Only 1 Workspace in LMDE?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
VtPoet
Level 3
Level 3

Only 1 Workspace in LMDE?

Post by VtPoet »

Working with LMDE. Compiz is up and running, but now I only have 1 workspace?

If I add the workspace switcher to the panel, I see four workspaces but clicking on any of them does nothing. Cntrl-Alt-Arrow-Key also does nothing. I don't know if the installation of compiz has anything to do with it? Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Only 1 Workspace in LMDE?

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here from Newbie Questions
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

I have exactly the same problem! :(
It seems like there is no desktop switcher at all. I mean, I can't find anywhere a place to reduce/increase the virtual desktops number (usually it's just right-click on the applet); but since I installed compiz there are no options. Even the AWM desktop switching applet is not working. :?: :?:
cecar

Post by cecar »

I have 4 Desktops and they are working. But i cant get rotating cube to work. Does nothing when i use the key kombos.
Bordee

Post by Bordee »

To get the virtual desktops working under Compiz, you need to open the Compiz Settings Manager (ccsm), go under general options, and on the right most tab, set the number of virtual workspaces. To get the cube to work, you need to set the workspaces horizontally in a 4 x 1 (vertical) manner. Do that, reenable the workplace switcher on the panel, and you should be able to move the cube and change workspaces by clicking.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

I've been experiencing the same problem - only one workspace in LMDE.
I tried CCSM>General Options>Desktop Size>Number of Desktops but compiz prevented me from changing the number - the up/down arrows are unresponsive and a number changed manually simply reverts to 1.
vincent

Post by vincent »

I think that the value that needs to be changed is "Horizontal Virtual Size" and not "Number of Desktops". For me, setting horizontal virtual size to "4" is enough to get me a working cube (with 4 desktops, of course).
cecar wrote:I have 4 Desktops and they are working. But i cant get rotating cube to work. Does nothing when i use the key kombos.
CCSM > Desktop > Rotate Cube > Bindings, and click "Rotate cube" to expand your keybindings options. If you don't see the Rotate cube plugin under Desktop, you may have to:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

oscar799 wrote:I've been experiencing the same problem - only one workspace in LMDE.
I tried CCSM>General Options>Desktop Size>Number of Desktops but compiz prevented me from changing the number - the up/down arrows are unresponsive and a number changed manually simply reverts to 1.
Same for me. And "Horizontal Virtual Size" was already at 4.
This is a big problem for my netbook, where I use (at least) a second virtual desktop a lot :cry:
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

I've found a way for it to work (sort of).

From http://www.pubbs.net/200909/debian/1137 ... ompiz.html
At last I found rotate plugin had to be enabled to get the desktop
switcher applet to work and this plugin wasn't enabled because I
didn't check "rotate cube" in ccsm.
That's true: if you enable the "Rotate cube" plugin (thus enabling the cube desktop), the workspace switcher starts working!

That's strange, however, because in Isadora these plugins are not needed for the switcher to work :?

Also, I can't change the number of desktops: it's stuck at 4.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

kanishka,
Thanks!
Tried that and it works
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

You're welcome! :mrgreen:
Next step: change the virtual desktop number. Any clues? :?:
JoeInMN

Post by JoeInMN »

Bumping this, as I also would like to use two workspaces instead of four, and can't find a way to change this setting. The right-click preferences dialog for the Workplace Switcher panel applet does not include this setting, and General Options in the CompizConfig manager keeps returning its Horizontal Virtual Size slider to 4 when I try to move it.

Thanks!
panzer

Post by panzer »

Same here. I would like to have two workspaces only. :?:
Vidar

Post by Vidar »

I join the choire. Only 2 workspaces needes, although 4 is definately better than 1 :)

Hope that someone figures this out. Otherwise LMDE is working like a dream!
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Right-click on the workspaces in the panel, select Preferences, and set the number you want.
Vidar

Post by Vidar »

sgosnell wrote:Right-click on the workspaces in the panel, select Preferences, and set the number you want.
That's just the problem: this doesn't work. Gnome panel workspace switcher applet has no such option (when I open its preferences) and compiz settings manager (ccm) won't let me change the number of desktops.
CCM general option -->desktop size tab. I can set the number of horizontal virtual desktops, but it always resets back to 4. Number of desktops slider can't be moved at all.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Hmmm... I've never done it that way, I don't think. I just right-click on the Workplace Switcher in the panel and select Preferences, set the number I want, and it works. That seems to override compiz settings.
hypoxic

Post by hypoxic »

seems like something is a bit wonky in the GUI options to control this, but this is how i got it to work:

-open control center
-click on CompizConfig Settings Manager
-enable Desktop Cube and Rotate Cube plugins
-click on General options and then choose Desktop Size tab
-select the value you want for workspaces by changing the Horizontal Virtual Size value (appears to not allow only 2, but 3,4, etc appear to work)

for me then the Workplaces Switcher panel app now works when you click on any of them, as does the Ctrl-Alt + left or right arrows. Ctrl-Alt + down arrow zooms out and shows a view of the previous, current and next workspace, and while Ctrl-Alt is held down allows navigation via the left and right arrows.

hth!
Vidar

Post by Vidar »

Yep, thats how you get 3-4 workspaces to work. But I was asking (a bit offtopic) on how to enable just 2 workspaces. But i see now that 3 actually works, so one step closer!
hypoxic

Post by hypoxic »

even weirder, if you choose a Vertical Virtual Size larger than 1 it will show in the Workplace Switcher panel. then you can actually move windows 'down' by choosing the option via the window menu (accessed via either a right click on the title bar or Alt-Space). the window will show in the lower workspace via the Workplace Switcher panel view, but it doesn't appear you can access it via the panel by clicking on it or using shortcut keys...

Return to “LMDE Archive”