Jupiter OS; DEBIAN ROLLING....

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
specmod0

Jupiter OS; DEBIAN ROLLING....

Post by specmod0 »

Looks like mint may have competition! http://www.webupd8.org/2010/10/manhatta ... er-os.html

Better get working on the next snap shot........... :wink: :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deleted

Re: Jupiter OS; DEBIAN ROLLING....

Post by deleted »

Competition is always good.
-H
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

While I sure as heck do not want to see one centralized Linux OS, a lot of the distros create chaos not competition. Every few days there is an article about some new distro, and a week, a month or several later it fades away.

I mean come on there are only a few big distros that the rest are all based on, Red Hat, Madriva, Suse, Debian, Slackware, Gentoo.

Other than the big 5 anything else is just a derivative that wastes manpower. Take Debian for example, 25k packages with less than 1000 active devs, some packages only have 1 maintainer. When that person moves on the package gets orphaned and unless someone else picks it up it gets removed from the repos.

Rather than starting a million and one distros find one that has something to offer that you like and volunteer your time there.
deleted

Post by deleted »

...but it takes just one distro to get someone to make the leap. Usually if the distro fades, the user will find another that suits the user's needs. It's hard to put the shackles back on, after they've been removed. ;)
-Hinto
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Sounds great...take all the Ubuntu goodies that work so well and port them to Debian...Wait a minute! That's LMDE. :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

tdockery97 wrote:Sounds great...take all the Ubuntu goodies that work so well and port them to Debian...Wait a minute! That's LMDE. :lol:
You mean Ubuntu actually has some thing works?

Can't tell that from all the posts around the net complaining about it.

Personally I haven't touched it since Ubuntu 4.10 (Warty Warthog) that came out in October 2004.

I had just installed Debian for the first time in Feb 2004 , still using the same install, had to upgrade cpu, ram, video card, crazy HD is still going strong. Gotta love apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

Also had a Kanotix Bug Hunter install that was converted to sidux when it came out thanks to h2's nifty script.*sniff* that install lasted until the motherboard on that PC decided to give up the ghost in 2008, darn thing was almost 4 years old just a baby. Can't complain only paid $140 back then for mb/cpu/ram and Nvidia 5200 video card.

Back on topic other than speed of install and a few packages here and there, and maybe the kernel there really isn't much difference between Debian and the children. Debian lives on and the tiny children fall by the road side to fade away like dust in the wind.
specmod0

Post by specmod0 »

ubuntu never fixes there bugs..... they have programs or features that should have been ported to Debian a long time ago......

are we gonna get the mint 10 theme? :shock: I am not installing ubuntu ever again....
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

The theme you want is probably in the romeo section of the repository.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

craigevil wrote:
tdockery97 wrote:Sounds great...take all the Ubuntu goodies that work so well and port them to Debian...Wait a minute! That's LMDE. :lol:
You mean Ubuntu actually has some thing works?
I think I meant to say Mint goodies. Doh, now I'm confused. :oops:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
misGnomer

Post by misGnomer »

specmod0 wrote:Looks like mint may have competition! http://www.webupd8.org/2010/10/manhatta ... er-os.html
At the end of that story: "For news about Jupiter OS, see its Facebook page."

Uhh... :roll:

OK, the dev(s) haven't even got a preview out yet, but still...
flygon250

Post by flygon250 »

LMDE always had competition. the rival Distro is called MEPIS. OK, so MEPIS main is based off stable, so that isn't really competition because it doesn't roll by default, but the AntiX spinoff for older computers uses Debian Testing by default, so that is.competition, even if IceWM (or Fluxbox) + ROX isn't quite the same desktop experience as GNOME.

I'm actually using AntiX (with Sid repos and a Liquorix kernel) right now on my netbook due to its lightness, so I have no LMDE install at the present time, but I do like the direction LMDE is going and I will keep track of it and try to stay active here. I could still help with problems which originate from upstream (Debian), although the pre-installed software is vastly different and I don't want AntiX to bloat itself. I have only installed Chromium and gdm (miminal additional dependancies + not a fan of slim) so far as far as common packages go.
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

hrm so it's a debian version of that distro that added even more bloat to ubuntu? :mrgreen:

nah - just kidding. I'M sure it'll be fine but I don't think I'll try it - if I wanted all that stuff I'd have added it to lmde by now :)
kpmcdole

Post by kpmcdole »

Alright guys, no need to go bashing the distribution. I don't bash your distro, no need to bash my distro. That just sets things up to be negative, which can lead to problems down the road. Why not be friends?

Let us remember who our real competition is.

You also make it seem like things 'never' change. So if something happens once, the next time it's bound to be the same.

For those with the vote of confidence and words of encouragement, thank you!

