Does LMDE Support PPa from Launchpad?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jsteele31

Does LMDE Support PPa from Launchpad?

Post by jsteele31 »

I am thinking of making the switch from Linux Mint Julie to Linux Mint Debian. I am very happy with Julie, Finally got it the way I like it *sigh* but I have a thirst for cutting edge products and the "newest" releases. Therefor I was thinking of taking the plunge. I haven't ever run a "Debian" os however its always been a member of Linux Mint, Fedora, or Ubuntu.

Question: Does LMDE support adding PPA's from Launchpad? (or does it use deb files?)

Question: Are there any advantages to Debian over Julie???? (Looking for a reason to switch haha)

Question: I noticed 64x isn't available through the website but is it available after the install by any chance?

Question: Whats the synaptic like? Does it have Hedge Wars, Vlc, ATI Restricted Drivers?\

Thanks,
Long Live Mint!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Does LMDE Support PPa from Launchpad?

Post by Carl »

1) Yes and no, for some things which actually state that there PPA is cross compatible with Debian then yes but this is very uncommon as most PPA's are for Ubuntu only

2) Well searching the forum reveals a number of things most notably': rolling release, bleeding edge etc.

3) No there is no 64bit LMDE available at the moment and is not an option after install however you could potentially install the 64bit base Debian install and then just add the repository for Linux Mint however I don't know how well this is likely to work for 64bit...

4) Basically most things which are in the Ubuntu repo's are in the Debian ones or available in a separate repository
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

My 2 cents:

1- Adding Launchpad PPA's is a bad idea, they are Ubuntu compatible and sooner or later they will break your Debian install. Always add debian-specific repositories.

2- LMDE is a rolling release, which means that you don't have to re-install unless you break it and the system will be receiving updates for the core components and applications as they are available.

3- from the blog
"- Will LMDE get all the new Mint 10 features?

–> Absolutely. LMDE will 64-bit support, an improved installer, bug fixes and all Mint 10 features this December."
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Ubuntu is a fork of Debian. Pretty much all the apps work the same way as they do in Ubuntu. The repositories are different, but Debian probably has a larger selection of packages than Ubuntu. The packages you mentioned are available in the Debian repositories. You can certainly add any repository or ppa you want. Whether or not it's a good idea to add any specific one is a separate question, and it depends on the ppa.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

If you are going to do it make sure you have a separate home partition, so when you hose your system you don't lose everything.

Return to “LMDE Archive”