Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
fragsrox
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Post by fragsrox »

Bluetooth keyboard on imac disabled .. had to resort to wired one to restore system from image .. hope some one can fix bluetooth keyboard on imac or in general.

Note if helps, im not using mighty mouse but logitech wireless.
doubled
Level 1
Level 1

Post by doubled »

rashkae wrote:At a minimum, making the bottom border a few pixels wide (as it was previously) at least makes it easy to grab a bottom corner of a window resize....
I also "vote" for this as an issue that makes it very difficult to resize a window. I like the minimalist look of Mint-X, but I have changed to WildMint so that I can grab the border without going back and forth about 6 times with the mouse in order to catch the border.

Aside from that, this 10RC is really terrific. Someone on Distrowatch has described it as "da bomb" -- intended as a compliment! The visuals are lovely, and, of course, Mint works. The only issue I've encountered is the lack of a "Windows Printer via SAMBA" line in the Printer Configuration. Solved it by using the "Upgrade to the DVD Edition" from the Welcome screen. Apparently that process installed a missing Samba component, as the line was there post-install.
groenator

Post by groenator »

I am running LM 10 RC and is working perfectly until now, the only problem I have is with Compiz but I assume the problem is because I am running from Virtual Box, I am planning to install it at home...
Easy friendly and good software...
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

rhY wrote:BLEW MY MIND. Literally the best looking, cleanest, fastest, most solid OS I have seen EVER on any hardware.

Completely blown away.

Other than not including VLC as the default video player, I literally cannot think of an improvement. It is mind-numbingly good. Microsoft and Apple should be absolutely ******** themselves. I already switched half my clients over to Mint and Gmail from Windows and Outlook. The other half are already jealous. Now they're going to jump ship too.

PHENOMENAL. Thank you for your work.

What gives on VLC? It's OBVIOUSLY about 100x any other video player in every way. Is it stupid **** countries like the US slowing it's implementation due to some codec bull?
@rhy and everyone else,

Check the lower left corner of the Mint Welcome screen and you'll see "Upgrade to DVD Edition"--click that. The DVD upgrade includes VLC among other programs and libraries. The LiveCD, which is currently the only download available for the RC, is intended for those with slow connections (that's one reason anyway) so certain programs and libraries were left out so everything could fit on a CD. Once Mint 10 is officially released I believe it will come in both a LiveCD version and a Live DVD version as well (correct me if I'm wrong of course).
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Smiff2 wrote:
BopNiblets wrote:When you click on the taskbar clock for the calendar, it appears halfway up the screen instead of down above the clock, anyone else have that?
yes, i meant to report that!

is this the place for actual bug reports, or is there somewhere better? is Clem reading this?
Seeing the same here. I don't recall seeing this problem when Mint 10 RC was first released. Something in one of the latest set of updates cause the regression perhaps?
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
linmint777

Post by linmint777 »

maybe testing later........
Smiff2

Post by Smiff2 »

"calender in wrong place" thing didn't happen 2nd time i booted mint on same machine.
res was 1440x900 btw

also, we're criticising the theme but i noticed the radiance/ambience themes in ubuntu also have a 1 pixel handle on some windows e.g. console. so it's not all Mint-X's fault!
rashkae

Post by rashkae »

Smiff2 wrote:"calender in wrong place" thing didn't happen 2nd time i booted mint on same machine.
res was 1440x900 btw

also, we're criticising the theme but i noticed the radiance/ambience themes in ubuntu also have a 1 pixel handle on some windows e.g. console. so it's not all Mint-X's fault!
Believe me, I've complained there as well. However, mint-x is based on Clearlooks-revamped, and making those thin borders even thinner (at the minium 1px) is a customization made by mint, so in this case, yes, it's all mint's fault.

And I understand the inclination. since having discovered the Alt-middle click shortcut to resizing windows, without borders, it's actually easier than ever to do so... However, there remains the very apparent (to me) issue of useability. Even experienced GUI users probably don't know that without asking Google. Borderless window themes should be a tweak for more experienced users to select, not a desktop system default.
candtalan

Post by candtalan »

Live CD installer bug
(polite bump)
I posted here earlier, and I am not sure if this is the appropriate place for this? Where should I post to get attention of the Devs of RC please? Being a bug in the Live CD installer, then if someone stumbles onto it as I did, they will get their drive trashed.
Bug #659106
Smiff2

Post by Smiff2 »

candtalan wrote:Live CD installer bug
(polite bump)
I posted here earlier, and I am not sure if this is the appropriate place for this? Where should I post to get attention of the Devs of RC please? Being a bug in the Live CD installer, then if someone stumbles onto it as I did, they will get their drive trashed.
Bug #659106
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-relea ... bug/659106

if carried into mint you could lose existing OS installs. that is.. really bad. beyond bad.
thanks for the warning since i would likely have hit this.
what other ways are there to install ubuntu/mint? maybe install to a separate drive and then clone that to the final partition you want?
i need to understand grub better since i'm not sure where grub itself has to reside (first partition? with linux root?)
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

Like it! However,...
...sometimes the liveCD boot stalls and have been unable to install it yet. Stalls occur especially on my 939, onboard graphics/shared memory with 512Mb total. Guessing, not enough mem? v9 didn't have this problem. Failure to install after successful boot was also on a machine with only 512. OK, so the go-faster kiddies want to slap in 4Gb with their over-kill quad cores, but one of the attractions of the penguin always was that we can abandon our WIntel lemming habits, stop landfill, save the planet. It would be very nice indeed if Mint could fully sign up to more minimalist ambitions and make 512Mb accessible. [256 would be even better].
deleted

Post by deleted »

I've installed it, no real big problems, except having to run jfs_fsck on my jfs formatted drives. I hope the theme issues get worked out. I thought I had dropped the "hard" button borders when I quit running Win95 (or WinXP's classic theme) ;)
-Hinto
O8h7w

Post by O8h7w »

Some people have reported they couldn't make bootable USB stick, so I felt needed to post my experience.

