Lubuntu 10.10

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
capt

Lubuntu 10.10

Post by capt »

I've been very impressed with the new lxde release. Chromium is working great and Midori has not crashed either, both are fast and I'm not sure witch I like best? The mint version should great!

capt :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
m4daredsun

Re: Lubuntu 10.10

Post by m4daredsun »

Just for my curiosity: how much RAM does it use after a cold boot?

Lubuntu 10.04 did perform very well (Mint 9 LXDE is great for this!)
capt

Post by capt »

Task Manager

memory - 83MB
CPU usage - 1% - 2%

I believe the memory was in the high 70's when I installed, I've changed wallpaper and themes added programs etc. This is on a old Dell P3 laptop.
Suo_Eno

Post by Suo_Eno »

capt wrote:I've been very impressed with the new lxde release. Chromium is working great and Midori has not crashed either, both are fast and I'm not sure witch I like best? The mint version should great!

capt :mrgreen:
**DISCLAIMER:- I'm a Lin noob.While I'm fully aware that it's probably possible to further finetune Lubuntu to work the way I want it to,I'm struggling to find time to learn more.This is just my OOTB experience so bear with me**

Unfortunately for me it didn't went very well until I've settled on Mint 9 LXDE and happy to report I'm grateful with it on this old Dell Inspiron 6000.I went back and forth and clean installed TWICE.These quirks in Lubuntu:-
~ The 1st attempt for both Lubuntu and Mint was done while leaving the Win 7 x86 Ultimate partitions intact.Mint left the grub bootloader alone while (at the time) Lubuntu's kernel update forced me to bootrec the Win 7 back every time.Having considered the options I decided that it's best I junked Win 7 and go full Mint install.

~ ctrl + alt + del = task manager in Lubuntu wasn't really what I expected.Mint's combo of this works better imo.

~ for some odd reason system-config-samba in Lubuntu gave me a longer runaround?Not the case in Mint.It's good enough that my other 2 Win 7 rigs can see this lappy,that's all I need from Samba right now.

~ even weirder still Lubuntu doesn't seem to allow me to add desktop icons.

~ OVERALL boot,shutdown and general apps' performance on Mint are noticeably and significantly faster than Lubuntu.Perhaps it's due to Mint's current Lucid base,Mint's way of derivative "optimized spinning" and Lubuntu's 10.10 underpinnings?I'm not sure.I've read around and lots of experts are pointing out that 10.10's a bit slower than 10.04 on benchies?Since I'm barely a week past of this Linux flirting (yup I'm a Lin noob obviously ::waves to all Mint gurus and longtime users::) hell I'm not even sure if I'm asking the accurate question here.

In conclusion I'm seeing Lubuntu feels more urrmmm..BETA-ish than Mint?For Mint 10 LXDE I don't know probably you guys,devs and experts have already identified the issues so...Seriously Mint 9 LXDE are way up there rather than Lubuntu.At least for me though.If anyone else can actually beg to differ hey good for you then.
capt

Post by capt »

" even weirder still Lubuntu doesn't seem to allow me to add desktop icons"

Thats easy, just right click on name of program and select add to desktop.

capt
Suo_Eno

Post by Suo_Eno »

@capt
Yup that I did.The action however gave me mixed results (sorry should have been more clear at prev post),not all icons I intended to.
m4daredsun

Post by m4daredsun »

Suo_Eno: from personal experience, Linux Mint LXDE 8 and 9 are way better than their Lubuntu counterparts.

Mint LXDE is simply great
A great distribution with a great desktop
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Suo_Eno

Post by Suo_Eno »

@m4daredsun
Yup that's what I meant and it's Mint 9 LXDE I'm running on this oldie goldie lappy.While we're on the subject...I don't know? Is it because of that Lubuntu are still a "stepchild" derivative? It kinda feels that way.

Return to “Chat about Linux”