No network connection

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ForeverNoob
Level 1
Level 1

No network connection

Post by ForeverNoob »

Hi folks,

As of yesterday my Cassandra lost network connection. The networking applette in the taskbar has a small red X on it and the tooltip says "No network connection". I know everything - modem, router, network cable - is OK because WinXP works fine. I can ping localhost, but not to the outside world. Where do I start?

TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Re: No network connection

Post by JAK »

ForeverNoob wrote:Hi folks,

As of yesterday my Cassandra lost network connection. The networking applette in the taskbar has a small red X on it and the tooltip says "No network connection". I know everything - modem, router, network cable - is OK because WinXP works fine. I can ping localhost, but not to the outside world. Where do I start?

TIA
Are you running a Static or DHCP network?
ForeverNoob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ForeverNoob »

JAK wrote:

TIA
DHCP
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JAK »

ForeverNoob wrote:
JAK wrote:

TIA
DHCP
If you go to MintConfig > Networking > Network Tools, do you see your NIC listed at the "Network Device:" dropdown list, most likely as "eth0"? If so, are the settings correct? If all the information or any part of it is not correct, then click the "Configure" button to the right of the dropdown list and change the settings if needed.
Another thing to check is if your NIC shows up at all in the Hardware Information listing. (Preferences > Hardware Information).
ForeverNoob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ForeverNoob »

JAK wrote:
ForeverNoob wrote:
JAK wrote: Are you running a Static or DHCP network?
DHCP
If you go to MintConfig > Networking > Network Tools, do you see your NIC listed at the "Network Device:" dropdown list, most likely as "eth0"? If so, are the settings correct? If all the information or any part of it is not correct, then click the "Configure" button to the right of the dropdown list and change the settings if needed.
Another thing to check is if your NIC shows up at all in the Hardware Information listing. (Preferences > Hardware Information).
MintConfig shows two devices, "eth0" and "eth0:avahi" (which I understand is not a "real" adapter). The first one has "not available" on all it's entries and the "Config" button is disabled.
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JAK »

MintConfig shows two devices, "eth0" and "eth0:avahi" (which I understand is not a "real" adapter). The first one has "not available" on all it's entries and the "Config" button is disabled.
Open a Terminal window and type:

Code: Select all

sudo ifconfig eth0 up
to see if that helps.
ForeverNoob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ForeverNoob »

JAK wrote:

sudo ifconfig eth0 up
to see if that helps.
It didn't work :cry:

I think I'll give up and just install from scratch. Thank You for the help.
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JAK »

sudo ifconfig eth0 up
to see if that helps.

It's possible you may have installed a program that killed your ethernet connection. Try to remember what you were doing when things went bad and try to avoid that.

Backup your /home/username directory, do a reinstall, and you should have everything as you did before. Sorry nothing seemed to work for you unless you dare to download and compile the driver for your NIC. It's a bit involved to learn and quite likely a reinstall would be quicker.
Good Luck!
ForeverNoob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ForeverNoob »

JAK wrote:

sudo ifconfig eth0 up
to see if that helps.

It's possible you may have installed a program that killed your ethernet connection. Try to remember what you were doing when things went bad and try to avoid that.

Backup your /home/username directory, do a reinstall, and you should have everything as you did before. Sorry nothing seemed to work for you unless you dare to download and compile the driver for your NIC. It's a bit involved to learn and quite likely a reinstall would be quicker.
Good Luck!
This is getting very strange...

Backup home folder, remove Mint partitions from XP, download Cassandra ISO image, burn it and boot. The network applette shows little red X on it. Why? This image worked perfectly couple of months ago when I installed it, networking and all! eth0 properties show "not available" on everything.

Next download PCLinuxOS 2007, burn and boot. No network connection here too!

Now download DSL and boot. Again, no network.

So, three different LiveCD distros, at least two of them worked in the past on this machine, none of them work now. All this time, WinXP networking is fully functional.

What's going on here?
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JAK »

This is getting very strange...

Backup home folder, remove Mint partitions from XP, download Cassandra ISO image, burn it and boot. The network applette shows little red X on it. Why? This image worked perfectly couple of months ago when I installed it, networking and all! eth0 properties show "not available" on everything.

Next download PCLinuxOS 2007, burn and boot. No network connection here too!

Now download DSL and boot. Again, no network.

So, three different LiveCD distros, at least two of them worked in the past on this machine, none of them work now. All this time, WinXP networking is fully functional.

