Windows is user friendly? I question that!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
simpleblue

Windows is user friendly? I question that!

Post by simpleblue »

Let's make it simple for Windows. The goal is to run a small and popular game on Vista called Bookworm. That's easy enough, right?

I'm going to explain the process to run this 'easy and fun'' game. Please keep in mind that this is not my computer. I would never install such garbage:

First I am presented with what looks like art that a 5 year old child would make by moving short-cut icons around the screen. It's not my computer, so I'll roll with that, but I'll mention that it's not just this computer that has this premature icon arrangement. It's most Windows computers I've seen... Next I am in the 'Start Menu' and about to find and execute Bookworm. But wait - Where's the game? The program directory is HUGE! :shock:

My first instinct is to look under 'Games' directory in this Start Menu. It's not there. I see so many programs and they seem to be under their creators names. That makes sense though, because what's more important to a corporate money hungry company, the game, or their OWN image and name? And even if they have to make it difficult for the user, they stand proud that it was THEM who made it. Yep, sounds about right.

So, with my resourcefulness I decided to look it up on the net. I find a scattered IE button on desktop and click it. Grumble, snort, grumble, snooooooort, snoooooooooooooooooort. grumble grumble.... Just open the damn browser! Is that too much to ask? :roll:

The Explorer browser is flooded with advertisement docks that were likely installed, by accident, when it's owner installed other programs. Many people don't want to read all that junk so they just press the 'Forward' button to confirm it all.

I quickly find the information on the web that I need and then I'm able to find the directory and play the game, but now I'm so pissed off from just getting there that I'm no longer in the mood.

Keep in mind that I did not include the install process. It's not the one click install like we might want to believe: Email collection and confirmation. Do we want an icon on the desktop or directory? Please read this seven page disclosure carefully about how these people will sue you if you in ANY way whatsoever copy ANY aspect THEIR beloved game. Confirm that you have read it by clicking on the "I agree" tab, thus actively moving from the "I do not agree" and making it impossible that you somehow didn't read it or just pressed 'Enter' by accident and skipped it.. I have now fully committed to their agreement and have THEIR material on my computer.

I then go back to my Linux Mint OS and give it a HUGE virtual hug! I missed you! :P
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deleted

Re: Windows is user friendly? I question that!

Post by deleted »

How about 3 different ways to share a folder in Win7? Interestingly enough, the "Advanced" way is the way we've always done it in previous versions of Windows.
-Hinto
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

simpleblue wrote:Confirm that you have read it by clicking on the "I agree" tab, thus actively moving from the "I do not agree" and making it impossible that you somehow didn't read it or just pressed 'Enter' by accident and skipped it.
And don't forget that you missed the little box that was checked causing you to also agree to install "Uncle Fred's Whoopdidoo Toolbar".
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

hinto wrote:How about 3 different ways to share a folder in Win7? Interestingly enough, the "Advanced" way is the way we've always done it in previous versions of Windows.
-Hinto
Pray you don't have computers on your network that are not running Win 7 too. HomeGroups? Great idea... if everyone is running Win 7.
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

and as a result, the notorious "average windows user" finds himself lost in that labyrinth and messes up with all those skywalking toolbars and non-purpose pop-windows and then...
..then, there is the Superman, aka the technician who can fix anything for a fistful of euros.

Return to “Chat about Linux”