Partitioning for Dual boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gip

Partitioning for Dual boot

Post by gip »

Hello,

after reading some posts about installing Mint on a machine with Windows I decided to ask for help.
Till now I used Mint 9 together with Winn xp. I partitioned my hdd for Mint like 17 gb ext 3 for instalation and swap 3gb.

Now, I have a hdd with Win xp and unalocated space 112 gb for Mint.
I want to partition that 112 gb unalocated space, but not sure what scheme to use.

I read some posts that suggest creating 20 gb ext4 for \ root (primary), 2-3 gb swap and 20-50 gb ext4 for data.

Also some posts suggest creation of a home partition.

Can you help me how to partition my unalocated space and what, where to install?

Thank you very much!

gip
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Partitioning for Dual boot

Post by caf4926 »

Ideally I would suggest

swap 2GB maybe more
/ (20GB) ext4
/home (all the remainder - unless you plan to try other distros too) ext4
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
gip

Post by gip »

Hello caf4926,

thank you for your advice.

As far as I understand you I will install Mint in /20 gb ext4.
/home partition I will create during the installation of mint by gparted I think as well as /20 gb for root and swap.

gip
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

No

swap 2-3 GB
root 20GB
/home 80+ GB or whatever is left after creating swap and root
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

How of RAM do u have ? If enough and you'd like to try other distros u can by VirtualBox.
Or you would like to create +/- 20-30 GB another partition(s) for later installation of other distros (as I did it so for testing purposes etc. :lol: )
k3lt01

Post by k3lt01 »

It is surprising how little space you actually need for a full install with some versions of Linux. This is how I do mine on a laptop with 256MB of RAM and a 250GB hdd.

hda
hda1 / Ubuntu Maverick 10GB (currently installed)
hda2 / Ubuntu Natty 10GB (currently installed)
hda4 SWAP 2GB (there is no need for anymore than 2GB of SWAP even on a machine with little RAM like mine if you are doing normal computing).
hda5 /home (take up the rest of the space. Both OSs, also future ones, use a common home but they have their own user name to show they are different).
gip

Post by gip »

Thank you very much to all of you for your help!

Return to “Installation & Boot”