~Kevin
azathoth

Post by azathoth »

I would almost have to agree with Craigevil in that there are entirely too many forks, forks of forks and respins of forks based on a fork of a respin of a fork lol. The Linux community could certainly use some solidarity! (it's probably all part of m$'s evil plan to keep the Linux communities fragmented. :shock: )

However, I think having such a wide array of choices in packaging is great and Linux is about choice and freedom. One possible advantage to our little clusterf*** is that as long as the communities remain in such a state of fragmentation and disarray, Linux will never gain a huge market share (which I personally believe is a very good thing) and subsequently be as much of a target of interest to m$ & co.'s legal ploys. - Sort of "flying under the radar" as it were.
So from a user standpoint it's not such a bad situation.

As far as Jupiter goes, might be a nice presentation to use and all, but my three babies keep me quite happy. If I do add anything it'll be another Arch setup or maybe Gentoo (portage sounds great, maybe even better than pacman.)
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

craigevil wrote:. . . there really isn't much difference between Debian and the children. Debian lives on and the tiny children fall by the road side to fade away like dust in the wind.
I agree with craigevil on this. I first installed Debian 5.0 from a net.install almost 2 years ago . . . have changed, updated/upgraded most everything, but have not had to re-install the OS.
My uptime is measured in weeks.

If all you want is a distro based on Debian 'testing' there must be about close to 10 of those.
Not including Ubuntu (as they are not compatible nor interchangeable with Debian)
Check with DistroWatch. Linux/Debian forked distros come and go.

We'll see how long Jupiter lasts . . . Mint is tried and true; one of the most popular Linux distributions.

What makes Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) special are the Mint specific applications and tools ... check the package list for the Mint repositories.
Otherwise, just go with a straight Debian 'testing' . . . that's what I did.

I do have LMDE on my new AAO Netbook. :mrgreen:
deleted

Post by deleted »

my uptime with sidux was months. The only time I rebooted was when I updated the kernel.
-H
_khAttAm_

Post by _khAttAm_ »

For those who love to bash Ubuntu:
The main problem of Linux is the user base. Those who build hardware or software need to justify their investments in making it compatible with Linux. Ubuntu has a large user base and when it adds up to the total Linux users, it makes a difference. Moreover, Ubuntu has taken specific efforts to make it an alternative to Windows or Mac and not just another Linux distribution. That is never a bad thing.

About Jupitor OS, if it serves in getting a few Windows or Mac users to use Linux (in other words, increasing the Linux user base), it cannot be bad. Thumbs up for the effort to Kevin.

I am a Ubuntu user and am trying to move to a Debian based rolling release with Gnome. Currently, Linux Mint Debian seems like a nice alternative. But I am trying to see how it is different from upgrading to next distribution of (my customized) Ubuntu when the first beta of the next is released. A community that is filled with hatred towards Ubuntu is not helping me at all to justify the change.
ShexNivis

Post by ShexNivis »

_khAttAm_ wrote: I am a Ubuntu user and am trying to move to a Debian based rolling release with Gnome. Currently, Linux Mint Debian seems like a nice alternative. But I am trying to see how it is different from upgrading to next distribution of (my customized) Ubuntu when the first beta of the next is released. A community that is filled with hatred towards Ubuntu is not helping me at all to justify the change.
I don't think people here hates ubuntu or anything like that. I just don't agree with some of their decisions and I guess a lot of people here don't.
I'm using lmde but before that was a happy user of mint standard edition and if ubuntu was really that bad none of us would be here.
azathoth

Post by azathoth »

You probably see more of the "hatred" thing in the Debian forums.(although the word "annoyance" is more accurate) The people here are super nice and very accepting.
The perceived "hatred" from the Debian community stems from radically different philosophies. Debian isn't especially worried about market share, they mainly just want to do Linux right and have a useful, well defined role in the Linux community. Their predominance is earned by their dev's hard work and amazing skill. If it wasn't for them, there would likely be no Ubuntu, Mint, Mepis and countless other forks, of which sum represents the vast majority of Linux users. Debian as a singular distro contributes heavily and consistently back to the Linux communtiy. And most of their forks at least try to contribute back as well. Ubuntu does not, they want to ride Debian's coattails, get the glory, pass the buck, etc, and that understandably annoys some. (Shuttleworth describes this as "standing on the shoulders of giants" lol)
Their attitudes toward noobs are very different. Ubuntu wants vast numbers of people using their distro who could barely handle Windows and they are also willing to spoon feed them. Debian does not and is not, and they believe that some people are better off using windows. Their attitude is probably more like Arch's, "if you want to do Linux you need to learn Linux", they expect a person to study for themselves and then, after a person has done all they can, they are very willing to help.
But anyway, these are but a couple of the bigger reasons for the antagonism between those two communities.
Last edited by azathoth on Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

There are a handful of people at the Debian forums as well as here who seem to enjoy taking any opportunity to bash Ubuntu, but it should be clear that quite a few people have found that Ubuntu works fine for them. I'm one of those who has no problem with Ubuntu; I've kept Debian, Mepis, Ubuntu, and Mint installed for some years now; I find pros and cons about each of them. On balance, it's difficult for me to choose a favorite, so that's one of the reasons I multi-boot. That way I can enjoy the things that each distro has to offer.

I'll wait awhile to see how Jupiter OS matures. Looks like it has a ways to go, especially if you have to go to Facebook to get news about it!

Return to “LMDE Archive”