Fedora Edition?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
justinrixx

Fedora Edition?

Post by justinrixx »

Hey, just wondering the ETA on Fedora edition, or if Clem is still serious about it :)

I'm TOTALLY looking forward to it!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Fedora Edition?

Post by linuxviolin »

Personally, I don't know. But yes, a Fedora edition/try would be a good idea/thing, like a Debian edition although unfortunately for the Debian one, it will be a rolling release, but this can not be the case with Fedora. Btw, everything which is not Ubuntu and/or Ubuntu based is a good thing... :mrgreen:

OK, go ahead, unleash yourself now guys! :lol:

P.S.= But I would prefer maybe even more yet a CentOS, or Scientific, edtion/try... :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
cra1g321

Post by cra1g321 »

a server edition would maybe increase the popularity and users of mint.
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

... and why not have a Mint slackware, and Mint mandriva?

this can go on without any stopping - end result will only be a loss in focus.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

cra1g321 wrote:a server edition would maybe increase the popularity and users of mint.
Why not, if it's not Ubuntu based... :roll:
alpha1 wrote:... and why not have a Mint slackware, and Mint mandriva?

In fact, the *ultimate* idea could be to focus on just two editions. One on an "up-to-date" distro like Fedora for instance, and one on a more "rock-solid but maybe a little old", and one which can be used like a desktop and like a server, as CentOS or Scientific... :idea:

Although with the arrival of RHEL 6 which is based on Fedora 12, the side "old" probably will no longer there, at least for some years... and no more Mono by default with Fedora and CentOS, I hope. :roll: :)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
justinrixx

Post by justinrixx »

alpha1 wrote:

IMHO . . .

Why doesn't Mint just go totally open with the development process like Ubuntu? I can download the daily build of Ubuntu. I can't even download any milestone releases of Mint (except RC, which may not be different at all from final/stable) This way, they will get more testing data (I know Clem likes to test things himself, and he still could) and crash reports and different hardware. More people would be more likely to contribute to development, because they were allowed to. If more people were allowed to participate in development, we wouldn't have to lose focus, we could do all projects simultaneously.
Craig_Dem

Post by Craig_Dem »

justinrixx wrote:
alpha1 wrote:

IMHO . . .

Why doesn't Mint just go totally open with the development process like Ubuntu? I can download the daily build of Ubuntu. I can't even download any milestone releases of Mint (except RC, which may not be different at all from final/stable) This way, they will get more testing data (I know Clem likes to test things himself, and he still could) and crash reports and different hardware. More people would be more likely to contribute to development, because they were allowed to. If more people were allowed to participate in development, we wouldn't have to lose focus, we could do all projects simultaneously.
The whole point of Mint (Non-Debian) is that it is a refined, improved ubuntu. It is pointless to release daily builds because you may as well use the ubuntu ones. There is a testing team that individually tests the release on it's hardware and then when they deem it ready, it goes to RC. RC isn't a final release and so any other testers should download this and report any bugs. These bugs are normally fixed and then the Final release happens. There is no need for loads of pre-RC releases like ubuntu because Mint doesn't release to a date. It releases when ready. Thus it needs no pre-releases o ready for the launch date. Anyone willing to help should just say they want to develop and i'm sure one of the curent developers would show them where to fork current mint tools. I think Any further releases based on other releases will need to be "CE" versions. Debian was different because it was rolling release. If you want to make a mint slack-ware or a mandriva, start one. Once you have something start a thread or pass a copy to Clem and i'm sure he would review it.
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Are there are Red Hat or Fedora Spinoffs that have all the codecs and drivers added by default?
jesica

Post by jesica »

I second for slackware

but I thought we moving towards Debian, what is this about Fedora :(
LongRider

Post by LongRider »

A spin on Fedora or Scientific????? Count me in!!! Imagine those two distro's with all the Minty tweaks! Sweet! Where do i sign up? :D
specmod0

Post by specmod0 »

how about Slackware how about arch? this is getting out of hand.
Hunter067

Post by Hunter067 »

What about openSUSE? Maybe an enterprise edition based off of Red Hat (RHEL), CentOS, or maybe n SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED); but then, a server edition would be a great idea...
jesica

Post by jesica »

Sorry

I don't think it will move to Fedora

Clem won't do that
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

A Fedora Edition was just an idea that was being considered at one time. There is a Fedora spin now that is very much like Mint but I do not remember what they decided to call it.
jesica

Post by jesica »

but why would they want to run Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora base?

it will be to much work, and would all 3 of them be effective with stableness
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The Debian Edition seems to be a big hit and it is not drastically different from the Ubuntu based editions. Using a Fedora base would be a drastic change in my opinion. There are currently many editions supported and we really have our hands full as it is. Currently, the Debian Edition is the one to keep an eye on. :D
jesica

Post by jesica »

thanks for the info

I am glad to here that,

may I also ask please

what would be the change if someone comes along and ask to work on a server edition for Mint

will Clem says yes
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

what would be the change if someone comes along and ask to work on a server edition for Mint

will Clem says yes

That would be something Clem would have to answer. Something like this would of course have have to go through our testing process. It wouldn't hurt to ask.
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

The changes Mint made seem to be geared towards the end user and not have anything to do with servers. I dont think it would fit with Mints goals to do a server edition, unless they created a server edition that was a lot easier to use and geared for helping people create their personal home cloud networks or something. That would be cool. But for regular servers I dont think it would really fit with Mint goals (they can correct me), since the changes they have created are geared towards making it easier for noobs but in a way that encourages them to delve deeper rather than remain perpetual noobs.....the Mint control panel encouraged me to start changing settings that I previously didnt pay attention to on the old Ubuntu gnome menus....also Ubuntu menus are less space efficient, even if you add both the advanced gnome menu as well as the main gnome menu...those kinds of benefits are not necessarily important for servers which may not even have a GUI.

Then again I am not really an authority on Mints goals and ambitions....I got chewed out for suggesting that Mint wants to compete with Windows because that it Ubuntus goal, but then somewhere on the Mint website it comes out and says that they are competing with Windows and other operating systems, and this leaves me thoroughly confused.

:idea: ? :| :?:

I think the problem is that in some peoples minds, competing = copying, while not competing = being the best you can be while ignoring the competition. While I think there is a valid pep talk in that perspective, I dont think that competing means copying or that ignoring your competition means you will necessarily produce a better operating system. I think Linux is a benefit to humanity and should attempt to move mainstream rather than be a fallback for hackers, but thats just me. That means encroaching on Linux, and replacing it rather than complimenting it.

/end rant

Anyway, it just doesnt seem that the kind of end user tweaks that Mint is known for are of significant value to the server market. In fact, I think we should observe Ubuntu Studio and start looking at kernel tweaks where we can reduced latency that is caused by considering the needs of servers and fully optimize the kernel for end user performance rather than versatility with servers. The interface is optimized but some performance boosts over ubuntu Main would be nice.
jesica

Post by jesica »

Nick_Djinn it is true, it is maybe a waste of time, but Mint already shows its mark in the world,

But I don't know if you have read the figure is of for the number of Mint users

so maybe a server edition will be nice, I also think it will be different from the others out their

also change the interface and get a noteboot version, alot of people ask for that, not that it will really make a difference, since Mint already runs most notebooks

and if you really want to go big, change one versions also for the advance users

but hey, I know it is just me and alot of people will argue with me, and in the end it is up to Clem

But I really like Mint and I reckon it can compete with the top guns out their like Gentoo and Slackware

Return to “Non-technical Questions”