ATI CARD SUPPORT?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
specmod0

ATI CARD SUPPORT?

Post by specmod0 »

Are ati cards fully supported? 3D? I noticted they was releasing some kind of docs a while back? I thinking about dumping my NVIDIA card becouse i can't get the driver installed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kbkatz1

Re: ATI CARD SUPPORT?

Post by kbkatz1 »

I have been running a ATI AGP Video card and had no problems with it under LM9 Gnome and KDE. Since I switched to LMDE, Compiz isn't really working, not sure if it is an ATI problem or Compiz. I guess I'll find out once LMDE Stable is finally released.
red123

Post by red123 »

This tells you all you need to know about installing the proprietary drivers for ATI card
http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary
blowtorch

Post by blowtorch »

kbkatz1 wrote:I have been running a ATI AGP Video card and had no problems with it under LM9 Gnome and KDE. Since I switched to LMDE, Compiz isn't really working, not sure if it is an ATI problem or Compiz. I guess I'll find out once LMDE Stable is finally released.
youve got a compiz problem ... compiz is running fine here and i have an ati card 2600 mobility with fglrx drivers running it
kbkatz1

Post by kbkatz1 »

kbkatz1 wrote:
I have been running a ATI AGP Video card and had no problems with it under LM9 Gnome and KDE. Since I switched to LMDE, Compiz isn't really working, not sure if it is an ATI problem or Compiz. I guess I'll find out once LMDE Stable is finally released.

youve got a compiz problem ... compiz is running fine here and i have an ati card 2600 mobility with fglrx drivers running it
I have a ATI Radeon 9700, do I have to install fglrx drivers manually? How do I "fix" my Compiz problem?
Ali

Post by Ali »

I'm on a Mobility 5870 and used the 10.9 Catalyst drivers from AMD's site. It was a basic GUI installer and it went through fine. I've probably should've made a package out of it though, as that might've been safer. Something I'll take note of once the next (hopefully 64 bit) version of LMDE is out.
blowtorch

Post by blowtorch »

kbkatz1 wrote:I have a ATI Radeon 9700, do I have to install fglrx drivers manually? How do I "fix" my Compiz problem?
see this post for the easiest way to install fglrx drivers ... and they update when new versions come out
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 85#p314294

as far as compiz goes how do you start it?

Code: Select all

compiz--replace
will start compiz ... you can add a start up application entry using that command also so compiz starts at login

let us know if that helps
kbkatz1

Post by kbkatz1 »

blowtorch,
following
see this post for the easiest way to install fglrx drivers ... and they update when new versions come out
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=54885#p314294
got me this: "No Supported Adapters Detected"

and "compiz --replace" resulted in this:

Code: Select all

ken@Dell-Dimension ~ $ compiz --replace
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
compiz (core) - Fatal: Root visual is not a GL visual
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

Launching fallback window manager
/usr/share/themes/Mint-X-Metal/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:106: error: unexpected identifier `separatorstyle', expected character `}'

Any suggestions?
dfx

Post by dfx »

afaik Radeon 9700 is not supported by latest fglrx drivers. You could try using an older one or stick to the opensource driver radeon mentioned here http://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo
kbkatz1

Post by kbkatz1 »

I feel I should apologize to Specmod, I feel I have taken over his thread.
kbkatz1

Post by kbkatz1 »

Compiz still not working with ATI Radeon 9700 :x

Return to “LMDE Archive”