Ubuntu 10:10 released today - What News of Mint 10?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Ubuntu 10:10 released today - What News of Mint 10?

Post by grizwald »

I guess the title says it all. I haven't been able to find anything about mint 10 using the search feature, nor any title anywhere on the subject.

I guess there WILL be a new version released sometime next month. Soooo what will it be called and what new 'goodies' are we likely to find?

Thanks,

Grizwald.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Ubuntu 10:10 released today - What News of Mint 10?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

The Ubuntu 10.10 release is only the Release Candidate, not the final release, which will be out in the next 2-3 weeks.

As always, Mint will follow the final Ubuntu release by several weeks. Mint has no fixed release date, it will be released when the development and testing team is satisfied with the quality of the system. You can keep track of testing progress on the Mint Community Website.
vincent

Post by vincent »

Aging Technogeek wrote:The Ubuntu 10.10 release is only the Release Candidate, not the final release, which will be out in the next 2-3 weeks.

As always, Mint will follow the final Ubuntu release by several weeks. Mint has no fixed release date, it will be released when the development and testing team is satisfied with the quality of the system. You can keep track of testing progress on the Mint Community Website.
Nope, the final release of Ubuntu 10.10 is already out. ;) (And if you don't believe me, check https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickReleaseSchedule, or just go to Ubuntu's front page.)
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

ubuntu 10.10 release candidate came out Sept 30th...Today's release (Oct 10th) is the Final Edition....
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

Any significant difference from Ubuntu 10.04?
Leit

Post by Leit »

alpha1 wrote:Any significant difference from Ubuntu 10.04?
  • A new Installer
  • A Ubuntu special font (which is realy ugly i think)
  • A new Software Center
  • A new DE for Notebooks
  • HAL is finaly outsourced
  • Better Ubuntu One integration
that should be all important... im still waiting for Fedora 14 release :D
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Leit wrote:
  • A Ubuntu special font (which is realy ugly i think)
It would take some getting used to I think. Not my cup of tea either but I'm sure many will like it.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

It's not bad...(I'm running Kubuntu 10.10 right now) but it's only defaulted on the general systems stuff and optional on your web browsers..
i use Chromium for surfing and the microsoft fonts and they look great, so i won't be changing the font settings to the ubuntu ones...the default ones on Chromium look fine...Don't mind the ubuntu fonts on the general stuff though..that's fine...it's a bit different but not bad...
awong
Level 2
Level 2

Post by awong »

Mint 10 Release Candidates in x86 and x64 Gnome CD flavours already available in the mirror sites under the testing directory.

For example:
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/testing/
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

What a bold change, love the Mint-X appearance customizations; I work in a low light env, and they've included a Mint-X Dark icon set for me too ! Love the new installer, encryption for the paranoid too ! 8)

I'm not a gnome user, but I must say that this is the nicest, cleanest Mint RC since Elyssa.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Mint 10 Julia is a cool lady. The new theme is much nicer than all green. The installer is extremely well modernized in comparison to the old installer. I've already wiped Isadora and put Julia in her place. The biggest plus for me is that Mint 10 allows me to suspend my laptop, whereas suspend would never work in Mint 9. It just keeps getting better. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Should be soon :D <a week>
hopefully, this one, - will be "the one"
& I'll finally get the urge to move from Gloria - LM7 :)
But - that old lady, is pretty useful ....
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Eucalyptus

Post by Eucalyptus »

Ubuntu 10.10 is a sh!tty release. I struggled since 3 days to get it working. The computer still freezes randomly. There were are chain of too many errors there is no way this could be qualified a release:
- USB Startup key failed to boot
- Alternate CD offers a no-internet connection option but when there is no internet, the updater refused to continue.
- Fresh install: the Installer is extremely slow. It took 5 to 6 hours to install and crashed at the end.
- It is hardware dependent (nVidia chipset nForce 7300), when installed on another computer with different hardware, it installed OK. Re-transplant the hard drive back on the computer having the nVidia chipset, it boots but shows totally erratic behavior. Either extremely slow or hang up randomly.
- Worse yet, reverting back to the previous version Lucid is not working either. The 10.04.1 download is affected by the SAME issue.

There are full of people having similar bad experience. It is totally inacceptable that such a wide spread bug could get past QA. I was already quite irritate by the change of the window buttons to the left. Now with this critical issue, I am fed up for good. Starting today, Ubuntu has officially lost a customer. I am going to give the Mint 10 RC a try and when LMDE is available in 64 bits, I will switch for good.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I think you'll like Mint 10rc. It's what Ubuntu 10.10 should have been as a final release. I guess that's why Clem waits a month or two after Ubuntu's release. :wink:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
krauser

Post by krauser »

Julia rocks, but I am still waiting for the KDE version.
khan

Post by khan »

I also am very impressed with the look and feel of Mint 10. The installer is very well done, and anyone can get that going. The new Metallic theme is very nice, and it's a nice interesting twist to the original green theme. To me it seems a little more sleek and upscale than any of the other Ubuntu based distro's out there.

As always good work to the Mint team for bringing us yet another wonderful edition of Mint.
linuxdad

Upgraded to Julia via mod of sources.list :)

Post by linuxdad »

I just upgrade to Julia by changing the names in my /etc/apt/sources.list the upgrade went pretty well as we still are at RC level.

1. Took a couple of times to get a clean upgrade and dist-upgrade to fly.
2. Had to reinstall flashplayer-nonfree.
3. Had to reinstall bcmwl-kernel-source and modprobe b43 to get my wifi back up.

All in all normal issues with an RC, all looks great - LOVE IT!
erku

Post by erku »

I do not understand what....
I download: "linuxmint-10-gnome-rc-amd64.iso", and I have a one computer with different hard drives, such as IDE and SATA.

Install: basic disk (shows: necessary drive /sda; install bootloader /sda),restart, error message: "grub-xputs" not found;
new install; (shows: necessary drive /sda; install bootloader /sda1),restart, error message: "grub-xputs" not found;
new install; (shows: necessary drive /sda; install bootloader /sda),restart, YES, it works!

Start-up window; Message Text: Upgrade to DVD, ok, (twice) load files, error, can not be read....?
Update LinuxMint, ok, it works.
Start-up window; Message Text: Upgrade to DVD, ok, it works too.

Login as root; Control center:
Language Packs: it download the necessary language packs, but everything is wrong, such as letters öäõü does not exist, is it "????".
Users and Groups, there is not for root user, the screen stays gray.
I can not find anywhere disk util, whether or format the memory stick.

File Sharing; is not necessary for packaging included.
Download software for Software manager; some software can not download, is not necessary for packaging included, Window busy or just quits.
AWN shows menu wrong, perhaps the text is unreadable (Awn System monitor 0.4.1)
Infinite sequence, etc.

What then is the result. Not necessary for packaging included. If download .iso 692,5MB and burn to DVD, then 4007,5MB not uset, But why?
If you upgrade to DVD version, anyway not necessary for packaging included, But why?

LinuxMint 9 so no major problems not have.

If things get better, it is well; if like that, then it is bad.
Leit

Post by Leit »

RC = Release Candidat = Beta = Find Bugs and announce them to the Mint-Team so that they can fix them...
and hey.. I even can install the Mint RC... the ubuntu RC ###### off my whole system.

~ Leit

Edited by exploder for language
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Leit, sorry, family forum. I edited your post to comply with the forum rules and I did not want to make a big deal out of it. :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”