Please give me one sound reason, i need it....

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Please give me one sound reason, i need it....

Post by mzsade »

..why i should upgrade from my perfectly good and long term supported Isadora, to Julia which will not even be LTS....i feel rather left out as i am not keeping up with the developments here... :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Please give me one sound reason, i need it....

Post by Oscar799 »

If you feel Julia doesn't have anything you absolutely "must" have then stay with Isadora,it is,as you said an LTS release
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

The answer I always give to this question is If it's working well and does all you want it to do, why upgrade? Many, if not most of the improvements in Mint 10 will eventually find their way into the backport repos and you can install them on Mint 9 if you want them.

The only reason to upgrade to Mint 10 is if Mint 9 is not doing the job for you or you want to stay on the cutting edge. Of course, if you have the space on your hard drive, you could dual boot Mint 9 and Mint 10. Then you would have it both ways.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

I have not tried out Julia so this is just my uneducated opinion, but if she is anything more "cutting edge" it couldn't be by more than an eyelash.
Besides i am so cosy now with Isadora!
Gramps50

Post by Gramps50 »

I have to agree if the insn't anything in Julia that you need or want then stay with what you have.

Maybe I should have been a politician......................... naw bad idea :D
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Gramps50 wrote:Maybe I should have been a politician......................... naw bad idea :D
You're probably too honest. :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Aging Technogeek wrote:The answer I always give to this question is If it's working well and does all you want it to do, why upgrade? Many, if not most of the improvements in Mint 10 will eventually find their way into the backport repos and you can install them on Mint 9 if you want them.
What he said.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
linmint777

Post by linmint777 »

the adrenaline produced by testing a new version of mint but.... if you are not excited,
stay with mint 9.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

linmint777 wrote:the adrenaline produced by testing a new version of mint but.... if you are not excited,
stay with mint 9.
Now that's a sound reason if ever there was one...i think i will use my Statler partition, as it is i have messed it up too much..thanks for the push. :)
ezas

Post by ezas »

Ummmm a good reason. Hmmmmm, can't think of a good reason except that it seems a little faster. I know there are lots of 'under-the-hood' improvements and no doubt new versions of apps in the repos. But in daily use it doesn't feel any different to me. Devede, Deluge, Banshee, Chrome all running happily. I'm really happy about Banshee cuz it does NOT like my other KDE distro.

You know your needs the best. The fact that you are asking means you should probably stay where you are and be happy.
hoe

Post by hoe »

Like Aging Technogeek has said the best way is to have a second partition to install 10 on. I always install the newest Mint this way and make it my main after l have it set up the way l like and am satisfied with it. I leave the older one intact until the next new Mint is released. You will never be satisfied until you try the latest ...

Wayne
Fred

Post by Fred »

mzsade,

Take notice between the meanings of the words "need" and "want". They aren't the same thing at all my friend. :-)

Fred
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Sorry, just got my connection back, some underground optic fiber cable damage..
Fred, Now why would you be a spoilsport and split hairs like that? i wanted a categorical imperative so much! :lol:
gordon.cooke

Post by gordon.cooke »

My prediction for what will happen on my computer:
I'll wait for Mint 10 to be released, install it alongside my current Mint 9 and LMDE to try it out.
I'll probbaly not find it enough of a reason to go through the hassel of resetting up (I do alot of customizing). Although the new mint menu looks VERY tempting.
So most likely stick with the LTS, but still tracking what goes on with LMDE improvements.
Eventually switch from Mint 9 LTS to LMDE (yay rolling distro!)

Then again I could be wrong. I've re-installed mint the last few releases.
markfiend

Post by markfiend »

For what it's worth, I'm sticking on the LTS.

I'm dual-booting Mint and Arch at the moment, with a view to shift over predominantly to Arch in the long run. (No offence to Mint, I still think it's a wonderful distro, but it's "newb"-oriented and I'm starting to outgrow that approach.)
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

So i went ahead and did it, of course i am going to keep the LTS too, but this lady is smooth, as always everything went smoothly, driver installation, hddtemp, etc., i am glad i did it.

Return to “Open Chat”