Linux Mint 10 "Julia" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 10 "Julia" released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 10. Linux Mint 10 New features at a glance: Welcome screen Install codecs and upgrade to the DVD edition from the welcome screen Menu Highlights newly installed applications Finds and installs software from the repositories Search engines GTK bookmarks support GTK themes support Software manager Application icons Better categorization Update manager Ignore updates Download size Upload manager UI, speed, ETA Connection test Cancel / [...]

Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1581

Edit: The high amount of traffic generated by the release is just too much to handle for our main web server. Direct download links for Linux Mint 10 were posted here: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1587
schpunty
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 10 "Julia" released!

Post by schpunty »

Great Job!
Congratulations!
This will reside on my system for a long time to come.
Thanks to all involved for your diligent efforts.
hippy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hippy »

I have been using the RC release with no problems and will just update any 1 and 2 updates if available. Great distro this one. Thank you :)
hippy

"To touch the earth is to have harmony with nature." Oglala Sioux
vivopld

Post by vivopld »

Thank you for this great release! :D

I would like to make a small suggestion...

As you may have noticed, the main website becomes very slow when a new release is out, so I was thinking it might be a good idea the first post for every new release to have the download links and especially the torrent files. This way users will not have to go through the :( long :( loading times of the main website.

PS. I can't wait for the KDE version to come out as well as I would like to give KDE another try.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

vivopld: Good thinking, though it shouldn't be an issue anymore. The forums are in Canada, the website in Germany and the blog in the USA. Let's see how it goes and we'll adapt to the situation. For now, all websites are responsive. There's going to be downtime on the website and repositories Sunday, 14. november, from 23:30h to 15. november, 8:00h but it's not related to the release, we're moving our German servers to France.
vivopld

Post by vivopld »

I read about the segmentation of the main website, forum and blog, and I thought it should be ok this time around.
However I'm located in the UK and the loading times of the website have increased dramatically and I thought it might be a good precaution. Also I think it is more user friendly to have the download links in here,too.

I know that there is a link to the announcement, but the download links listed in it, again link back to the main website. I'm no expert but all this unnecessary linking back to the main website, when most people know what they want to download, just increases the traffic. This is why I thought having direct/torrent links here is a good idea.

Also one more thing. On the home page, the slideshow with the different releases still shows the "RELEASE CANDIDATE" in the top left corner for Linux Mint 10. Or might be caching issues on my side, but I did not want to put more strain on the server by clearing the cache and loading all the images again.
powerw00t

Post by powerw00t »

I just want to congratulate Mint's team for this most awaited release, thank you. Currently I am installed Julia via the RC, just want to know if my version is currently on Final. From the 1st day I already upgrade into the DVD version and done all the patches applied as offering by the Mint updates. How to check what version I am currently in? thanks.
deleted

Post by deleted »

Congratulation guys...
I've been running the Mint 10 x64 RC for some time. Love the stability, and the fact that x64 is not treated like a second class citizen;) Thanks.
-Hinto
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

Great news, I am sorely tempted. I tried the RC on a USB stick and really liked it. I had promised myself to stop distro-hopping after installing Mint 9 XFCE as it was an LTS release and everything works and I have spent hours getting it just how I want it. Now just one release later I'm itching to change!
Stennie

Post by Stennie »

There are no updates available to update the RC.
Still have some bugs.
Should I download the final version of Mint 10... ?
m4daredsun

Post by m4daredsun »

great job indeed

tried Mint 10 RC x64 on USB stick first and installed it as main system after a couple of day...

now I have been using it for more than 2 weeks and I love it!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Stennie wrote:There are no updates available to update the RC.
Still have some bugs.
Should I download the final version of Mint 10... ?
Stennie: yes, a couple of bugs still there and no level 1 and 2 updates
A bit weird :?: :?: :?: :?:
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

The Torrent link from http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/11/12 ... -released/ worked very well.
Last edited by StanTheMan on Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g.va.io

Post by g.va.io »

Hello,very good the new mint,bravo.
but I found a "security" problem on login screen, before try to login on linuxmint 10 press ctrl+alt+del , it will open the system monitor (then you can see from the section File Systems all the files and you can copy them to usb)

p.s.Sorry for my poor english writing.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Thank you for a great Distro. :)
:D :D
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi!
Julia Gnome 64 bit is the best linux distribution I know (I installed CentOS, Fedora, openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, Sabayon, Mandriva,(*)Ubuntu and MINT!).
Maybe Julia KDE is better? RC released? Download (no torrent)?
seeley
revdjenk

Post by revdjenk »

Thanks Clem...and team
and WOW...

I am currently running live-usb and it is as fast, or faster, than my installed mint9 !!!
again, Wow!!
I was going to keep my mint9, but I will have to play a bit more and reflect on this!!

God Bless
Doug
bhakeman

Post by bhakeman »

Great name for the new release (my 8 week old daughter's name). Looking forward to upgrading my laptop.
paulo.delavega
Level 2
Level 2

Post by paulo.delavega »

I'm speechless.

Just installed Julia over Maverick, and it's simply amazing.

Congratulations to everyone who worked on this wonderful release.
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdim »

Great job, everyone.
Quality and elegance, as always.
Many thanks from the Greek Linux Mint Community.
http://linuxmintgr.yaglb.com/
MB:MSI 770 C-45 / HD1:500 GB-->Windows / HD2:320 GB-->Mint 20 Cinnamon
CPU:AMD X4 640 3.00 GHz / RAM:4.0 GB / VGA: NVidia GeForce GT630
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

bhakeman wrote:Great name for the new release (my 8 week old daughter's name). Looking forward to upgrading my laptop.
Congratulations :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Return to “Releases & Announcements”