Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
J23

Questions about LMDE

Post by J23 »

Hi Clem:)

Hi @ all LMDE-Fans :)

Again and again I read rumors and opinions, which state
that Mint now from ubuntu-based versions go away .. : Smilie_trink_073:

In the future, Mint set only on Debian-based versions.
The beginning seems done with Debian Mint .. ::::

Can be assumed
that with the end of the LTS Isa9 with the end of Ubuntu-based Mint OSs can be expected?

Can you confirm or deny rumors or, etc.?

And:
Is there no real "name" for the LMDE ? Does anybody know the real name for LMDE ?

Thx a lot for your incoming answers :) -,- have a nice time :)

Best Regards.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gramps50

Re: Questions about LMDE

Post by Gramps50 »

Linux Mint Debian Edition

Can't really answer your other questions as I am not the deleloper
J23

Post by J23 »

Gramps50 wrote: ..
Can't really answer your other questions as I am not the deleloper
that´s pity.
First: Many thanks for your answer!

btw: I´m no deleloper, too. :mrgreen:

And this is the reason,
=> why I asked Clem, too. -> Maybe Clem could say anything to my questions.

In my opinion, the ubuntu-based-supporting ends with the end of LTS-Isadora..?!

My favotite Question is, whether there exists a real name for LMDE.
(Like Mint-7 is Gloria, Mint-8 is Helena or Mint-9 is Isadora...)

edit:
because my favorite language is german, I opened the same Thread in the German-Forum, too:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=59026
I hope for your understanding. :mrgreen:
azathoth

Post by azathoth »

@OP I think the jury is still out on that. Either way they go is going to mean a lot of work for Clem and the team. Either in trying to clean *buntu 11.04 up or trying to make an edition(s) of LMDE that will be suitable for the mainstream edition's user base. Their consumption of headache remedies will likely triple.
J23

Post by J23 »

azathoth wrote:@OP I think the jury is still out on that. Either way .. Their consumption of headache remedies will likely triple.
Hi azathoth :)

thank you for your statement, too.

It seems, that nobody could give real answers to my questions. Thats piy, anyway.

:arrow: Maybe clem (or another Mint-knowledgeable man) knows more about, and will answer here later :)

However:
:arrow: It is an interesting question, what is the real name for LMDe, isnt it?
:arrow: Furthermore, it is interesting, how long the ubuntu-based Mint-Editions where supported in future.

Wish you a nice time!
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Mint 10 will be here soon. I don't think the Ubuntu-based Mint distro is going away. LMDE is just a sideline, as far as I can tell. It's one I prefer, having pretty much abandoned Ubuntu, but I'm not in the majority on that.
azathoth

Post by azathoth »

sgosnell wrote:Mint 10 will be here soon. I don't think the Ubuntu-based Mint distro is going away. LMDE is just a sideline, as far as I can tell. It's one I prefer, having pretty much abandoned Ubuntu, but I'm not in the majority on that.
I've been test driving the RC for a couple of weeks now and it's pretty nice for an *buntu respin. Clem and the team did a really nice job cleaning maverick up. I probably won't be keeping it long but Clem and the team did a very good job.
J23

Post by J23 »

sgosnell wrote:Mint 10 will be here soon. I don't think the Ubuntu-based Mint distro is going away. LMDE is just a sideline, as far as I can tell...
Yes, but Mint10 is already there, I know.
http://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=15

I only said, that I believe,
that the End of ubuntu-basad Mint-Edition may perhaps coming with the Ending of the last LTS-Isa-9 in April2013
http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php

:arrow: LMDE Debian is a rolling release, thats true, anyway.
..It's one I prefer, having pretty much abandoned Ubuntu, but I'm not in the majority on that.
I`m working with LMDE and with LTS-Isa, too.
:arrow: and: I like both of them on their own way

Incidentally I have the ubuntu-10.04-LTS-gnome, which is great, too.
J23

Post by J23 »

General Information for all Mint-Fans about my Thread:

Here is the Answer from Clem per email:
Hi,
No, we're maintaining two separate distributions, one based on Debian (LMDE) and the other one based on Ubuntu (Main edition, KDE, Xfce, Fluxbox editions). There's no plan to change this in the near future.
Regards,
Clement Lefebvre
Linux Mint
Have a good time!
KenWeiLL
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWeiLL »

J23 wrote:General Information for all Mint-Fans about my Thread:

Here is the Answer from Clem per email:
Hi,
No, we're maintaining two separate distributions, one based on Debian (LMDE) and the other one based on Ubuntu (Main edition, KDE, Xfce, Fluxbox editions). There's no plan to change this in the near future.
Regards,
Clement Lefebvre
Linux Mint
Have a good time!
I doubt that. When Clem said that, Mark haven't decided yet about Unity/Wayland. That is a major change.
KLM Merchant Hubs - A Coupon & Voucher Website
J23

Post by J23 »

KenWeiLL wrote:
J23 wrote: Here is the Answer from Clem per email:
Hi,
Regards,
Clement Lefebvre
Linux Mint
I doubt that. When Clem said that, Mark haven't decided yet about Unity/Wayland. That is a major change.
You dont need to doubt on that.
This is exactly, what Clem said. -> I only copied his words in this post/thread.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I don't doubt it at all. The two types of distributions (Debian and Ubuntu-based) are quite different, and both appeal to their own audience. Mint 10 is an excellent improvement on Ubuntu, and I plan to keep on using it alongside LMDE, which IMHO improves the user experience with Debian. Just because Ubuntu intends to go with Unity doesn't necessarily mean that Mint will follow that choice. I'm sure Clem plans on going in the direction that works best for his Mint users.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
J23

Post by J23 »

tdockery97 wrote:I don't doubt it at all. There are two types of distributions ... I'm sure Clem plans on going in the direction that works best for his Mint users.
ok .. there are two types of distributions at all, ubuntu-based and debian-based .. no doubt about that.
And I´m also shure, that Clem plans going on the rignt way with both of them .. like you said. ..
We are thinking the same about Mint .. , anyway.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi all,

I have just installed Debian 64 bit as per Vincent's tutorial. I made two mistakes on my first attempt, but got it right the second time.

I think that I would be able to use it with a little effort on my part, but why would I bother.

I am running Mint 9 64 bit and it is rock solid and does everything that I want it to do for me. From my day long trial, Debian offered me nothing that I don,t already have. In fact it gave me some problems that I do not have with Mint 9. As I said I could get used to it, but unless Mint stop their current distribution and only offer a Debian version then I will not be changing.

Best regards Keith
J23

Post by J23 »

tinca wrote:Hi all, ..
.. I have just installed Debian 64 bit as per Vincent's tutorial...
Best regards Keith
Hi Keith,

thy for your answer and your statement / opinion, too.

many times I heard and read a lot of problems by installing and working with LMDE-64bit.
So I decided to install the 32bit-version of Mint-Debian.
And there are no problems, I can tell about.
LMDE-32bit ist realy fast and works fantastic.

But I also like Isadora-9-LTS-gnome very much. Mint is great, anyway.

In earlier times I only used ubuntu, but since Mint-Gloria-7 I prefer Mint.

Regards from Germany.

Return to “LMDE Archive”