How Nerdy are You?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How Nerdy are You?

Post by shane »

I don't know why it said I was cool... I don't have a light sabre, stack of comics or Star Trek DVDs... No way you can be cool without those, right :D

But I'll take it!
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

shane,

I decided to accept my "Cool Lightweight Nerd" status gladly - I have none of the things you mentioned either,there must be other,subtle criteria for coolness that we are just too cool to even know about..... :lol: :lol:
BrianD

Post by BrianD »

You people have forced me to take this test. I hope you can live with yourselves, now.

BrianD

Post by BrianD »

...and, if it helps (probably not...), I also scored a 1540 on the SAT and aced the ASVAB boards in 10th grade, so I'm not used to seeing 2-digit test scores. :wink:
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

:lol:
BrianD

Post by BrianD »

heh, thanks.. see ya at the next Mensa meeting! :wink:
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

BrianD wrote:...and, if it helps (probably not...), I also scored a 1540 on the SAT and aced the ASVAB boards in 10th grade, so I'm not used to seeing 2-digit test scores. :wink:
The current SAT is scored very different than the old SATs. They re-jiggered the curve when they applied a different statistical model to the scoring. Net result? Old curve was a steeper bell. New curve is a shallower bell, so a higher "score" for the same percentile rank.

How nerdy am I?
I'm nerdy enough to understand the statistics that give the above statement meaning. :D
I'm nerdy enough to know that the "nerd test" cannot possibly be producing a percentile score, but only a percentage score, as a percentile score is an expression of a deviation from a mean and must therefore be cohorted.
Robin

Post by Robin »

Cool History/Lit Geek. Sounds accurate to me, for whom a computer is "just a tool" even though I spend a lot of time behind a keyboard.
BrianD

Post by BrianD »

AK Dave wrote:
BrianD wrote:...and, if it helps (probably not...), I also scored a 1540 on the SAT and aced the ASVAB boards in 10th grade, so I'm not used to seeing 2-digit test scores. :wink:
The current SAT is scored very different than the old SATs. They re-jiggered the curve when they applied a different statistical model to the scoring. Net result? Old curve was a steeper bell. New curve is a shallower bell, so a higher "score" for the same percentile rank.
Thanks, I'm familiar. ;) For your reference, though, it was quite a while ago, when the max score was 1600. Next, if you like, we can discuss other test scores and their meanings. ...I usually don't quote a number, but rather the number of standard deviations above the mean, though, because many of the "standardized" tests use the same mean, but a different standard deviation, so unless the score is exactly at the mean, the number itself doesn't mean a thing. (for those keeping notes, the most common tests use a standard deviation of 24 or 16 [and, there are other, less common values in less common tests] -- but even with those two, it makes the score in an of itself, useless. ;)) So, Dave, if you're still following along here, it's in the neighborhood of +3.25 std dev, which correlates roughly with the SAT score given above.
AK Dave wrote:How nerdy am I?
I'm nerdy enough to understand the statistics that give the above statement meaning. :D
Yeah, I hear ya -- and I'm nerdy enough to know what you said and reply to it. :wink:
AK Dave wrote:I'm nerdy enough to know that the "nerd test" cannot possibly be producing a percentile score, but only a percentage score, as a percentile score is an expression of a deviation from a mean and must therefore be cohorted.
...nor was the test proctored or timed, nor nearly extensive enough in any of the subject areas to give a true representation, much less assign various representative scores to named levels. For instance, I can assure you I didn't get any of math or science questions wrong, yet it gives me only a score of 99. Likewise, I didn't get to see an answer key so I'm not sure how it scored, but the question regarding the "100 years war" is correctly answered as "no, you're wrong!" because it lasted 116 years, not 106 as (probably typo'd) in the test question...
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Five months on I took the test again....things have got worse,much worse...
Last time I was a "Cool Lightweight Nerd".....
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Just a high nerd here . Have to admit after learning a little assembler and fortran back in the late 70's I knew I was not cut out to be a programmer . Couldn't stang the idea of coding 8 to 12 hours a day in assemmble :roll: . but with the TOG TNG question they should have had a Picard vs Kirk answer :)
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Oh well: Slightly Dorky High Nerd. But I wanna be cool. :lol: Must be because I don't have a comic book collection. :(
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Cool Light-Weight Nerd - I'll take that :)
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

heh I got this:

Second try just for fun:
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Uber-Dorky Nerd God is the funniest yet
Wear it with pride deadguy.... :lol:
DarkRubySage

Post by DarkRubySage »

Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

This thread is getting big - time to repost the link for ease of use....

http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_nt2.php

Return to “Open Chat”