linux Mint Debian - Install Will Not Create a Partition Boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DWade
Level 1
Level 1

linux Mint Debian - Install Will Not Create a Partition Boot

Post by DWade »

:D I went to install Linux Minut Debian into a partition on my hard drive.

I use Partition Commander or System commander to boot my operation systems. I have three.

So, I want to put my Linux grub boot into the partition, and not as the MBR, but Linux Debian did not give that option... In the install.
The advanced function only allowed the MBR to be put on either sda or sdb, and not sda2 or sdb3.

:( For some reason the ability to put in a partition boot is not available. Can fix? :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: linux Mint Debian - Install Will Not Create a Partition

Post by oobetimer »

DWade wrote::D I went to install Linux Minut Debian into a partition on my hard drive.

I use Partition Commander or System commander to boot my operation systems. I have three.

So, I want to put my Linux grub boot into the partition, and not as the MBR, but Linux Debian did not give that option... In the install.
The advanced function only allowed the MBR to be put on either sda or sdb, and not sda2 or sdb3.

:( For some reason the ability to put in a partition boot is not available. Can fix? :?:
Don't install grub at all, install LILO afterwards ==> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 38#p330524

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... lo#p324834

For example LILO-install to partition /dev/sda5

sudo lilo -b /dev/sda5
StanTheMan

Re: linux Mint Debian - Install Will Not Create a Partition

Post by StanTheMan »

The LMDE installer at partitioning window, if you UNCHECK the box to write the MBR , then no /boot/grub/grub.cfg file will be created.
If you already has a grub2 bootloader , an ' update-grub ' command will add LMDE . But if you have another bootloader that does not have ext4 capabilities, it willnot likely recogniuze MDE .

Return to “Installation & Boot”