What's going on here?
You said it... this is very strange. You did pick a few very good choices of ditros to test but I'd like to add one to your list.... try Mepis. I have heard people claim that when all distros failed to detect their network card properly, that Mepis works. Other than that, I am at a loss. WinXP works, but Linux doesn't on that machine. Go figure.

The only other thing if you dare to try it is to find out what NIC is being detected by WinXP, download the Linux driver for that card, and compile it yourself. You can always buy another NIC of a popular brand name and try that. So much aggravation over a $15 item is not worth your time.
ForeverNoob
Level 1
Level 1

No network connection [Solved]

Post by ForeverNoob »

I wanted to let you know that the problem was solved by pulling out the power cord. Just turning off the PC wasn't enough, and it took me 2 days to find this out :(

Thank you for your time and patience.
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Re: No network connection [Solved]

Post by JAK »

ForeverNoob wrote:I wanted to let you know that the problem was solved by pulling out the power cord. Just turning off the PC wasn't enough, and it took me 2 days to find this out :(

Thank you for your time and patience.
I would not have tried that myself. I was going to suggest you do a cold boot, but then figured you must have shut your machine off at some point. It's still very strange why that happened, but now that it works, just be happy with that I guess. I'll have to remember that one.... pull the plug.
madevan
Level 1
Level 1

No network connection saga continues

Post by madevan »

I have had this problem with first PClinuxOS and now Mint 3.0 too
I have tried all sorts of fixes including investigation of networking files in /ETC/

The hardware solution (pulling out the plug) never occurred to me.
Now I have a switch on my PSU and I turned that off too.

So I will try this solution if it happens next when I bring up MINT.

Can I please ask what motherboard you use foreverN00b?

and is the NIC on board or in a PCI slot?

Thanks

Evan
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

Hello folks,
I am having a similar problem with my LAN connection, after switching to a different router.
I can't get connected to the Internet when running Cassandra KDE, while
Windows XP works. :o
There seems to be a problem with the KDE network configuration program.

Cassandra Gnome has no problem, since I have a static IP and can configure the network manually. My DHCP is out of service, BTW.

Just thought this information may help some people.

Greetings,
Blogger
Last edited by blogger on Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
dracorX

network fix - remove power cord

Post by dracorX »

Hello all

I happened to have had the same problem. For all readers of this thread, if your network stops working and you don't know why, do this check:

shutdown your pc
If there is a light constantly on beside your network plug even if pc is off, the resolution with powercord works.

As to the background:
I did some checks on it: as livedisks don't solve the problem, it's no lock by linux
So it has to be on hardware. As it is solved by disconnecting power cord (make sure to disconnect at least 5 seconds), it seems that something hinges in the memory of the nic...
madevan
Level 1
Level 1

the network saga continues

Post by madevan »

Thanks Blogger
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

NO NETWORK CONNECTION

Post by blogger »

Hello Madevan,
Welcome to the Mint gang.
Now I am frustrated myself. :( I am trying to test Celena Beta 021, which is a Gnome environment. Guess what! I can't connect to the Internet no matter if I try DHCP or a manual configuration.
On the other hand, Cassandra Gnome version works ( manual network configuration with a static IP) :?
EDIT. False alarm on Celena Beta 2. I finally managed to set the right parameters manually.

Thanks for any help.
Blogger

PS. My basic problem has been a wrong Subnet Mask number.
To get the right manual configuration in Cassandra or Celena GNOME, use the Network icon in the Control panel.

Go to Control Center>Network and then enter the correct settings in the Network Settings window.
Mark the Wired Connection icon here and click on the DNS tab.
Add your Domain Name server and go to Properties.
You will now get the Setting for Interface eth0 window.
Enter your Static IP, Subnet Mask and Gateway Address
here.
Close the window and check to see if you are connected.

Good luck,
Blogger
Last edited by blogger on Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Re: the network saga continues

Post by blogger »

madevan wrote:Thanks Blogger
Try the following, Madevan.

[b]My basic problem has been a wrong Subnet Mask number.

To get the right manual configuration in Cassandra or Celena GNOME, use the Network icon in the Control panel.
Go to Control Center>Network and then enter the correct settings in the Network Settings window.
Mark the Wired Connection icon here and click on the DNS tab.
Add your Domain Name server and go to Properties.
You will now get the Setting for Interface eth0 window.
Enter your Static IP, Subnet Mask and Gateway Address
here.
Close the window and check to see if you are connected. [/b]

I am now running CELENA beta 2 :)

Return to “Networking”