How does redhat work?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nolag

How does redhat work?

Post by nolag »

I know Redhat is open source. I know redhat charges for a copy. How? Can't I download the source and compile myself a free copy? Also does GPL allow you to charge for a copy? I thought you can only charge for support? I wanted to try it in a VM, sine so many servers run it, but I don't want to pay for any linux!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How does redhat work?

Post by caf4926 »

If you want free Red Hat - Then it's fedora
Red Hat is the business end

Like Novell Suse Linux Enterprise and openSUSE
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
MysticGold04

Post by MysticGold04 »

Yep what he said.. grab the latest Fedora 14 and give it a try - it was released today.
nolag

Post by nolag »

I have tried Fedora (did not like it), but I was more curios how it is not a violation of GPL to do what they do. Also I was more interested in the server stuff that red hat enterprise linux has. I found out that CentOS is, apparently, red hat but removed logos and changed repos :P.

Thanks for the replies :).
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

nolag wrote:I know Redhat is open source. I know redhat charges for a copy. How? Can't I download the source and compile myself a free copy? Also does GPL allow you to charge for a copy? I thought you can only charge for support? I wanted to try it in a VM, sine so many servers run it, but I don't want to pay for any linux!
You know I haven't seen any indication that you can't market market under GPL. Take at look at their website I am fairly sure there is a full copy of the license posted there. As to a RH alternative, take a look at CentOS. Enjoy
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

caf4926 wrote:If you want free Red Hat - Then it's fedora
Red Hat is the business end

Like Novell Suse Linux Enterprise and openSUSE
NO! Fedora is NOT a Red Hat clone. CentOS and Scientific ARE Red Hat clones. You can also want to read my post here and also the one by FedoraRefugee just above mine in the same topic: "Fedora is not the free version of RHEL."
nolag wrote:I found out that CentOS is, apparently, red hat but removed logos and changed repos
Yes, CentOS IS Red Hat minus logos, branding...
nolag wrote:I know Redhat is open source. I know redhat charges for a copy. How? (...) Also does GPL allow you to charge for a copy? I thought you can only charge for support? I wanted to try it in a VM, sine so many servers run it, but I don't want to pay for any linux!
You know, it's not the only distro where one asks you to pay and no, this is not a violation of the GPL. :) http://www.redhat.com/rhel/benefits/
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Return to “Chat about Linux”