cannot detect CD/DVD in Nautilus

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

cannot detect CD/DVD in Nautilus

Post by mzsade »

Hi,
It started after i burnt a DVD this morning. No CD/DVD, blank or otherwise shows in Nautilus. I can boot with a live CD/DVD so the DVD writer is working as far as i can tell. Shed some light please, anyone? Tried "open disc" with VLC, application froze and had to use the kill command twice for it's PID before it would close. Tried sudo mount /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom0, but that froze too, cursor in the terminal kept blinking, had to end process by closing terminal.

I don't know if this is relevant but my other two partitions 10 GB Statler and 116 GB Data partition--before this i had to mount each of them on /media/Data before i could open them, whereas now i can open them at will without mounting them, i checked with umount", they are not mounted....?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Re: cannot detect CD/DVD in Nautilus

Post by mzsade »

er..bump?
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Is my problem not stated clearly enough..should i just give up on this...?
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

I think ppl may not have an answer here ... try the ubuntu forum too.
After all, Mint almost = Ubuntu.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Thank you for your reply, alpha1, i was beginning to tire of talking to myself. But i cannot believe that nobody here knows how to get around this:
Can boot with live CD/DVD
Cannot see CD/DVD in Nautilus, before, insertion of even a blank CD/DVD would trigger a question on what i wanted to do with it, now nothing. Surely, there must be some logs that i can view, some commands to troubleshoot or trace the cause.
robert-e

Post by robert-e »

Hi,
This has been a problem for at least a month, although it seems to pertain only to DVDs. AFAIK, it has not been fixed. You might want to search these forums for a thread discussing the problem in detail. An aside, if you boot with the DVD disc in the drive, it will detect it...just not if it is inserted after booting. This is not a problem in fedora, so I imagine it must be something happening in the startup. Also, it seems that it does not detect a floppy drive anymore. I don't know if the two problems are related.

Regards,
Bob
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

then it should be consistent one - I remember installing Mint 9 gnome when it was released.
But I faced no such problem (watching DVD movies).

Thats anopther point that Linux still doesn't have decent drivers and players to tackles protected DVDs.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

This is indeed a strange one, i can burn CDs/DVDs (gnome-baker never let's me down unlike Brasero), just can't read or play them..because i can't @#$%ing see them! :deranged hysterical laughter:,

forgot to mention, same problem in my Statler xfce partition's file manager, in fact even in my virtual XP's explorer, i can see the DVD drive but when i click on it, it's empty. Something (update?) has buggered up file managers across all partitions and operating systems.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

mzsade wrote:forgot to mention, same problem in my Statler xfce partition's file manager, in fact even in my virtual XP's explorer, i can see the DVD drive but when i click on it, it's empty.
Sounds like a bad drive to me if it's the same across 3 operating systems.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

markcynt wrote:
Sounds like a bad drive to me if it's the same across 3 operating systems.
How can that be if i can boot with a live CD, burn CDs/Dvds...? My guess is it's something to do with Permissions because the problem started after i opened an unmounted partition with gnome-baker's file browser (and successfully burned a movie ISO--of course i had to watch it on a DVD player to verify that), now i can open all partitions in Nautilus even when they are not mounted on a folder in /media.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

If you have room on your hard drive try a new Mint install and see if everything works in the new install.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED]cannot detect CD/DVD in Nautilus

Post by mzsade »

There was a kernel upgrade available in Synaptic, got it (replaced all etc/issue configuration files when asked)and rebooted--it's like magic! :D

"Poking around in my system brings )
( surprises and experience" )
( )
( Husse Mar 5 2007 )
------------------------------------
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Re:cannot detect CD/DVD in Nautilus

Post by mzsade »

And it repeats itself, right after i burn a movie iso with gnome-baker..across both my partitions, this time the second partition is Mint 10..and i don't even have a kernel upgrade option left in Synaptic. And please don't anybody ask me to reinstall, it took me some time making Mint 9 my own..now Mint 10, i will reinstall on it in a minute. Wait, just occurred to me, why not, whatever it is it's affecting both partitions, will get back after i try it out.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Nope, didn't work. Anybody else please, don't let me stop you. :(
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

I am going to upgrade to 2-6-33.5-lucid from here, http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/ma ... 3.5-lucid/. Is there something i should know about this kernel version? Some bugs, driver compatibility issues, etc.?
I have got 2.6.32.25 at the moment. Is it too big a jump, should i get an earlier version?
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED]cannot detect CD/DVD in Nautilus

Post by mzsade »

See, I told ya..a kernel upgrade would fix the problem..and even though i cannot find the upgraded kernel in the boot options (yeah i did sudo update-grub), it seems to have fixed the problem in my old kernel. :mrgreen:

Let's try that other contention of mine, that this bug affects file managers across all partitions and operating systems..i will now log into Mint 10 and see if i can detect my CD/DVD in Nautilus.

Yes, i can! BTW, this Julia is perceptibly faster...
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Re:[SOLVED] cannot detect CD/DVD in Nautilus

Post by mzsade »

Well, it seems that after an update and a reboot, i can boot from my latest kernel after all..man, am i clever or what! And all this with almost no knowledge of bash. How much easier can anybody want it? Thank you, Mint. Hello, Windows people, wakey, wakey! :D

Return to “Hardware Support”