Configuration files on update. Keep or Replace?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
indaymadel

Configuration files on update. Keep or Replace?

Post by indaymadel »

What do you usually do with configuration files on update? Keep? or Replace?

I always do Replace as I did not customize configuration files, but is it safe? Or did Mint made changes to these configuration files and choosing Replace is not safe?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thetank

Re: Configuration files on update. Keep or Replace?

Post by thetank »

backup the file location.

test the update.

reply with results
indaymadel

Post by indaymadel »

I always choose replace and this time, my login screen changed.
Logo above my name changed to debian logo.
Background of the login screen changed from Mint green background to something like a blue debian wallpaper with debian logo in it. As if, Mint branding has been replaced by Debian branding.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

I usually pick 'N" which is the default most of the time, let's you keep the config you already have.

If you use smxi there is a list of packages that you must say Yes to.
vooid

Post by vooid »

indaymadel wrote:I always choose replace and this time, my login screen changed.
Logo above my name changed to debian logo.
Background of the login screen changed from Mint green background to something like a blue debian wallpaper with debian logo in it. As if, Mint branding has been replaced by Debian branding.
same here
specmod0

Post by specmod0 »

same here too...... :shock:
doktordave

Post by doktordave »

I updated and noticed it wanted to change "/etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults" and replaced. It also created a "/etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults.dpkg-old" file, with my prior settings. You can edit "greeter.gconf-defaults" to change the background, icon, and theme on the login screen to your taste.

gtk_theme and icon_theme need to be available to all users to work here.
indaymadel

Post by indaymadel »

craigevil wrote:I usually pick 'N" which is the default most of the time, let's you keep the config you already have.

If you use smxi there is a list of packages that you must say Yes to.
im using dist-upgrade. also using sid repo instead of testing. though, config has been replaced, nothing seemed to be broken. or maybe it's just that I haven't found out yet that something got broken.
Matt3223
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Matt3223 »

I went with Yes when asked as well, and too have the Debian background at log in.

I kind of like it! Shows the nice looking Debian background, then transforms into Mint as I log in. Looks cool, neat transition.

As far as what is the appropriate thing to do... I dunno, I'm learning. Good to hear about the -old file that was created. :)

If this weren't a test install just to see how things go, I guess I'd have been sure to do a full back prior to dist-upgrading...
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Post by det4100 »

I usually locate the file and read the changes to determine if I want the file to be replaced. You can compare the two files by clicking on the little button on the warning window. The entries with "-" in front are the original lines in the file and the entries with the "+" are the new or different lines in the files. Most times you can tell from here what the config file does. You wouldn't want to replace your samba config after spending the week figuring out how to get your computers to share files. :D

det4100
det4100

Running Mint Debian
indaymadel

Post by indaymadel »

det4100 wrote:I usually locate the file and read the changes to determine if I want the file to be replaced. You can compare the two files by clicking on the little button on the warning window. The entries with "-" in front are the original lines in the file and the entries with the "+" are the new or different lines in the files. Most times you can tell from here what the config file does. You wouldn't want to replace your samba config after spending the week figuring out how to get your computers to share files. :D

det4100
Thanks. Yeah, I've encountered comparing files. It's just that I don't know which one is original and which one is new. Not until i've read you post. :D
pappfer

Post by pappfer »

Could someone post the (original LMDE) content of "/etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults", please?
indaymadel

Post by indaymadel »

pappfer wrote:Could someone post the (original LMDE) content of "/etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults", please?

Code: Select all

# Use a specific background
/desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename	/usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint/Talento-1.jpg
/desktop/gnome/background/picture_options	stretched

# Theming options
/desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme		Shiki-Wise
#/desktop/gnome/interface/icon_theme		gnome-wise

# Greeter options
#/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/logo_icon_name 	debian-swirl

# Some other possible options
#/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/banner_message_enable		true
#/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/banner_message_text		Welcome
#/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_restart_buttons	false
#/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list		false

# The lower panel doesn't work with the compositor
/apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager		false
pappfer

Post by pappfer »

Thank you, indaymadel! ;)
dimbulb1024
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dimbulb1024 »

doktordave wrote:I updated and noticed it wanted to change "/etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults" and replaced. It also created a "/etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults.dpkg-old" file, with my prior settings. You can edit "greeter.gconf-defaults" to change the background, icon, and theme on the login screen to your taste.

gtk_theme and icon_theme need to be available to all users to work here.
And a noobie to LMDE sez ... Ahhh, I just learned something. I like that. Thanks doktordave :D
Now let's see if I can toast my install by playing with those a bit. Hell, my /home is on a separate partition! :shock:
Thinkpad X270 | I7-7600, 16GB, 4TB SSD | LM 20 & Win10 | Daily Driver
Thinkpad X260 | i5-6300, 16GB, 2TB SSD & 2TB External | LM 20 & Win10 | Home Desktop
Thinkpad T420 | i5-2500, 16GB, 500 SSD & 4TB External | LM 20 | Kodi & Streaming
mads

Post by mads »

Thanks indaymadel for asking this question and posting the original "/etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults". This question was also my main concern while updating my LMDE for the very first time. And thank you doktordave and det4100 for your valuable answers. I just want to add a few details in case some other LMDE users are wondering about this issue.

So far it has been 3 configuration files (please correct me if I am wrong) in the update process which a warning window has popped up asking:

"The following changes are found in the packages you are about to install... A newer version has come but will overwrite the original ... Do you want to keep or replace?"

These 3 files are: /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf, /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults and /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf.
If you answer "keep", a copy of the newer version will be saved in the same folder as the original file with the suffix ".dpkg-dist", for example "daemon.conf.dpkg-dist".
If you answer "replace", the original file will be overwritten by the new one, but a copy will be saved in the same folder with the suffix ".dpkg-old", for example "daemon.conf.dpkg-old".

You can compare the files during the update process in the way det4100 has explained and decide whether to keep or replace them. You can also undo your action and all changes afterward in the way doktordave has explained.
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Post by det4100 »

Very well said mads :D
det4100

Running Mint Debian

Return to “LMDE Archive”