My first try didn't work, because of the mistake to point the Startup Disk Creator to the disk. Then I tried pointing it to the single partition on the disk, if I recall right it was formatted as ext4, and that worked as a charm.

I've installed it on my old T43, I installed the DVD version and now I'm just waiting for the updates... I like the way things look, but it seems somewhat big and clumsy on 1024x768 resolution. I need to find a more compact theme. Otherwise I'm happy :)

And, on the topic of themes, I saw in the thread with name suggestions for Mint 11 a wonderful idea of making a theme in honor of Husse. But Mint 11 seems quite far away... Is it too late for the theme makers to make it into the Mint 10 release?
qaz20

Post by qaz20 »

I just installed Mint 10 - 64 RC via mint4win and a virtually mounted iso in Vista on an HP Pavilian 6000.
Everything works great so far. I installed restricted drivers for the wireless and the video.
I need to ignore the lid switch but in Power management: "When laptop lid is closed" option,
there are 4 choices but no "Do Nothing" but this blanks my external monitor also.
I can turn the monitor off in the nvidia program so all I need is to ignore the lid switch.

Great work on Mint 10 btw,

q a z
qaz20

Post by qaz20 »

sorry if this is the wrong place, but I found a solution in
an Ubuntu bug report on launchpad:

Troy R. wrote on 2009-10-29:
There is a potential workaround for this issue.
In GConf (using gconf-editor, for example) set the key
/apps/gnome-power-manager/buttons/lid_ac
to the value 'nothing' without single quotes.

This worked like a charm.
I should have googled more!
kjell75

Post by kjell75 »

Installed Mint 10 RC on my Acer Aspire 5684.

My touchpad doesn't work, I hope this will be fixed in stable.

I did not quite understand the threads about fixing the Synaptics touchpad, since I am proud to be a Newbie.
Therefore hoping for the easy solution: someone else fixes it for me.

:wink:
candtalan

Post by candtalan »

Smiff2 wrote:
'https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-relea ... bug/659106
if carried into mint you could lose existing OS installs.' that is.. really bad. beyond bad.
thanks for the warning since i would likely have hit this.
what other ways are there to install ubuntu/mint?
As far as I know, all the *other* options and features of the 10.10 installer are quite ok, for example the normal resize option works well. I happened to use the particular feature option within the install side by side choice which I and a few others, stumbled upon.
The resize side by side, works ok. For example, the largest available useful partition is offered for resizing and use for the new install, then the resize slider can be taken to its limit if you wish, leaving only about a GB of the original partition, with the new resized partition using pretty much what you had intended.

hth
Smiff2

Post by Smiff2 »

can't really understand you sorry, but if mint can't include a bug fixed installer, it should have a massive warning telling user what not to use! or, a fixed installer..
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Smiff2 wrote:can't really understand you sorry, but if mint can't include a bug fixed installer, it should have a massive warning telling user what not to use! or, a fixed installer..
Looking at the bug there doesn't appear to be a large userbase affected by it (as per the bug "This bug affects 2 people"), for if it was the bug posting would be rather large. I also haven't seen any posts here on Mint of anyone hitting it either, so I believe it's safe to assume the chances are rather minimal of hitting it. In any case as always back up everything, to make things rather easy I recommend Clonezilla

http://clonezilla.org/

Very simple, to use, very simple. Just put it on either a CD, Thumbdrive or go with the server version and have a server running it. Me, I just have it on a thumbdrive, boot into it and clone my system. You can have your image saved to another drive (portable or internal), NFS, CIFS, NAS, FTP, etc. It's fast, efficient and really easy to use.
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

BopNiblets wrote:When you click on the taskbar clock for the calendar, it appears halfway up the screen instead of down above the clock, anyone else have that?
Same problem here. Calendar pops up just under half way up the screen. Tried rebooting. No change. Level 1-3 updates. No change.

On the bright side my AGP ATI Radeon seems to be working fine now. In fact it's working better than ever. 1080p h264 videos play smooth now (used to be quite choppy before).
randomizer wrote:
grizwald wrote:As an aside, I suspect most Australian Users would look rather darkly at the name 'Julia'.
This is true. Perhaps we should name Mint 11 Kevin? :lol:
Lol! Since Mint-10 is based on Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat, maybe it should have been named Flower or Rocket-Dog. I know that doesn't follow the alphabetical progression, but gotta love those Meerkats!

Hey, when we finally make it to "Z" can we call it Zoom-Zoom (or Zoomer) after my bunny? He likes Mint (the green leafy kind).

Great work as always, Clem & team. Too bad Ubuntu broke the ATI cards in 10.04/Mint-9, but Mint-10 is rockin'!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”