Kernel upgrade

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
WoodCAT
Level 1
Level 1

Kernel upgrade

Post by WoodCAT »

Hi!
What is the easiest way to upgrade LMDE kernel :?: I'm using a SSD and I would like to take advantage of TRIM function in 2.6.35.x

Thanks

PS. LMDE, great release btw
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Kernel upgrade

Post by vrkalak »

The easiest way to upgrade the Kernel in Debian is by installing the Liquorix Kernel.

http://liquorix.net/

Just follow instructions on this link.
Add the Liquorix repro to your sources.list -- then, sudo apt-get update.
Add the Liquorix key-ring
Then, go into the Synaptic Manager and install the newest version of the Kernel.

This kernel is made specifically for Debian and is patched/updated regularly.

The current stable release of the Linux Kernel is: 2.6.35.2 <you might, go with the 'stable' kernel

In my Debian/Xfce OS, I am using Liquorix Kernel 2.6.36 . . . with no problems.

I have also, found this thread most helpful >> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... nel+how+to
mikhou

Post by mikhou »

I'm running liquorix 2.6.35-5 and it runs VERY well. I've also thrown XFCE on top of LMDE, and it also runs very well. Just FYI.

mikhou
WoodCAT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WoodCAT »

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
-----
WoodCAT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WoodCAT »

Well,I did try the Liquorix Kernel. I got the trim I guess and few things work better. Conky starts every boot now, firefox does not freeze the whole system solid, but the screen stays black when coming out of suspend and there is no video in skype :?

I tried kernel 2.6.35-6.dmz.2-liquorix-686 (2.6.35-16)
and the kernel 2.6.35-6.dmz.3-liquorix-686 (2.6.35-17)
How does 2.6.35-6 relate to latest stable 2.6.35.7 I'm not sure. Maybe this should be in newbie section :oops:
Does 2.6.35-6 mean 2.6.35.6?

vrkalak suggested 2.6.35.2, where can I find that one?

Thanks again
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

mikhou wrote:I'm running liquorix 2.6.35-5 and it runs VERY well. I've also thrown XFCE on top of LMDE, and it also runs very well. Just FYI.

mikhou
I'm also running 2.6.35-5 and it works great. I tried the 2.6.35-6 and it didn't work well for me.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

tdockery97 wrote:
mikhou wrote:I'm running liquorix 2.6.35-5 and it runs VERY well. I've also thrown XFCE on top of LMDE, and it also runs very well. Just FYI.

mikhou
I'm also running 2.6.35-5 and it works great. I tried the 2.6.35-6 and it didn't work well for me.
If you have any issue with the liquorix kernel please post at http://techpatterns.com/forums/forum-34.html or let damentz know in the #smxi irc channel on irc.debian.org

No problems with 2.6.35-6 here.

Host craigevil Kernel 2.6.35-6.dmz.3-liquorix-686 i686 (32 bit) Distro Debian GNU/Linux squeeze/sid
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

I've tried on two occasions to install the Liquorix kernel. Everything seems to go well with everything, but it refuses to 'see' my wired Internet connection.

I've checked Network Settings against what I see when running the 2.6.35.2 kernel and everything looks the same, but I'm obviously missing something. Mint can be a mixed blessing, because it's rare I've found anything that doesn't work as advertised. But when I've never had to coax a machine online before, I've certainly not learned the ins and outs of having to do it.

If someone wouldn't mind teaching this old dog a new trick or two, I would be grateful. It's certainly not a pressing matter, as things work great with the 2.6.35.2 kernel.
WoodCAT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WoodCAT »

Hi Mike54, if you don't mind, how and where did you get 2.6.35.2 kernel?
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

See vrkalak's post in this thread.
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

I m using the default 2.6.32-5 kernel.
An upgrade to 2.6.35 is gonna make any real difference?
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

The Liquorix kernel 2.6.35 can be found here >> http://liquorix.net
The Liquorix Devs have taken a vanilla Linux Kernel and changed/added some Debian specific patches.

