Have to restart to connect

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
czarcasm

Have to restart to connect

Post by czarcasm »

HP Mini 110-1100, Mint 10 (julia)
Just as the title says: When I wake the netbook from sleep I have to restart every.single.time(logout/in doesn't help) in order to connect to wifi,any wifi access point. I know it's not a huge issue but having to restart every time is getting old so any help is appreciated.Maybe in the meantime can someone post a command line that restarts my wifi?Or makes it retry?

More info:

*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
logical name: eth1
version: 01
serial: 00:26:5e:6c:ca:8b
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=wl0 driverversion=5.60.48.36 ip=192.168.5.20 latency=0 multicast=yes wire

Kernal
HP-Mini-110-1100 2.6.35-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Sun Sep 19 20:34:50 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

Many thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
czarcasm

Re: Have to restart to connect

Post by czarcasm »

Not even a command-line wifi restart solution for now???
:shock:
czarcasm

Post by czarcasm »

Well it's gotten worse,wifi will disconnect at random times. Which is a pain in the arse when I'm in the middle of a download. Then I have no recourse,other than restart, because the little wifi icon at the bottom disappears and I cannot click on it to reconnect.

Seriously "support boards" you cant help a guy out with a command line wifi restart?

Note: I moved to Mint because I was experiencing the same issues in Ubuntu 10.10. I did a complete wipe/fresh install of Mint but am now running onto the same wifi issue.

So,no help??
abc123

Post by abc123 »

i have the same problem! im running linux mint 10 kde, on a dell studio 15, with a broadcom BCM4313 wifi chip. when ever i close the lid or lock the screen or logout. it didnt do this to me in the gnome edition of mint. so i think it might be a KDE issue.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

While I don't have a broadcom device, I have discovered a method of getting the wifi to restart in the event it doesn't work after a resume.

To figure out which module your wireless uses, try this in terminal: lspci -vvnn <-- if your device is a pci device

I am using the ath5k kernel driver.

So, I suspend, resume, and if the device isn't working, I use sudo rmmod ath5k in the terminal. This will unload the module from the kernel. I then suspend AGAIN, resume AGAIN, then issue sudo modprobe ath5k and wifi then works again. Obviously, the smart thing to do is remember that this is a problem and unload the driver prior to the suspend. I was hoping to find a configuration file to do this with, but all the stuff I've found through the Google machine don't seem to work. :(

Now, since you're using the broadcom driver, I'm not sure this will work for you. But maybe it's a good base point to get you going.
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

Guys and girls I had the same problem with my Broadcom WiFi. I got help, here is the answer:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 7&start=15
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

That workaround works *most* of the time for me. Thanks for helping out.

When it doesn't, my workaround is able to get it back into shape still. So at least I don't have to try and remember to unload my wireless prior to sending the laptop to sleep.

:mrgreen:

Return to “Networking”