbox package. Hopefully the update will be out in a day or so. This should provide an easier alternative for those wanting Dropbox on systems that don't have nautilus or any of it's dependencies.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I realize that this thread is a bit old; however, I'm actually really glad I came across this thread. However, I did just one thing different. I downloaded and extracted the 64 bit Ubuntu version of dropbox. Post extraction, I found via the install GUI that I was missing python-docutils. I, myself merely utilized Steerpikes method of

apt-get install python-docutils

Which nicely resolved the issue for myself.

Return to “Software & Applications”