unable to send files via pidgin

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ghervasze

unable to send files via pidgin

Post by ghervasze »

hi everybody.
1. i can't seem to succeed in transferring any files between pidgin (lin) and yahoo messenger (win). i get "user canceled the transfer" while receiving OR transmitting.
2. no matter what i do, no peers can connect to my torrent client. i think it must be smth related to the port? on the same machine, under win it works just fine.

i am running LM10 live, within a wired LAN with a linux server for www access. the server is linked to an optical fiber modem. i have tried doing this within the lan and also outside the lan. firewall is down. this is a win machine and if i do boot into win, ymess transfers like a charm. so i suspect either smth with the linux configuration or is this a pidgin issue?

please, please let me know if there is an instant messenger out there that supports yahoo protocol and would work or let me know how to configure this one if that is the case. this is pretty much the only thing keeping me from formatting my hdd and installing LM. thank you.

PS tried empathy: no luck.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Elisa

Re: unable to send files via pidgin

Post by Elisa »

ghervasze

Post by ghervasze »

i tried several port with deluge (i liked it best) and when i press the test button, i get the red/orange symbol. is there a certain port i should try? how can the port work for my torrent client under win but not under lin?

i am attaching a screenshot of my win torrent client, if this might help - i am running LM10 live on this pc, i just rebooted. you see the green circle on the bottom - "accepting incoming connections".

there is no point in sending a screenshot of ymessenger transferring files under my win setup, i guess.

if there is any further info i can provide, i'll do so.

elisa, your input is appreciated.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

When I open Deluge and check the random port test, I get green check. What do u get ?
http://yfrog.com/jqpreferences001p
ghervasze

Post by ghervasze »

this is what i get:
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

Are you behind a proxy server ? Then you need set the proxy settings in he Proxy tab in that preferences window.

Also you mentioned you run the LiveCD LM. Maybe if you didn't install all updates that's the point, you will need update even the Deluge.

Have a look here, it might help:

http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtop ... =7&t=33119
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s ... tion/42360
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1058330
http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtop ... =7&t=10765
Last edited by Elisa on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ghervasze

Post by ghervasze »

nope, no proxy.

i have tried the above links, not much help. i don't get it though how come it works under win. this must be an internal setup issue with deluge or linux. i am sure i am missing something. i tried netstats and chose a listening port from there but still no use.

i am not using the live disc within windows but i booted from it.

maybe i am saying smth stupid, but what if i download team viewer for linux or some other remote desktop app and give smb a shot at this?

i tried the shields up site this is the test output:

Attempting connection to your computer. . .
Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet!
Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.
Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

and this is from whats my IP

515 Timeout TCP/IP Printer Sharing
631 Timeout TCP/IP Printer Sharing
3282 Timeout Apple Remote Desktop
3389 Timeout Windows Remote Desktop
5190 Timeout AOL Instant Messenger (AIM)
5050 Timeout Yahoo Instant Messenger
4443 Timeout Yahoo Instant Messenger File Transfer
1863 Timeout MSN Messenger
6891 Timeout MSN Messenger File Transfer
1503 Timeout MSN Messenger Application Sharing
5631 Timeout PC Anywhere
5632 Timeout PC Anywhere
5900 Timeout VNC
6667 Timeout Internet Relay Chat (IRC)

this is funny :lol: my computer is TOO secure.
ghervasze

Post by ghervasze »

i just got a hunch. could it be that i am encountering all these issues because i am running the live version as opposed to the installed one??

Return to “Beginner Questions”