Gnome Network-Manager keeps dropping connection

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Frijolie wrote:see what I mean?
Not really. What WiFi hardware do you have?
Frijolie wrote:What do the two orbs (that turn green) mean and/or symbolize that the blue thingy twirls around?
Most likely that it's trying to establish a connection.

Can you try what happens if you get closer to your WiFi access point? Maybe the signal strength is plain wrong and it's actualy weaker than indicated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I'm not that stupid.
Hi, there's no need for that kind of language. Excuse your French :)

Anyway, I have a 2200bg myself and it works perfectly without encryption (no neighbours --> no need for that) and DHCP.

I believe the bottom orb turns green when the Access point answers an ARP request sent by the computer, and the top one turns green when it answers a DHCP one and assigns your computer an IP.

Clem
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Frijolie wrote:I have an Intel Pro Wireless 2200bg
OK, same here. Sometimes the signal strength shown is wrong and it gets better if I move closer to the access point.
Frijolie wrote:Because sometimes the bottom orb will stay green and the top one will never change when it's twirling.
Might be a problem with the passkey or the chosen encryption method? In my case I had to select WPA-PSK and TKIP manually ... leaving stuff on "auto" would not work.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

That's the one I have I think... is it the one that comes with only one antenna ? There's a similar looking one with two antennas though. They're using different components and chipsets inside though. The one with one antenna is a really bad router and often drops connection (that's the one I have) the one with two antennas is supposed to be much better.

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

The one with one antenna is called WRK54G... really really bad router :).

Clem
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Frijolie wrote: I've also been sure to upgrade to the latest firmware on the router a while ago and have changed channels and frequencies since the last post.
Yes, that might help. Do you have any neighbours who might be using WLAN equipment too? Is there any TV set or microwave oven nearby? Or maybe some larger metal constructions somewhere somehow? Or maybe some electric cable or pipe passing through the wall?

All that stuff can cause interferences with WLAN signals. In my case there are like a dozen or so WLAN's in the direct neighbourhood and finding a channel where the others don't get into my way took me a while. Plus I had to add a stronger antenna to my router, the original plastic one was way too weak.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Mine is fine.. but again I really live in the middle of nowhere. So there's not much interference around here.

eth1 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"galaxy"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz
Bit Rate:24 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm Sensitivity=8/0
Retry limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=61/100 Signal level=-64 dBm Noise level=-89 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:1 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:6

On the router itself I only have DHCP running, I disabled everything else because it used to drop connection frequently but only on certain types of requests so I assumed there was a bug in the firmware. As you said, ethernet connections were not affected.. only the wifi side of the router. It's now more or less OK... I still have to reset it maybe once a day, once every two days..

Clem
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

clem wrote:.. but again I really live in the middle of nowhere.
I suppose that kind of excludes Paris as the place where you live? :wink: But seriously and just out of curiosity, where in France are you? I'm just wondering :)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I don't live in France :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

clem wrote:I don't live in France :wink:
Oh? In Antarctica then? :lol:
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

:roll:
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Scorp123: Ireland.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

clem wrote:Scorp123: Ireland.
Not that much of a difference from Antarctica :wink: Just kidding of course :lol: I myself would have almost moved to Ireland a few years back. I had a job offer from there. But I chickened out and instead stayed here in Switzerland. :? Oh well. You can't have everything :D
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Most of the time I'm seeing 5-6 other networks in range
It's time you and your neighbors stop securing your own networks and talk to each other to find a cheaper and more communal way to access the Internet :)

When WIFI came up I really thought "this is the end of the ISP, people will make their own Internet by loose-connecting to each others". I was wrong. Instead of a new Internet came new encryption technologies.

We're only human after all..

Clem
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

clem wrote: When WIFI came up I really thought "this is the end of the ISP, people will make their own Internet by loose-connecting to each others". I was wrong.
No, in fact you were partially right!
http://www.fon.com/ ... I have used this community-driven service many times and it just blows internet cafes out of the water.
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

ill stick to good old fashioned cables, our orange livebox is so temperamental that the people who use the wireless keep making me fix it about once a day.
just drops connections

Return to “Networking”