switch from open to libre office?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
element

switch from open to libre office?

Post by element »

whats the best way to do this in mint 10.10? the software manager does not see all the open office apps that show in applications menu.
i would like to remove all of open office and switch to libre office. http://www.documentfoundation.org/
their site says this: "Be advised that the current beta might replace your OpenOffice.org installation."
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: switch from open to libre office?

Post by richyrich »

I see the Linux downloads are RPM based packages, which is for Fedora based distros. They will NOT work in Debian/Ubuntu based distros which use DEB packages.

You may be able to convert them with Alien but I don't know. Or download & compile the source code . .
element

Post by element »

richyrich wrote:I see the Linux downloads are RPM based packages, which is for Fedora based distros. They will NOT work in Debian/Ubuntu based distros which use DEB packages.

You may be able to convert them with Alien but I don't know. Or download & compile the source code . .
debs are here: http://download.documentfoundation.org/ ... eb/x86_64/
and: http://download.documentfoundation.org/ ... 2/deb/x86/

my question really is, what is the best way to make sure i have all of openoffice uninstalled before i install libre?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Oops ! :) Thx for sharing the link.

I'd suggest to use Synaptic Package Manager, and use the Status button to find your installed openoffice version, and 'Mark for complete removal'. You can also use the quick search feature to find all openoffice remnants too. Keep un-installing till your satisfied. :)

See screenshot below from my Mint 9 Xfce. (notice that it is quite a long list, scrollbar too)
Screenshot.png
Mozenrath

Post by Mozenrath »

Could someone explain to me why everyone seems to be switching to Libre Office?
element

Post by element »

richyrich wrote:Oops ! :) Thx for sharing the link.

I'd suggest to use Synaptic Package Manager, and use the Status button to find your installed openoffice version, and 'Mark for complete removal'. You can also use the quick search feature to find all openoffice remnants too. Keep un-installing till your satisfied. :)
when i do this it also wants to get rid of:
mint-meta-gnome-dvd
python-uno
uno-libs3
ure

is that ok?
element

Post by element »

Mozenrath wrote:Could someone explain to me why everyone seems to be switching to Libre Office?
one word. Oracle
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

when i do this it also wants to get rid of:
mint-meta-gnome-dvd
python-uno
uno-libs3
ure

is that ok?
Yes, the meta package is just a list file.

Let us know how it goes, and good luck, richy :)
colyn

Post by colyn »

Why would you want to switch from a stable suite to one that has known issues?

Per their own admission it should not be used as a working suite.
element

Post by element »

colyn wrote:Why would you want to switch from a stable suite to one that has known issues?

Per their own admission it should not be used as a working suite.
same reason i run opera 11 alpha, mint 10 rc, dropbox forum build,....
there is something wrong inside my brain.
element

Post by element »

richyrich wrote:
Let us know how it goes, and good luck, richy :)
followed this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1585017
it worked
MerelyJim

Post by MerelyJim »

Mozenrath wrote:Could someone explain to me why everyone seems to be switching to Libre Office?
Oracle recently bought Sun Microsystems, who made Java.

Openoffice was born from Star Office, also made by Sun for their Solaris OS, which had lots and lots of Java baked into it.

Oracle hasn't made their intentions clear what they're going to do with Java, openoffice, but they have sort of closed the book on OpenSolaris, and have threatened to sue Google Android's for patent infringement over Java.

The openoffice developers have seen the writing on the wall, and have decided that the only safe bet, long-term, is to strip out all the Java and other propriety code and see what can be done before Larry Elison has a bad day and goes looking for a puppy to kick.

Here's an article from The Register if you'd like to read more. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/02 ... rg_letter/
Siva Suresh

Post by Siva Suresh »

Hi

I would like to install KDE Mint 10 on GNOME Mint 10. But, I have already installed LibreOffice on my Mint GNome. Now When I add Mint KDE 10 repositories and hit upgrade, it says that LibreOffice has to be completely removed to proceed as it comes with OpenOffice. How can I avoid this conflict. Should I remove LibreOffice to install Mint KDE 10?

Return to “Software & Applications”