The Official Linux Kernel 2.6.35 can be found here >> http://kernel.org

You might try reading the 2.6.35 Kernel "Release Notes" >
http://lwn.net/Articles/398371/
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Linux-Ke ... 0080.shtml
https://ieee1394.wiki.kernel.org/index. ... ease_Notes
These links will describe in detail the changes, advantages and 'bugs' of a kernel release.

I also, subscribe to the Kernel Mailinglist.
There is also, a Liquorix Kernel Forum >> http://techpatterns.com/forums/
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

$ uname -a
Linux craigevil 2.6.35-6.dmz.4-liquorix-686 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Sat Oct 16 08:10:57 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

Works well. While I has issues with 2.6.35-6-dmz.3, number keys didn't work, and apps in X ran a bit slow.

The liquorix kernel does get updated often, so if you do not want to deal with frequent updates stick with either the Mint kernel or the Debian kernel.

damentz rocks when it comes to fixing bugs, just let him know in the irc channel or h2's forum.
WoodCAT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WoodCAT »

re: Mike54, I've read vrkalak's post. That is how I got the Liquorix kernel installed. It just not working very well on my laptop (mainly suspend and Skype). That is why I like to learn how to install plain Debian kernel 2.6.33 or newer. I couldn't find it in testing or unstable Debian repos.
I also read trough the sticky on How to install latest ubuntu kernel 'the easy way' on Mint Main edition. Which I already used before to upgrade my desktop Mint machine.
I also visit the Kernel Archives, but it's all in tar packages and even thou I've been using Linux full time since Mint 3.0, I'm definitely not ready to do some kernel compiling :roll:

Thanks for your help guys
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

WoodCAT wrote:re: Mike54, I've read vrkalak's post. That is how I got the Liquorix kernel installed. It just not working very well on my laptop (mainly suspend and Skype). That is why I like to learn how to install plain Debian kernel 2.6.33 or newer. I couldn't find it in testing or unstable Debian repos.
I also read trough the sticky on How to install latest ubuntu kernel 'the easy way' on Mint Main edition. Which I already used before to upgrade my desktop Mint machine.
I also visit the Kernel Archives, but it's all in tar packages and even thou I've been using Linux full time since Mint 3.0, I'm definitely not ready to do some kernel compiling :roll:

Thanks for your help guys
Debian tends to stick with even number kernels, I assume because they are LTS kernels. Which is why Squeeze will release with 2.6.32 instead of 2.6.35. Even sid only has 2.6.32 kernel.

You can get the 2.6.36-rc from experimental.
linux-image-2.6.36-rc6-686 - Linux 2.6.36-rc6 for modern PCs
linux-image-2.6.36-rc6-amd64 - Linux 2.6.36-rc6 for 64-bit PCs

You can also get it from the liquorix repo by adding "future" to the liquorix repo in your sources.list.
So it looks like deb http://liquorix.net/debian/ sid main future

Try posting at http://techpatterns.com/forums/forum-34.html or pop in the irc channel #smxi on irc.debian.org. damentz tweaks the heck out of the liquorix kernel, if there is a bug let him know and he will fix it as quick as possible.
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by h2-1 »

Mike54: if you have a specific issue with networking failing on kernel x but working on kernel y from liquorix, then make sure to tell damentz, otherwise how is he supposed to know that something broke?

Nobody can test this stuff on everything, that's what people like you have to do, and without a bug report to damentz/liquorix, how can he know?

Make sure always to post: inxi -N
for networking issues so he knows exactly what chip we're talking about, and which driver is being used.

Woodcat, when posting issues with suspend/resume, make sure to also post what video driver/card you are using, otherwise it's impossible to diagnose, also if it's a laptop or not.

Some kernels have had resume issues, I've seen that too, with the liquorix series, but I think he's gotten that more stable by not using the bfs stuff.

