Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Post by marcus0263 »

MMM I was about to give it a spin but googling around I find there's a major issue with Nvidia cards. Anyone with a newer Nvidia run into this Ubuntu bug?
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
alligoodw

Post by alligoodw »

I did a clean install on a Asus Aspire 7741Z-5731 laptop. I couldn't get past the screen where one would put the password. I would type my password and the first three characters would appear and then nothing . . . no more characters appeared in the password area. From there, the window just froze. I didn't have any difficulties with LM9.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I just finished my install and everything went without a hitch. No problems with wireless or nvidia-current activation. It is typical mint elegance. Clem and the guys do such great work.

Robin
cudayne

Post by cudayne »

I have nvidia vid card works like a charm.

It is an amazing version it booted up faster then mint 9 on both the live dvd an after instillation.

The desktop is super crisp clear an solid. I don't know what changed but the desktop seems more vibrant an crisp then 9 was. I am simply amazed am installing it on the kids box as I type this. I love the instillation of extra software I use almost daily like sun Java. I think this is a solid work defnitly worth looking at if you are using mint 9.
toon81

Post by toon81 »

Am trying out the RC for LM10 now. I'm impressed so I'd like to install it. However, I'd really like the final version, once it comes out. Since this is a RC, there are obviously no major bugs left. Would I be right in assuming that once the final version is out, I can upgrade to a de facto installation of it, simply by installing the available updates at that time from the menus? The reason is, I don't mind installing a new OS, but I'd rather be a little patient than installing two new OSes.

Thanks, btw Clement and the rest of the team for a great distro. :D
alligoodw

Post by alligoodw »

alligoodw wrote:I did a clean install on a Asus Aspire 7741Z-5731 laptop. I couldn't get past the screen where one would put the password. I would type my password and the first three characters would appear and then nothing . . . no more characters appeared in the password area. From there, the window just froze. I didn't have any difficulties with LM9.
I reinstalled Linux Mint 10 a second time. This time I turned off the mouse pad on my laptop and the installation went without a hitch. I believe when I entered the original password during the first installation attempt, the mouse pad was on and I inadvertently added additional characters that should not have been there. At any rate, things are going well and I'm very pleased with this edition.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

toon81,

If you install the RC and keep up with the updates, you will have effectively the same OS as if you waited and installed the final release version. I always do it this way and later, download a copy of the final release just to have it on file.
toon81

Post by toon81 »

Thanks, O Aging One. Just the info I needed! :D
The Alpha Gamer

Post by The Alpha Gamer »

Aging Technogeek wrote:toon81,

If you install the RC and keep up with the updates, you will have effectively the same OS as if you waited and installed the final release version. I always do it this way and later, download a copy of the final release just to have it on file.
Is that the updates from MintUpdate? *Runs off to grab a disk*
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

cudayne wrote:I have nvidia vid card works like a charm.

It is an amazing version it booted up faster then mint 9 on both the live dvd an after instillation.

The desktop is super crisp clear an solid. I don't know what changed but the desktop seems more vibrant an crisp then 9 was. I am simply amazed am installing it on the kids box as I type this. I love the instillation of extra software I use almost daily like sun Java. I think this is a solid work defnitly worth looking at if you are using mint 9.
That's good to hear about the Nvidia, I'll go and install it on my main rig at home tonight then. I did pop it into a VM with VMware and really loved what I saw.

Thanx for the heads up.
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
lanrun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lanrun »

Is it possible to upgrade from Mint 9 to Mint 10 RC?
VDSA

Post by VDSA »

I might actually go into university early this morning just so I can download this :shock: early mornings

but it's worth it :mrgreen:
The Alpha Gamer

Post by The Alpha Gamer »

Burnt it to two different disks and neither get recognised when i put them back in. Not a good start.
jacek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jacek »

I love it. The default desktop looks so professional. I use it even that I'm a KDE's guy. Don't change anything! :D
Dracirate

Post by Dracirate »

Looks great I hope you guys change the Notify OSD position :D
Smiff2

Post by Smiff2 »

couple of points, been using Mint since 7 and now seriously unsure whether to use it for my big rollout or to go with SuperOS

1) as said above, please fix notify position. you've moved the menu so you must move the notification also. otherwise user looking in wrong corner. basic usability problem and i believe now a config option?
2) changing icons is imho a big mistake. users are familiar with the icons from e.g. firefox from other systems
3) mint's firefox customisations are (still) annoying, sorry. people don't want to visit your site after installation. use the basic firefox start page or ubuntu page or whatever, and don't add extensions unless they are useful ones like Adblock..
4) look at what SuperOS has done - more useful features for actual users like other browsers.
5) small point, but no Mint9 theme included?

probably too late now to change these things, was there no beta release?
big fan of Mint7 and 9 so don't take this the wrong way. this is the first time i've started a new Mint release (not final i know but presumably close) and felt it might be a step backwards sorry :/
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Smiff2 wrote:2) changing icons is imho a big mistake. users are familiar with the icons from e.g. firefox from other systems
They can't keep the same icons forever. The new ones have a more modern appearance and complement the GTK theme change pretty well. However, the panel icons leave a bit to be desired. Some are monochrome and some are coloured, which is inconsistent. Ubuntu uses all monochrome where possible, and LM9 and older use all coloured.
Smiff2 wrote:3) mint's firefox customisations are (still) annoying, sorry. people don't want to visit your site after installation. use the basic firefox start page or ubuntu page or whatever, and don't add extensions unless they are useful ones like Adblock..
Those modifications fund the distro. Funding the Firefox and Ubuntu projects doesn't help Clem all that much. Perhaps it's time that start page got a spruce up though.

Also, quite a lot of reviewers would complain about an ad blocker being installed by default. :P
Smiff2 wrote:5) small point, but no Mint9 theme included?
thisweekinlinux did a quick rundown of LM10 and noted this omission as well. I assume disk space was tight.
Smiff2 wrote:was there no beta release?
Clem doesn't do beta releases.
Smiff2

Post by Smiff2 »

thanks for the intelligent replies, and yes i wasnt thinking of the funding. could you (they) try to make the mint search results less offensive; it is not a good first impression when opening (the only included) browser!

yes i was going to go on about the icon colour problems but probably easier to just change it, there's too many negatives to list. again, a bad first impression imho. all grayscale on shutdown panel could literally lead to unintended shutdown - about as bad a ui change as you can get. use colour to increase clarity, it is not an art project.

all this adds up to a problem when the main reason to go with mint over say ubuntu was its looks/default settings. i'll be spending as long fixing mint and may as well start from superos which at least isnt creating problems (other than wine - a bad idea for security imho). maybe i'm just in a bad mood, but i don't think so.

i know i should be using mint9 LTS for a rollout now anyway but need .35 kernel for hardware support.
Last edited by Smiff2 on Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rhY

Post by rhY »

BLEW MY MIND. Literally the best looking, cleanest, fastest, most solid OS I have seen EVER on any hardware.

Completely blown away.

Other than not including VLC as the default video player, I literally cannot think of an improvement. It is mind-numbingly good. Microsoft and Apple should be absolutely ******** themselves. I already switched half my clients over to Mint and Gmail from Windows and Outlook. The other half are already jealous. Now they're going to jump ship too.

PHENOMENAL. Thank you for your work.

What gives on VLC? It's OBVIOUSLY about 100x any other video player in every way. Is it stupid **** countries like the US slowing it's implementation due to some codec bull?
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

VLC comes with libdvdcss I think which is questionably legal. It's certainly better than Totem though.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”