Fare thee well oh almighty Bilk ya for all I can Gates

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grey1960envoy

Fare thee well oh almighty Bilk ya for all I can Gates

Post by grey1960envoy »

I have been using Mint for around 7 months now thanks to a crashed laptop (just about 3 months old and the Windows gave me the BSOD )and really wish to thank Bill Gates and his team for making it easy to get totally turned away from M$ when they told me that to get my laptop repaired I would have to buy the OS from them and then install it fresh.I started looking at various distros and found Mint 9 .WOW what a refreshing change not only did I save a bundle of money ,but found something in it that was fun ...being able to work with my computer not on it. I am very much a newbie to the whole computer scene as I picked up my first computer in 2007 at the age of 48 years .My first unit was an IBM thinkpad M21 with XP installed and had reasonable success with learning about computers although now as I look back,I wish somebody had told me about Linux then. I would probably still be using that old brick considering it had 512 MB of ram and a 20 GB HDD can we say SLOW?!? The laptop that replaced it was an eMachines E625 with 1GB ram and 160GB HDD that my wife currently uses(it is the one mentioned earlier).I have since moved to a Dell inspiron 1525 laptop with 4GB ram and 320 GB HDD.another laptop that was destined to become landfill if my daughter hadn't given it to me.My home is pretty much microslop free except for one PC that is set up as a dual boot ,XP/Linux 9 KDE(presently).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jesica

Re: Fare thee well oh almighty Bilk ya for all I can Gates

Post by jesica »

Ah, welcome to the good life

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome grey1960envoy. Sounds like you've been through a lot in a short time. Glad you discovered Mint.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

Much happier now that I'm not worried about all those chores I had to perform in Windows la la land ,I even have hair left at the end of the day !!! Now if I could get a version of mediaface to run in mint I'd drop XP off the tower faster than a speeding bullet.CANNOT understand why we have to pay M$ to use their crappy systems ,Hell they should be paying us !Vistuh was about the worst excuse for an OS that I'd ever seen ,and in my honest opinion 7 ain't much better .The only reason XP lasted so long was there was nothing to compete with it. In my opinion just another piece of s**t from people that promised the moon and gave us specks of sand .Hell they put a man on the moon long before Gates came along and what did they use? Unix ! All microshoddy is are a bunch of crooks that stole original ideas and glommed them together somehow they missed whereas Linux got it to work almost effortlessly.
Dutchmaster
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dutchmaster »

Try Glabels.

Welcome to the Billy-Boy free zone!
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

I did try glabels and not good news there either
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello grey1960envoy,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302358
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help and discussion there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint

Return to “Introduce Yourself”