Servers down!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Servers down!

Post by clem »

Apologies for the inconvenience.

The entire network of our host in Germany is down at the moment. The following services are currently unavailable:

- The main website
- The blog
- The repositories
- The IRC network (irc.spotchat.org)

We hope the downtime won't last.

In the meantime, you can use the software sources tool from the menu to use a mirror for the repositories.

Early in 2011 we'll also separate these services, not only on different servers, but geographically.

Clem.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Servers down!

Post by clem »

... and... just as I finish posting this, it's back up again...

Ok, at least, if it broke for you in the last 10 minutes, now you know why it happened :)

Clem.
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

It was up just before I posted this and was pausing for long periods of time once I got connected.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Looks like servers are down again. Are we under attack :shock:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
watcheroftheskies

Post by watcheroftheskies »

Hi Clem,

I don't know whether from the Netherlands I'm redirected to the German servers. I had a lot of trouble lately to reach the site.
Does this have any connection to the trouble in Germany?

WotS, Holland
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

I had to wait a half hour to get connected to the forums. I got the Main page immediately but could not get the forum until making at least a dozen attempts. The error message was "Sql error" "Two many connections". I recognize that I am in a remote location with limited access service, but this is unusual. Hope this information helps get the situation remedied.

Users at this time, myself and one guest.

Post by 4865 »

Server is down again?
I cant connect to linuxmint.com
Where's the server hosted?
utsuwa

Post by utsuwa »

Servers are down indeed. Release of Mint 10 RC swamped them with traffic. That's what I read.

Don't panic.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Microsoft is panicking and DDoSing the servers :lol:
Dracirate

Post by Dracirate »

It's not just you! http://linuxmint.com looks down from here.

:(
Aniquibobo

Post by Aniquibobo »

Dracirate wrote:It's not just you! http://linuxmint.com looks down from here.

:(

+1

/Ani
AirValor

Post by AirValor »

watcheroftheskies wrote:Hi Clem,

I don't know whether from the Netherlands I'm redirected to the German servers. I had a lot of trouble lately to reach the site.
Does this have any connection to the trouble in Germany?

WotS, Holland
Odd, I'm from Holland aswell and the site works flawlessly.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

There still seems to be an intermittent problem. This morning (around 10am USA CDT) I could not get on at all, and since then, there is an annoying delay before the site comes up.
danweis

Post by danweis »

Seem to be down again - got about 1/3 of the distro and nothing. Can't even get to the main page.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

danweis wrote:Seem to be down again - got about 1/3 of the distro and nothing. Can't even get to the main page.
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1591

which distro are you downloading and from where? as the downtime only effects some linux mint servers and not mirror's such as

http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/linuxmint.com/stable/
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

danweis wrote:Seem to be down again - got about 1/3 of the distro and nothing. Can't even get to the main page.
Learn to use Torrents. You get files MUCH faster that way and it uses P2P technology, not standard HTTP or FTP download.
ctm1988

Post by ctm1988 »

Here in South Dakota, USA i cant get to the website either and i cant run updates on my computer either. I was trying to install my graphics driver and it wont install. Would that be the issue or is there something else wrong??
yarrgh

Post by yarrgh »

Yeah, the server has been down pretty much all day. Kind of annoying as I can't get some updates. Just hope they're back up soon
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

yarrgh wrote:Yeah, the server has been down pretty much all day. Kind of annoying as I can't get some updates. Just hope they're back up soon
I just wonder if they host the ISO files on their web server. Too many requests and a lot of downloading stresses server CPU and memory.

In the future they should just rely upon mirrors and torrents. They can easily upload a large ISO file to fileserve.com (1GB limit), Megaupload.com (1GB limit) or any other hosting company. I'll upload the 32-bit ISO file there and provide the link if anyone wants to download it.
yarrgh

Post by yarrgh »

JonM33 wrote:
yarrgh wrote:Yeah, the server has been down pretty much all day. Kind of annoying as I can't get some updates. Just hope they're back up soon
I just wonder if they host the ISO files on their web server. Too many requests and a lot of downloading stresses server CPU and memory.

In the future they should just rely upon mirrors and torrents. They can easily upload a large ISO file to fileserve.com (1GB limit), Megaupload.com (1GB limit) or any other hosting company. I'll upload the 32-bit ISO file there and provide the link if anyone wants to download it.

No need. You can go here to get to the mirrors. http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1587

Also the post about the servers being down is here: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1591

Servers should be back up around 8:00 GMT

Return to “Releases & Announcements”