Anyone else noticed this with some software websites ??

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cra1g321

Anyone else noticed this with some software websites ??

Post by cra1g321 »

I have noticed now and again that certain websites for multi-platform programs (runs on windows, mac,linux) their downloads sections says 'Windows version, Mac version, Ubuntu version) and thats it.
Theres no Fedora version, opensuse version, arch version etc. Just ubuntu.
Or i have noticed that on the homepage it will says runs on Windows, Mac, Linux then when you go to Downloads page it just gives you a ubuntu version.
Some though do include the source packages but thats not much use for the beginner user who doesnt run ubuntu.

This isnt really a problem for me as i run LinuxMint/ubuntu but it think this would be annoying for the users who maybe run a RPM based distro to find that some websites only have ubuntu packages rather than having RPM package for other distros too.

It just seems to me that Linux is starting to be being seen by some people as Ubuntu rather than Linux being multiple distros/packages.

Am i just over-reacting a bit or has anyone else noticed this ???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Anyone else noticed this with some software websites ??

Post by waldo »

cra1g321 wrote: . . .

It just seems to me that Linux is starting to be being seen by some people as Ubuntu rather than Linux being multiple distros/packages.

Am i just over-reacting a bit or has anyone else noticed this ???
You've touched on the reality that the Linux community is going to have to accept. Ubuntu and its compatible derivatives such as Mint comprise over half of all Linux users. Developers of software see this as a good thing, because they have no interest in maintaining multiple Linux versions. The package wars are over, and the Deb/Ubuntu version has won. The sooner everyone gets on board, the faster Linux will expand by drawing other mainstream software developers.

One can argue the fine points of package distribution ad infinitum, but that is a silly waste of time. We don't develop software for playing with installation processes, we develop it to be used, and it doesn't really matter how it gets installed as long as it does. This is one "choice" no one needs.
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

My thinking exactly waldo.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

It's too much trouble to make a package for every available distro. They just do it for the largest platforms. Consider it a good thing that they even have a Linux package available. Most distros provide a way to convert packages from other distros. Debian/Ubuntu has alien, and I'm pretty sure Fedora has something similar. In the worst case, you should be able to get the source code and compile the package yourself on whatever distro you're running.
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

The Bigger problem is that most people thinks that Ubuntu is Linux :shock:A few days ago a person came in my shop to ask about Linux on his XP Machine Opened my Laptop Mint came up -Asked me what is this? pulled out a small paper with Ubuntu 10.04 wrote on it said the computer guy at work told him that was Linux(he knows i use Mint) I know this is just one small town story but i wonder how many times this happens when people want to try Linux-On web Sites it's not only software but much coverage is about buntu-Some writers think Mint is Ubuntu :? -While i don't think the OP's question is that big of a Deal, It could be a problem as ubuntu tries to be more like Apple,(more ond more buntu programs won't work on Debian)
Look like LMDE will be a better base for a new Mint Main and other .deb distros.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

OldManHook wrote: . . . It could be a problem as ubuntu tries to be more like Apple,(more ond more buntu programs won't work on Debian)
Look like LMDE will be a better base for a new Mint Main and other .deb distros.
I'd guess there are 100 Ubuntu based (including Mint) users for every Debian user. That's Debian's problem, not Ubuntu's. Clem appears to have enough sense to stay with the winning team, as his goal is in sync with Shuttleworth's. LMDE is a fine distraction, if it does not interfere with the main development path.

I really don't understand the noises being made by some posters here trying to change the direction of Mint. Getting more people to use Linux is the goal of Ubuntu and Mint. Debian probably doesn't care about this, and that's okay. If you like Debian, use it.
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

I have three computers running new OS's, two with Mint 9 Xfce, one with PepperMint with Xfce installed from Synaptic. So far the ones with Mint 9 Xfce and Ubuntu as the base are winning my favor but I really like the idea of a rolling release so I am going to give LMDE a fair try. I think when Clem gets back to LMDE we will see some important improvements. Also the problem with fsck on boot is hanging heavy on my evaluation.
linmint777

Post by linmint777 »

is true for most people, Ubuntu is seen every day that passes as a standard in Linux.
cra1g321

Post by cra1g321 »

sgosnell wrote:It's too much trouble to make a package for every available distro. They just do it for the largest platforms. Consider it a good thing that they even have a Linux package available. Most distros provide a way to convert packages from other distros. Debian/Ubuntu has alien, and I'm pretty sure Fedora has something similar. In the worst case, you should be able to get the source code and compile the package yourself on whatever distro you're running.
Yh i can understand this, but i noticed that instead of it being Windows version, Mac version, Linux version, with the Linux version being deb package and rpm package plus source. Some websites dont say linux and just ubuntu and just have a deb package not even a rpm package.

But i guess there just targeting the most popular
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Yes, Ubuntu is by far the most popular, and some developers don't seem to bother to compile a package in .rpm format. It does take more time and effort, and you have to load the software to make the other package formats. If you're not running Fedora or a variant that uses .rpm, it's a pain to make such a package. I'm just happy to see a Linux package at all. I can use a conversion tool without complaining about it.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

waldo wrote:Developers of software see this as a good thing, because they have no interest in maintaining multiple Linux versions. The package wars are over, and the Deb/Ubuntu version has won. The sooner everyone gets on board, the faster Linux will expand by drawing other mainstream software developers.
..they have no interest in maintaining multiple Linux versions
That is a commercial viewpoint
--most software for Linux is OSS mode, and the developer(s) are independently producing it.

.. Linux will expand by drawing other mainstream software developers
If by mainstream, you mean commercial companies, such as Adobe(CS suite) or Intuit (Quickbooks) or Autocad or others, I doubt any Linux packaging popularity will make any difference to them

However, a particular Linux distribution's popularity or buzz does get noticed, so that might explain the preferential treatment of Ubuntu
--not that .rpm or source files are missing from all web sites, it depends on where you fish

Return to “Chat about Linux”