Install Mint flavoured Fluxbox manually

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ltpitt

Install Mint flavoured Fluxbox manually

Post by ltpitt »

Hello my minty friends!

I'm an Ubuntu fan and I've recently discovered the Mint flavour of linux.
I think the wildest dream was to find out a solid distro with a cool look working on ultra aged pcs.
Isadora Fluxbox is definitely the choice and I'm incredibly happy and satisfied (almost like all the ultra aged pc owners that see life back in their little puppies' chips).

Here comes the problem.

I have different friends (and I have a Powerbook and an iMac mysel) with really old macs.
I can easily install ubuntu ppc minimal on those machines but I'd like to get the minty fluxbox installed.
Is it possible or is a true pain and hell of manual disaster?
If the answer is: "no you can't without being a real expert" can I just download and install main eye candy and features?

Thanks a lot and keep up the awesome work! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
linuxopjemac

Re: Install Mint flavoured Fluxbox manually

Post by linuxopjemac »

You could start from LXDE and install Fluxbox:
http://mac.linux.be/content/linux-mint- ... c-released

It is Debian based though, but it's better than Ubuntu for PPC based Macs: less bugs.

If you like you can do it yourself from Ubuntu.
ltpitt

Post by ltpitt »

I saw that you also made a great script to do it almost automatically...

Does this script work on ubuntu? (I've already made a looooooooong install and it would be sad to miss it)
I can install fluxbox anywhere, no problems, but I'd miss the Mint look'n'feel...
Can't I add mint repositories and install manually the main things that make Mint... Mint? :)
linuxopjemac

Post by linuxopjemac »

I have never tried that. Note that not all package in the official Mint repositories are for all architectures (all.deb). The ones which are specific for i386 or amd will not work. I don't know if you can install those packages from my version of Mint Debian. You can try it out yourself. Good luck.
linuxopjemac

Post by linuxopjemac »

http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php? ... ra-Fluxbox

You will see that fbrandr is not "all-arch", as well as fluxbox and tint2.

Return to “Software & Applications”