Also, in smxi's advanced kernel install,. there's the latest liquorix kernel for each major version, like 2.6.34, 2.6.33 and so on, so you can try them and see if one works, it's easy and not a big deal.

You do NOT repeat NOT need to update a kernel if your current kernel is working, in fact, if your current kernel is all working and fine, don't change it, and I promise you one thing: nothing kernel related will change. This simple fact seems to be hard for people to understand, new kernels are NOT by definition better kernels,. they are just new. To make this clear, what I have found in my experience with lots of users, lots of hardware, there several possible outcomes of using a new kernel:
  • Something that was working breaks. The kernel guys use this cute term: regression to indicate this is what happened.
  • Something that wasn't working now works
  • Some core feature works better than before, like say USB transfer speed
  • Somethings get better and some things stopped working because of a regression
  • Nothing changes at all, zero gain, zero loss.
  • A security hole was fixed and nothing else changed.
  • A security hole was fixed, causing a regression that breaks some hardware support
Keep in mind that the majority of security patches are only required for specific situations, and will in fact often do zero to actually improve your security, many are local exploits, etc.

To summarize, if you install a new kernel, keep the old one where things all worked, always. If the new one works, keep the old one because you might find something that doesn't work later. If you have not found anything, and you then install a newer one, you can dump the old one. smxi has a complete kernel remover in the cleanup section, makes it easy.

At some point I'll add in a flag to start smxi with that will start safe sections of the script in X mode, cleanup is safe for example. As is kernel install.
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by h2-1 »

Decided why not, so added a new smxi option: -G

this lets you run the main option selector in gui/x mode, that runs after the kernel install/upgrade sections.

As far as I can tell, the only unsafe or non viable option for X is gfx install, and since often an upgrade will upgrade X, or the desktop, it's best to for now leave those switched off if smxi is running in X.

To get this, you have to update smxi first: smxi -U
then you can run smxi -G in your console/terminal.

In the context of this thread, it means you can install new kernels etc in X if you want, but remember, if you use non free graphics drivers, you have to install those out of X for them to work on the new kernel, unless you use nvidia, then you can run this: sgfxi -! 40
and that will just build the module for the new kernel as well as any other kernel you have installed, that one you can do in X, provided you already have the nvidia kernel installed via sgfxi already, and that it's current one. If it's not current default, you have to use the -o <driver number> option as well, like: sgfxi -! 40 -o 195.31.12
and it will build that module instead, assuming you installed it via sgfxi in the first place.
WoodCAT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WoodCAT »

smxi? Never heard that before, until you brought it up. Great, I have feeling that this is gonna be uphill battle. :lol:

Regarding the suspend issue. It's happening on ThinkPad T510 with nvidia NVS 3100M using nouveau driver. It goes to suspend fine and comes out of it too but without any video, just black screen. If I press the power button I can hear Mint shuting down properly.
One thing I noticed is the fact that during boot the first message is " [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: couldn't find matching output script table "

But anyway. I leaving it for now. :( I just don't have the time right now. Plus I miss Cruchbang. I'm gonna put it back on my laptop and the desktop machine probable gets LMDE or Mint10.

Thank you for your help again.

Now. smxi ... :arrow:
deleted

Post by deleted »

SMXI http://smxi.org/. It's a script for Debian (not Ubuntu) administration.
That being said, I've never had a problem updating the kernel, in Mint (non LMDE) through synaptic.
-Hinto
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

Okay, i have done my homework (thanks vrkalak for the links) and i installed liquorix 2.6.35.-7 (from liquorix.net) a few days ago. Till now, it runs smoothly . :D

Two things i noticed:
i) with the default kernel, every time i shut down the laptop, it was making a strange noise (not system sound): duration 1-2 seconds, something like a false bip or a creak. With the new kernel, the shut down process is "silent"
ii) with the new kernel, cairo's battery-applet finally works.

So, i m hoping to stick with that kernel. But if an update is available and i decide to try it, the 2.6.35-7 will remain in the system (like mint's default) or it will be removed?

Return to “LMDE Archive”