Attention: Moderator please delete this

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
crborga

Attention: Moderator please delete this

Post by crborga »

Moderator please delete topic
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 8 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: HOWTO: Install Burg Boot Loader

Post by Aging Technogeek »

You do not have to compile anything to install Burg. Go to this site http://code.google.com/p/burg/wiki/InstallUbuntu, add the ppa to your sources.list and install Burg using the procedure outlined.
crborga

Re: HOWTO: Install Burg Boot Loader

Post by crborga »

Aging Technogeek wrote:You do not have to compile anything to install Burg. Go to this site http://code.google.com/p/burg/wiki/InstallUbuntu, add the ppa to your sources.list and install Burg using the procedure outlined.
I used that repository as a source only because I read Ubuntu package are not compadible with LMDE. I'm not sure if the binaries work fine but I didn't want to risk it.
Aging Technogeek

Re: HOWTO: Compile and Install Burg Boot Loader

I have installed Burg in LMDE via apt-get using the binary ppa
and procedure (for installation in Lucid Lynx) listed in my post above with no problems. In spite of what some posts here say, there are a few Ubuntu apps that are compatible with Debian. This seems to be one of them.
crborga

Post by crborga »

Aging Technogeek wrote:I have installed Burg in LMDE via apt-get using the binary ppa
and procedure (for installation in Lucid Lynx) listed in my post above with no problems. In spite of what some posts here say, there are a few Ubuntu apps that are compatible with Debian. This seems to be one of them.
Well i guess this is here for those who want to compile to make sure it works right.
azathoth

Post by azathoth »

crborga wrote:
Aging Technogeek wrote:I have installed Burg in LMDE via apt-get using the binary ppa
Well i guess this is here for those who want to compile to make sure it works right.
Yeah, I'd tread carefully with anything from the beelzubuntu repos, even if it works initially. If and when Canonical decides to change something they do not worry about and do not test for Debian compatibility. Might work out well in the long haul, might not. A bootloader gone wrong is usually an easy fix, but using their repos certainly isn't a great habit to get into. :wink:
Aging Technogeek

azathoth,

I think you are confusing things. Burg is not a product of Canonical. It is provided by the same people who provide Grub to Ubuntu, Fedora and many other distros.

The ppa is not from or in the Ubuntu repos, it s downloaded from Launchpad. It is the same ppa that crborga recommends downloading to compile Burg. The only difference is he uses the source code file and I recommend adding the binary file to your sources list.

I just feel that compiling something that is already compiled and offered in a binary package from the same source is unnecessary work.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

I do wonder if Lucid is the most compatible with Debian Squeeze/testing.

On other forums I have seen posts saying that Lucid packages were too old and Maverick too new.
crborga

Post by crborga »

jeffreyC wrote:I do wonder if Lucid is the most compatible with Debian Squeeze/testing.

On other forums I have seen posts saying that Lucid packages were too old and Maverick too new.
not sure but it's working perfectly using the method above for me
Adidi

Post by Adidi »

Hi all,

With debian/testing repository I can't compil burg because of gcc 4.6 bug (i think):

Code: Select all

/home/adidi/burg/burg-1.98+20100623/efiemu/main.c: In function ‘grub_efiemu_prepare’:
/home/adidi/burg/burg-1.98+20100623/efiemu/main.c:288:14: erreur: variable ‘err’ set but not used [-Werror=unused-but-set-variable]
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors

make[1]: *** [efiemu_mod-efiemu_main.o] Erreur 1
make[1]: quittant le répertoire « /home/adidi/burg/burg-1.98+20100623/build/burg-common »
make: *** [build/burg-common] Erreur 2
dpkg-buildpackage: erreur: debian/rules build a produit une erreur de sortie de type 2

Any idea to pass out?
alirezaimi

Post by alirezaimi »

Hi
I have this error when i want fakeroot:

cd .. && fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage && cd ~/burg/burg-themes-1.98+20100623 && fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage
error:

alireza@alireza-lap ~/burg/burg-1.98+20100623 $fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage && cd ~/burg/burg-themes-1.98+20100623 && fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage
pkg-buildpackage: export CFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: export CPPFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): 
dpkg-buildpackage: export CXXFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: export FFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: export LDFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): 
dpkg-buildpackage: source package burg
dpkg-buildpackage: source version 1.98+20100623-1
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Bean <bean@ubuntu.localdomain>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture amd64
 dpkg-source --before-build burg-1.98+20100623
 debian/rules clean
/usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/simple-patchsys.mk:31: WARNING:  simple-patchsys.mk is deprecated - please use source format 3.0 (quilt) instead
debian/rules:39: *** missing separator.  Stop.
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules clean gave error exit status 2
why??

Return to “LMDE Archive”