[SOLVED]Cannot start Synaptic from menu: Mouse block warning

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Archdevil

[SOLVED]Cannot start Synaptic from menu: Mouse block warning

Post by Archdevil »

Hi all!

I have a clean new LMDE installation and I have upgraded my system to the latest packages.
I gave root a password, because I am not a huge sudo fan.

When I try to start synaptic from the menu, I see a task running on my tastbar, getting autorisation (I cannot show the correct English text, because I run LMDE with a Dutch interface) and after a few seconds I get a message in a window, telling me that the mouse could not be blocked, and something about the focus being on another program).
Like I said, the original text was in Dutch, so I cannot show the correct English text here.

After I get the error message, I close the windows, but synaptic does not start. I can start synaptic from the commandline (after SU to root).

What could be the problem and how can I correct it?

Thanks!
Archie :twisted:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Cannot start Synaptic from menu: Mouse block warning

Post by Imagus »

Archdevil wrote:Hi all!

I have a clean new LMDE installation and I have upgraded my system to the latest packages.

When I try to start synaptic from the menu, I see a task running on my tastbar, getting autorisation (I cannot show the correct English text, because I run LMDE with a Dutch interface) and after a few seconds I get a message in a window, telling me that the mouse could not be blocked, and something about the focus being on another program).
Like I said, the original text was in Dutch, so I cannot show the correct English text here.

After I get the error message, I close the windows, but synaptic does not start. I can start synaptic from the commandline (after SU to root).

Thanks!
Coud it be that Synaptic is warning you that another installation program is also running? I sometimes get this warning when I use Synaptic with another program that's trying to install something. However I don't see what this has got to do with the mouse...

Post the text in Dutch anyway (ik ben ook Nederlandstalig, dus ga je gang), I'll translate it for the others if necessary.
azathoth

Post by azathoth »

Hmmm, that's a new one. I have however, seen Synaptic break after a dist-upgrade before. It sometimes happens if Synaptic, dpkg or apt themselves were part of the upgrade. It's usually best to do those by themselves from runlevel 3. Anyway, simply reinstalling Synaptic will usually fix it.
Having the root account enabled wouldn't have anything to do with it.
rc10b

Post by rc10b »

Archdevil wrote:Hi all!

Thanks!
I had this problem with synaptic and also the Menu would stay displayed after I had selected an item. I solved both issues by deleting

Code: Select all

~/.gconf
This may have been a bit overkill as your personalised desktop settings will be lost but I had only just installed LMDE so it was not an issue for me. You could try deleting individual directories within ~/.gonf to find the culprit. The directory gets recreated with default settings the next time you login.
As an experiment you can create a new user and see whether your problem exists with this new user and it's default desktop.
Archdevil

Post by Archdevil »

Problem solved by removing ~/.gconf

Thanks!

Regards,

Archie

Return to “LMDE Archive”