Mint KDE 9 stability issues

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kooldino

Mint KDE 9 stability issues

Post by kooldino »

I recently installed Linux Mint 9 KDE edition on my PC. So far the machine has locked up on my several times. Two of which were tonight within 15 minutes of each other while browsing the web. Now, when I attempt to boot the system, the machine will lock, the caps and scroll lock lights will flash, and it displays this message:
(process:340): Glib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)
Help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Azrael

Re: Mint KDE 9 stability issues

Post by Azrael »

I've also been getting this message periodically. I'm not sure exactly why. It only happens every now and then during startup. I restart and it goes away.
kooldino

Post by kooldino »

Unfortunately my machine locks up when this happens.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Google that error
Loads of hits
I found this Solved report
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... tcount=131
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
krauser

Post by krauser »

The KDE edition is based on "Kubuntu". I had the same problems as yours, and I solved by switching to the Debian Edition.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

caf4926 wrote:Google that error
Loads of hits
I found this Solved report
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... tcount=131
Could you give a step by step on this? I'm not confident I wouldn't screw up my system trying to figure this out.
ezas

Post by ezas »

I'ts actually pretty easy and while you COULD seriously hose your system, you will fine as long as you don't touch anything that you don't know what it is or means. Simply you are going to go into your BIOS setup and Disable the Floppy drive in a few places. On the unlikely chance you do hose something up you can always exit without saving, or reboot and go back into your BIOS setup and choose to restore the Optimized Defaults.

Note: If you have a brand name computer, HP, Compaq, Gateway, Acer, etc it could complicate things. But let's take it one step at at a time and start with this info

We need to know what kind of machine you are running. Make and form factor (Laptop, desktop, netbook, etc). Also during the boot up, right at the Start it might say something like AWARD or American Megatrends Inc (AMI). That would be helpful to know. If not one of those two, see if there is anything that says xyz BIOS, where xyz is some name.
kooldino

Post by kooldino »

Updates - My system stopped locking up after I replaced hardware in the machine. I didn't have the time to trace it to a specific bit of hardware, so I ended up with a new mobo/cpu/ram/video card. Runs like a top now.
mbnoimi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mbnoimi »

I faced same issue with my laptop Acer Aspire One AoA 110, does anyone find a solution for this issue?

Return to “Software & Applications”