Useless Bleachbit? [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Useless Bleachbit? [SOLVED]

Post by riki »

Time and time again Bleachbit fails to complete the cleaning process. It reaches the point "Clipboard 0" and then no matter how long you wait (I've left it for well over an hour on both root and home) nothing happens. 500MB+ of obsolete files that Bleachbit doesn't reach. Anyone out there experiencing the same problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Useless Bleachbit?

Post by cottfcfan »

Bleachbit always works fine for me.
Try downloading the latest deb package from here and see if that works.

http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/download/linux
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

cottfcfan wrote:Bleachbit always works fine for me.
Try downloading the latest deb package from here and see if that works.

http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/download/linux
Thanks cottfcfan, I'll try that.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

The last version is 0.8.1 but you can also try the beta version of 0.8.2 if you want. Personally, I have never had problems with this app...
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

I have installed version 0.8.1 and still no joy. No difference whatsoever. When it gets to "Clipboard 0" there is no progress. I have tried Bleachbit on other machines (for months!) and with other distros without success. :x
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

I have googled and I am not alone. I wonder why it works for some and not for others...hmmm...
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

I use BleachBit on three different desktops with different distros (deb, rpm and other distro), one is with a 64 bit Linux, and I have no problem with it. I'm sorry if you have such problem... :( Now, I have no time but another day with more time, I'll try to look at this with more precisely but for the moment maybe you can just uncheck the box about the clipboard... or/and try an older version, sometimes newer versions bring some bugs. :roll:
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

linuxviolin wrote:I use BleachBit on three different desktops with different distros (deb, rpm and other distro), one is with a 64 bit Linux, and I have no problem with it. I'm sorry if you have such problem... :( Now, I have no time but another day with more time, I'll try to look at this with more precisely but for the moment maybe you can just uncheck the box about the clipboard... or/and try an older version, sometimes newer versions bring some bugs. :roll:
Merci infiniment for your help linuxviolin. I have already tried with older versions and have had this problem for quite a while, in fact, I can't remember when it actually worked!
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

OK, well, for now uncheck the box about the clipboard and you should have this problem no more.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

At last, I am getting somewhere, sort of. :o

1. Bleachbit recovered 179.8MB by only ticking APT, Bash and X11.

2. Just ticking Localizations it recovered 119.7MB.

3. Then systematically ticking and unticking, it gradually cleaned the system leaving just 3MB. I can live with that!

Long drawn-out affair but at least I have managed (hopefully!) to do some cleaning.

My question remains unanswered though: why doesn't Bleachbit function as it should?

End of chapter. To be continued?! :lol:
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

You may also send a bug report to the developer so he can fix it in a future version...
ahz

Post by ahz »

Riki, here is your answer to BleachBit hangs at "clipboard 0" (abbreviated from the BleachBit FAQ).

"Clipboard 0" means the last thing it finished is the clipboard and it is working on something else. It sounds like it is cleaning the free disk space: if you have a lot of free disk space (more than, say, 5GB). you could be waiting a long time (more or less 30 minutes). You should uncheck the option "Free disk Space."
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

ahz wrote:Riki, here is your answer to BleachBit hangs at "clipboard 0" (abbreviated from the BleachBit FAQ).

"Clipboard 0" means the last thing it finished is the clipboard and it is working on something else. It sounds like it is cleaning the free disk space: if you have a lot of free disk space (more than, say, 5GB). you could be waiting a long time (more or less 30 minutes). You should uncheck the option "Free disk Space."
That's done it, many thanks ahz.
DataMan

Re: Useless Bleachbit? [SOLVED]

Post by DataMan »

You are running it in root mode ... right?

-DataMan
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Useless Bleachbit? [SOLVED]

Post by riki »

DataMan wrote:You are running it in root mode ... right?

-DataMan
FDS disabled on both modes.

Return to “Software & Applications”